Turbo

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Sustanon250
New
Drives: 2015 gti

Re: Turbo

Post by Sustanon250 »

My gti is a Nov2015 with the old turbo. Car had done 5k miles when I decided to get it mapped . The turbo blew within 2 miles on the drive home!

Gutted! Ended up paying for the newer turbo out of my own pocket!
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

There are usually two factors that kill a turbocharger, FOD (foreign object damage) or insufficient lubrication (quality or quantity).
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

Yes it is an IHI IS12. The 2.0 has the IS20 up to 245hp...the high output variants the IS38.

Its not a bad turbo, some reported failures but not endemic and mostly early life failures. My May 2015 car is driven prety hard, has nearly 41k on the clock and is just fine.

With a decent tune/box and breating/exhaust mods you can see perhaps 270/280hp and well in excess of 300lb/ft torque. Positive about the IS12 is its relatively small but effficient so low lag and quick spool.

You can bolt the bigger turbos on with a tune and see similar gains to the eqivalent turbo 2.0.
Sustanon250
New
Drives: 2015 gti

Post by Sustanon250 »

I am considering fitting the is38 from the golf r, combined with intake, clutch, intercooler and decat, the polo should make 380ish , proper Q car then. Trouble is, how will a relatively light weight fwd car with e39 M5 power cope....
TeddyThePug
New
Drives: GTi

Post by TeddyThePug »

My turbo on my 12k 6c has just gone...
Started as a misfire.. then started making a whirring noise.. then a grinding noise, then lots and lots of smoke followed by the engine light.

Should hopefully get it back tomorrow.
xeus2eme
New
Drives: Polo 6r Blue GT, DSG

Post by xeus2eme »

Hi everyone !

When turbo blows up, is it possible to get a better one?

Something like, idk, Garrett, that could give an extra boost ?

I've seen apparently a 1.2 with a big fat turbo pushed to 200hp ...
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

Yes there are 3 x OEM turbos for the EA888 3rd gen motors all made by IHI.

The IS12 is the sole 1.8 turbocharger regardless of output. Its efficient and offers low lag but obviously limits maximum output.

The IS20 turbo from the 2.0 220/230/245hp motors is a direct bolt on, as is the IS38 from the high output 2.0's found on cars like the Golf R, Leon Cupra and S3.

A 1.8 with either of these turbos with the right sort of tune will see power increases in a similar magnitude of a tuned 2.0 that is otherwise stock.....so you'd see in the region of 300hp with an IS20 or 350/360 with an IS38.....with bolt ons that figure would increase.

Probably the most cost effective (and reversible) way of making c. 300hp from a 6C GTI is to source an IS20 from a scrappy or someone who has done an IS38 swap....then to make the power install a Burger Motorsports JB4 tuning box. Given they are not particularly wonderful at putting their power down in anything but dry conditions stock I reckon an IS20 turbo'd 6C without other fettling (suspension, brakes and a diff) would be v unruly. An IS38 turbo'd 6C would just be nuts...this would require a proper bespoke map too I suspect which would cost £££.

A JB1 box (similar to JB4 but with a few less sensors/perameters changed) gives similar gains to a stage 1 map and just makes the power delivery night and day v stock. Ita about all the 6C GTI one would need in my opinion and takes the car to about the limits of the stock chassis. Its shedloads stronger/faster in the mid range too.

Personally I wouldnt bother doing a turbo swap on a 6C unless going to town on the rest of the car. Id rather buy a Golf GTI Performance Pack, IS38 and tune it......stock its configured much like an R anyway bar the lack of 4wd but it has the VAQ diff, big brakes and would basically be a 2wd Golf R.