New Polo GTI DTUK or Remap?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

New Polo GTI DTUK or Remap?

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

Well after 6 years of being away from this forum since selling my 9N3 GTI I am back ( and remembered my password!). I'm looking at buying a new Poli GTI for my wife. Viewed it today and had a shot of a demo one.

If we do go through with the sale I will be wanting to add a little more power as it did feel a little underwhelming!

I had a DTUK box on my Golf R before going for the APR Map. For what it's worth the DTUK box was good but in reality it was more like a stage 0.5 map. Has anyone fitted one to their GTI? If so how do you find it?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Re: New Polo GTI DTUK or Remap?

Post by Dink »

IMHO if you are happy with the ramifications of a map then go with that.

in reality the way tuning boxes work are a bit Heath Robinson and i'd never put one near a car i paid good money for.

also remember the DSG box'd cars can't have a APR map
8arran8
New
Drives: 6c GTI

Post by 8arran8 »

I'm in a FB group and majority are running DTUK boxes. 50hp gain, 0-60 drops to about 5.5s and it sticks like glue to the back of golf R/S3.
Just this weekend at Crail a DTUK polo got the quickest polo time beating a stage 1 APR mapped one.
I was also wary about boxes and have always went with ecu mapping in the past but will defo be getting a DTUK box after seeing the results.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

KennyPOLO_Gti wrote:Well after 6 years of being away from this forum since selling my 9N3 GTI I am back ( and remembered my password!). I'm looking at buying a new Poli GTI for my wife. Viewed it today and had a shot of a demo one.

If we do go through with the sale I will be wanting to add a little more power as it did feel a little underwhelming!

I had a DTUK box on my Golf R before going for the APR Map. For what it's worth the DTUK box was good but in reality it was more like a stage 0.5 map. Has anyone fitted one to their GTI? If so how do you find it?

Havent you answered your own question? If you have tried both before your most likey going to have the same experience if you go for a box? Apr and revo are the biggest names in vw tuning. Remaps change the whole ecu setup of the car in turns of mapping. A box does 3 sensors max. But a box keeps warranty, a remap will not. Do BSR do a map yet? If so they allow you to load it to the car and remove it when needed with a handheld device. May be worth a look, a few on here swapped their dtuk boxes for bsr and ravved about the results but think it was on 6r and not 6c
Scott Bounce
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo 6C GTi

Post by Scott Bounce »

I'm more than happy with my Stage 1 APR.
Fox1429
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by Fox1429 »

Just contacted BSR out of interest but they don't have a map for the 6C yet. It us under development t apparently to be available with their 'plug and play' system. What's the engine code on the New GTI (6c)?
peter_dk25
Silver Member
Drives: Blue GT

Post by peter_dk25 »

DAJA, DAJB
Mikeyander5on
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo GTI 6c

Re: RE: Re: New Polo GTI DTUK or Remap?

Post by Mikeyander5on »

8arran8 wrote:I'm in a FB group and majority are running DTUK boxes. 50hp gain, 0-60 drops to about 5.5s and it sticks like glue to the back of golf R/S3.
Just this weekend at Crail a DTUK polo got the quickest polo time beating a stage 1 APR mapped one.
I was also wary about boxes and have always went with ecu mapping in the past but will defo be getting a DTUK box after seeing the results.
Is the DTUK box not just a throttle response box

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

they do throttle box but this is not it.

this box from what i can gather takes the sensor inputs from a few of the engine sensors and alters the value and sends that to the ecu.
Mikeyander5on
Getting There!

Post by Mikeyander5on »

Dink wrote:they do throttle box but this is not it.

this box from what i can gather takes the sensor inputs from a few of the engine sensors and alters the value and sends that to the ecu.
Ah right I think I've found the unit now, so does that info not store in the ecu then

Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

no because it alters values(usually lowers them) on the fly

BTW i wouldn't recommend the use of tuning boxes
Mikeyander5on
Getting There!

Post by Mikeyander5on »

Dink wrote:no because it alters values(usually lowers them) on the fly

BTW i wouldn't recommend the use of tuning boxes
Ah right, they sound good but there made to I guess... past experience?

KennyPOLO_Gti
Platinum Member

Post by KennyPOLO_Gti »

Pick the GTI up today!

Will get a few miles on it then probably just stick to the APR stage 1.

Will be sticking some springs on aswell. Sits way too high for me!
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

Mikeyander5on wrote: Ah right, they sound good but there made to I guess... past experience?

no past experience, but modern turbo petrol engines are a complex beast and just upping the boost and fueling pressures is not really the way to go about getting more power.

i'd change my mind if they come up with some proper RR'd graphs (at the wheels figures) and maybe add the AFR on it as well.

there is a reason why it took APR so long to come up with a map and REVO are still finishing there's off.
Mayhem
Silver Member
Drives: 2010 polo 1.2 tsi

Post by Mayhem »

Apr and revo are the biggest tuning cmpanies around for vw, audi etc for a reason. Tried amd tested maps that produce good results. A box that gets brought out as soon as the car is developed has to raise questions. Bsr and revo are still developing the map, and apr took a while to bring out theres so shows how much goes into it. Tuning boxes come out striaght away so are the maps good or are they just ramming up the boost and fuel. Only ones i would trust are dtuk. But again how are there boxes out so much quicker than maps from revo and bsr etc the apr map is meant to be very good. Also cheaper boxes can easily claim figures by overboosting and over fueling on a dyno before release. Almost all tuning boxes wont show a afr graph to show air-fuel inpacts, only show bhp gain graphs. You need to see afr changes really