Cam belt or Cam chain?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
lebjos
New
Drives: Polo Match 1.2 TSI

Cam belt or Cam chain?

Post by lebjos »

Hey guys,

I've just bought a new Polo Match 1.2 TSI manual (66 plate). I thought it had a chain-driven cam but there seems to be a plastic cover where it should be. Does this mean it's a cam belt instead?

Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Cam belt or Cam chain?

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, VW Group seemed to be having trouble with getting chains that stayed working okay in these small engines.

So, chain>belt>chain>belt - guess what the next engine will have going by that "series"?
daydotz
Silver Member

Post by daydotz »

They went back to cam belts yours will be
lebjos
New
Drives: Polo Match 1.2 TSI

Post by lebjos »

Brilliant :?

I'll be sure to put some money aside for 40,000 miles then so I don't accidently blow up the interference engine...
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'm not too sure what the miles/years change suggestion is with these engines, but I'll need to find out though. The newer 1.0TSI 3 cylinder engines also have a belt - but at launch it was claimed to last the life of the engine, is that not another way of saying when the belt breaks, replace the engine?!? I'm sure, with time, the suggested miles/years for changing that belt will change!
KiwiME
New
Drives: 2014 Cross Polo 1.2 81kW (110PS) DSG

Post by KiwiME »

It's a maintenance-free belt now on your EA211 engine.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

KiwiME wrote:It's a maintenance-free belt now on your EA211 engine.
Maybe true right now, but I'd be keeping an ear to the ground as, as time moves on, engine suppliers tend to find that they need to "modify" their service procedures!

Ford needed to do that in the 1980s with the CVH engines, Vauxhall needed to do that with the GSI 2000 engines (dropped from 90K miles to 35K miles over night!), and no doubt many more.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Had a Vauxhall coupe 2.2 (2000 registration) and that has now done 160k (now my daughters) with a chain drive and still not noisy. VW seem to have lost the plot with chains!!
calummcauley1
New
Drives: Polo R-Line 1.0 TSI BMT

Post by calummcauley1 »

so does the 1.0 tsi i have in 65 plate rline have a belt also , i had to replace my girlfriends chain in her 1.2 s 60 plate this year after obly owning it for 6 months and it had only done 54 k and been serviced reguarly at arnold clark with the previous owner , so im currently staying away from AC regarding repairs etc

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I can't answer for sure, but if that engine has a black plastic cover over the driver's side of it, it will be a cambelt, if it is an alloy metal cover, it will be a chain.
calummcauley1
New

Re: RE: Re: Cam belt or Cam chain?

Post by calummcauley1 »

RUM4MO wrote:I can't answer for sure, but if that engine has a black plastic cover over the driver's side of it, it will be a cambelt, if it is an alloy metal cover, it will be a chain.
ok thanks , will check when im home and post what i find for future reference of others

alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

My Tiguan has a maintenance free belt, but it's 100k or 5year life realistically as my dealer has now confirmed
6RPotentialBuyer
Getting There!
Drives: Candy White Polo 6R

Post by 6RPotentialBuyer »

lebjos wrote: I'll be sure to put some money aside for 40,000 miles then so I don't accidently blow up the interference engine...
I've got a 2010 Polo S (1.2 60hp) with 43,500 miles. Cambelt/chain has never been replaced. I think VW recommend 6 years or 60,000 miles (Whichever comes first) Should I think about getting an inspection done? I've only had the car since July but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary. Last thing I want is for it to fail though :shock:
calummcauley1
New

Re: RE: Re: Cam belt or Cam chain?

Post by calummcauley1 »

6RPotentialBuyer wrote:
lebjos wrote: I'll be sure to put some money aside for 40,000 miles then so I don't accidently blow up the interference engine...
I've got a 2010 Polo S (1.2 60hp) with 43,500 miles. Cambelt/chain has never been replaced. I think VW recommend 6 years or 60,000 miles (Whichever comes first) Should I think about getting an inspection done? I've only had the car since July but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary. Last thing I want is for it to fail though :shock:
my girlfriend bought a polo s 60 plate 1.2 60ps in sept last year at 53,000 miles she had done 3000 miles in it up until may and then the car started stuttering so took it to the garage i use next tp my work who plugged in computer etc and it showed cam shaft sensor failure so replaced the 2 of them and provlem was still there , so he oppened the sump and behold thechain had jumped took it to dealer who were no help at all so had to get it replaced my self in the end i waited for euro car parts 30 % discount code got emailed to me and got the chain kit air filter oil oil filter for around £180 which was alot better than the supposed £750 i got quoted from arnold clark , i am never using them again as it had been serviced by them from new the only owner it had before my girlfriend

vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

The pre-facelift 1.2s (the 3-cyl, with either 60 or 70PS) had a chain. My old Polo, now used by my brother, has that engine (although an earlier version with 65PS) and it's on about 170k now with (I presume) the original chain. It's certainly not had a new chain since I bought it, and that was in 2009 with 82k on it.