Soo the LED bulbs are not fitting ??

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
haflidij
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 1.4 2013 6R

Soo the LED bulbs are not fitting ??

Post by haflidij »

So i bought those LED bulbs. I cant for the life of me get them to stay in place.
Anyone knows how to place them ?.
Normally the bulb would just be in the normal housing and go all the way into the light itself. But the LED has a big cooling thing in the back of the bulb so it wont go all the way inside the housing so i cant lock the bulb in place like you normally would.

Thanks !
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: Soo the LED bulbs are not fitting ??

Post by Dink »

looks like you have fitted the adapter ring to the lamp and not the light unit.

you probably won't be able to get the back cover on after fitting the LED lamp
Doc_House
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 VW Polo SE and 1972 GT Beetle

Post by Doc_House »

I've got the same bulbs in mine and found that these with a bit of filing worked a treat. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251985747822? ... EBIDX%3AIT replaces the standard vw bulb holder the wiring had to go out the back of the head light unit as there isn't enoungh space, I ended up wrapping it in heat shrink to add a bit more protection been in place for over a year and works well.
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

Dink wrote:looks like you have fitted the adapter ring to the lamp and not the light unit.

you probably won't be able to get the back cover on after fitting the LED lamp
I know the adapter ring i supposed to sit in the light unit. The thing is that that ring is just loose in there and wont stay in place because it has nothing to hold on. And the back cover wont go on because the cooler on the back of the LED doesnt go inside the light unit. Thats where i am stuck at and dont know what to do.
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

Doc_House wrote:I've got the same bulbs in mine and found that these with a bit of filing worked a treat. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251985747822? ... EBIDX%3AIT replaces the standard vw bulb holder the wiring had to go out the back of the head light unit as there isn't enoungh space, I ended up wrapping it in heat shrink to add a bit more protection been in place for over a year and works well.

Hmm do you have any pictures or something i can see how you did that ?. And why do i need another clamps like that ?. They are already in.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

how was the original lamp held in place?

as that is what is needed to hold the ring in place i guess that is still attached to the original lamp holder
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

Dink wrote:how was the original lamp held in place?

as that is what is needed to hold the ring in place i guess that is still attached to the original lamp holder
If you look at photo number 2 you can see on the top right there is the plug that the bulb goes in. Then you put the bulb inside the headlamp and twist it clockwise and it locks in place. But the point im trying to make is that the LED bulb doesnt go all the way inside the headlamp so i cant lock the bulb in place.
Doc_House
Bronze Member
Drives: 2015 VW Polo SE and 1972 GT Beetle

Post by Doc_House »

haflidij wrote:

If you look at photo number 2 you can see on the top right there is the plug that the bulb goes in. Then you put the bulb inside the headlamp and twist it clockwise and it locks in place. But the point im trying to make is that the LED bulb doesnt go all the way inside the headlamp so i cant lock the bulb in place.
That's because the silver bracket is the thing that locks it in place, the tabs only help to align the bulb for the reflector they don't actually hold it securely. I did this 8mths ago and started out by making a bent piece of wire into a makeshift bracket that secured the fan unit and attached onto the two hex bolts in the back of each bowl, it was ok but looked naff. Will post pictures when I'm back of my hols.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

haflidij wrote:

so your saying that you removed the metal clip off original lamp then fitted the adapter ring but the LED lamp then won't clip into that? or is it that the LED lamp just won't fit in at all?
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

Dink wrote:
haflidij wrote:

so your saying that you removed the metal clip off original lamp then fitted the adapter ring but the LED lamp then won't clip into that? or is it that the LED lamp just won't fit in at all?
I didnt remove anything. The front end of the LED bulb goes inside the headlamp but the back wont go in because its too thick. So normally the usual bulb just goes all the way in and then you lock it in place with the metal thing that the bulb sticks to. So that is the problem if the end of LED bulb wouldnt be so thick and stand out this wouldnt be a problem.
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

Doc_House wrote:
haflidij wrote:

That's because the silver bracket is the thing that locks it in place, the tabs only help to align the bulb for the reflector they don't actually hold it securely. I did this 8mths ago and started out by making a bent piece of wire into a makeshift bracket that secured the fan unit and attached onto the two hex bolts in the back of each bowl, it was ok but looked naff. Will post pictures when I'm back of my hols.
Please can you post pictures. I have still no idea on how to fit that in so it stays in place.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

it looks like without actually having it in my hands i can't help any further.
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

im in the exact same position as you!!

Im using these as my high beams, couldnt get them to twist and lock and just left them in there, now ones facing up and ones facing down ahah untill i get time to take the lights out or find a solution on here
haflidij
Silver Member

Post by haflidij »

greypolo9n3 wrote:im in the exact same position as you!!

Im using these as my high beams, couldnt get them to twist and lock and just left them in there, now ones facing up and ones facing down ahah untill i get time to take the lights out or find a solution on here
Man wtf i dont know how to place them ! . We need to find a solution on how to make them stay in place. I havent fitted them yet , i want to find a solution first :P
greypolo9n3
Gold Member
Drives: white 6r 1.6 tdi rline/gti

Post by greypolo9n3 »

Yeah, i know i can figure it out i just need to take out the light and have a look but i dont have time!