1.4TDI bluemotion, engine temperature overheat warning

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
jhs2zz
New
Drives: 1.4TDI bluemotion

1.4TDI bluemotion, engine temperature overheat warning

Post by jhs2zz »

Hi all

I bought a 2014 1.4 TDI bluemotion which today I got an overheat warning after a short period of driving. In the past few weeks of driving I already noticed something different from my MK5 Golf in the way the temperature gauge works but I did not pay much attention until today as I thought it was normal. OK so here goes the story

- This afternoon after I drove the car in town for about 10 minutes I got on to a country road where I was doing between 35 and 50 mph with frequent gear changing/acceleration because of traffic. But it was not too hard on the engine as I never did more than 2500 rev, mostly under 2000. After about 10 minutes a 'engine overheat' warning message appear on the dashboard and I notice the temperature gauge in the red zone, however the temperature warning light was not lit. I pulled over, waited 2-3 minutes and the temperature quickly dropped to normal, 90C. The car then drives fine afterwards, even I was doing 50mph.

In the past few weeks I also notice that the car temperature rises past 90C fast when I accelerate hard, especially on hills. But then it sounds like the fan kicks in and temperature slowly drops back to normal. This seems to happen often when the car is just started for not too long. I commute 90 miles everyday between work and home, by the way.

I said this is different from my Golf because on the Golf, as soon as the temperature reaches 90C, it just stays and never goes higher.

I really don't know what's normal what's not, and I'd really appreciate if other users could share some experience.
Thankss
jhs2zz
New

Re: 1.4TDI bluemotion, engine temperature overheat warning

Post by jhs2zz »

new observation

The problem got worse, I booked in for checking but that wont happen until two weeks later, said so by VW. Would really appreciate some thought on this:

Today the engine goes overheat and temperature never drops down. I had to turn on heating max fan, neutral temperature, which actually comes out really hot. This DID help bring down the temperature to normal (90-110C). Thanks to that I managed to drive it back home 40mils away from work.

I have totally no idea why I tried that and why it worked. Does this mean some problem in the radiator system?

thanks
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Sounds like the thermostat has failed
jhs2zz
New

Post by jhs2zz »

Thanks.
Just googled and did some research, it seems make sense. For now until the appointment I just have to keep the blower full on every time I use it. Fortunately that does help bring temperature down, and weather is getting cold!
DaveS48
New
Drives: 1.4 TDi SEL

Post by DaveS48 »

Hi jhs2zz I also have a 1.4TDi Bluemotion and have recently had a similar problem. On mine the temperature rose above the normal 90 deg. C then after about 15 minutes dropped back to normal. This only happened occasionally but was definitely not the DPF recycling. My local VW dealer checked it out and advised me that the VW database indicated a water pump failure. The thermostat was tested ok. The water pump was confirmed faulty and changed under warranty. The belt tensioner was also found to be faulty and also changed. Since then the temperature has not gone above 90 deg. C, the engine warms up quicker and fuel economy has improved. Hope this helps.
Krenshaw
New
Drives: 2014 1.4 TDI

Post by Krenshaw »

Hi,

Came across this whilst researching the same issue with my car.

Felt like I needed to warn you that it might happen again.

My car had to have a new pump, belt and tensioner in June last year. It did fix the overheating, but it has recently started doing the exact same thing again.

It's booked in for Thursday so if you like I'll give you an update?
rory7
New
Drives: 1.4 POLO SEL TDI

Post by rory7 »

Hi all,

I too have a 2015 polo 1.4 tdi bluemotion, and have experienced very similar issues where the temperature gauge shoots up to the red, and the engine temperature warning light is lit.

See below repair history:

01/15 Car bought new

12/15 Vehicle overheating - water pump replaced.

08/16 Vehicle overheating - water pump replaced.

03/17 Vehicle overheating - no fault found by garage.

05/17 Vehicle overheating - water pump replaced.

01/18 Vehicle overheating - water pump replaced.

03/18 Engine died whilst driving. Failing Turbo, failing no2 cylinder valve.

To be continued...

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone help has had similar experiences - it doesn't seem like its an uncommon problem, however, now that my car is out of warranty, VW is charging £5000 for the repair, despite it being a recurring fault. Be warned...

Rx
dainish
New
Drives: 1.4 TDI SE Bluemotion

Post by dainish »

My 2015 1.4 TDI keeps overheating too, I'm now on my 2nd water pump and apparently although a reoccurring fault fixed under warranty I now have to pay because the cars warranty expired. Apparently there is no warranty on warranty work so it's now my problem not VW's :(
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

All warranty work carries a 2 year parts warranty - labour also included if it fails in that period.
KatSnow21
New
Drives: 2015 1.4 TDI

Post by KatSnow21 »

My 2015 polo has had similar issues - water pump replaced after just over 30,000 miles. Second pump failed at just over 45,000 miles. Its also needed a full replacement set of rear brakes and the condenser changed on the aircon.

I bought it through Lookers and after a lot of complaints in the dealership and to VW UK my car is now on an extended warranty until it is 6 years old - at which point I’ll probably get rid of it.

My advice would to not back down and keep complaining- there is clearly an issue with the parts being used and we should not be expected to foot the bill!
jammydodger
Silver Member
Drives: 1.4 TDI SEL (6C)

Post by jammydodger »

Definitely keep complaining, I'm on my third water pump on my 2014 1.4 TDI 90PS, failed first at 50K miles last October and again last month at 72K miles. I had to pay for the first replacement (£175), the second replacement was free as it failed 11 months after initial replacement.

Sisters failed on her 2014 1.4 TDI 75PS earlier this year at 30k miles so it's not an isolated incident and appears to affect multiple Polo's with the same engine!
weezul
New
Drives: Polo 1.0 TSI 95se 2018

Post by weezul »

Hey guys
I have a 2015 1.4 TDI SE and I also had a failed water pump. The temperature would rise to max, but never got a warning the car just felt sluggish. They changed the water pump under the warranty. I think i was at around 20k miles at the time. I'm now at 40k and i'm worried to read that it looks like it may happen again, this time without warranty :'(
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I don’t have a car with that engine, but I thought all VW Group marques that used that engine put out a service action/recall to get the coolant type changed to stop that happening - though I could be way off the mark there. It has been said that the clever design of water pump fitted to these engines has a sliding sleeve to control the quantity of water being forced round the engine to maximise efficiency - complete usual VW Group failure on not fully testing out all new designs, the seals maybe on that flow regulator were not compatible with the coolant VW Group used, you could not make it up could you?
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

I tend to agree with RUM4MO's trailing comment about insufficient testing of new designs. Is this not an indication that the crazed drive toward ever greater fuel efficiency and reduced harmful emissions, whether in fact on a diesel or a petrol vehicle, is a drive too far? In trying to meet, or even better, legislation on vehicles powered by fossil fuels, some (maybe all) design teams seem quite often now to pick some previously perfectly-good functional feature of the engine or braking system and meddle and experiment with it, incorporating the changes into the next new model but leaving the longterm testing to the fated end customer to do, effectively.

Possibly, this particular issue, as reported by jzs2zz, has come about in this instance by, say, VW having incorporated yet another design tweak to a part, or has switched to a different manufacturer/supplier of that part?

Sorry I can't actually help jzs2zz et al over their immediate problem, but that's how I see things now. Not withstanding a number of real advances in some areas, I think the technologies employed in the modern car in the second decade of the new century, whether mechanical or electrical or whatever, are now way too complex and are unnecessarily so.
jotoho
New
Drives: 1.4TDi SEL 015

Post by jotoho »

A newbie here,wishing to add his twopennorth.
My 65 reg 1.4TDi was pre-reg'd in Sept 15,arrived from Harold Wood to VW Inchcape Altrincham in what appeared manufacturers transit wrapping & showed 5 miles on dash.As was pre reg I only received 2 year warranty
I am doing approx 9,500 a year,so current mileage around 28,000.
All worked fine until I noticed gauge occasionally rising above 90C(indicated temp) in Sept this year. Took it to have annual service done a day or so later,with MOT & brake fluid change at dealership, with sign for VW repairs & servicing( not main agency).
I asked them to look at the temp whilst there. Picked car up later ,said nothing found re temp. I asked if service reminder had been reset,informed it had. Went to car,it hadn't,so doubts arose as to how thorough the temp problem had been looked into.
Since then the temp seems to rise after 18 mins travel,according to car infotainment, & if I travel a distance around maybe 15-20 miles it seems to return to constant 90C.
Obviously in view of the low mileage,being mainly due to short journeys of 4 miles into town & back,it does not occur too often.
I have the VW Extended Warranty,but with £250 excess.
It re-occurred on Tuesday this week after arriving home,so went into local garage for them to check. They found there was a cold hose in the cooling system & suspected the thermostat was faulty.
As I am responsible for the £250 excess & they said it would cost around £200 to replace,I said go ahead with renewal.
Unfortunately having done so, they found insufficient coolant being pumped around the system,so then found the water pump would need replacing. They said it would be better to have the repair done without using the car in case of damage to the engine,through lack of coolant.
At this point I contacted the Warranty company & they asked that I drive the car approx 15 miles to a main dealer(the one I bought from) to have it diagnosed I asked who'd be paying for the diags & they said I would,but if the claim was upheld,I would be re-imbursed. I mentioned the mechanic warning not to drive it without coolant,but they said that was their procedure.
I said I was not prepared to cause further damage & expense & that I would pay for the repair myself & cancel the policy. I have been in touch, with copies of my emails, with VW UK.
The garage asked me to call to see the state of the removed water pump earlier & it was clear that no amount of coolant would have been pumped,as to the side of the plastic impeller is a metal sleeve that had slid over the impeller & caused the lack of circulation. They showed me the new one compared to the old one & it was clear nothing would be pumped by the old one.
The saving grace is they bought genuine VW parts, from TPS & there would be a 1 year warranty with them & should failure occur again,possible free labour.
I have written to VW UK,with just an email acknowledgement so far.
So after Dieselgate, perhaps we will get the VW version of Vauxhall's Zafira,where no fault existed,but the fires continued.
Watch this space !