Cam belt or Cam chain?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
KiwiME
New
Drives: 2014 Cross Polo 1.2 81kW (110PS) DSG

Re: Cam belt or Cam chain?

Post by KiwiME »

The EA211 (1.0-1.4 range, latest euro6) cam belt is polyester and runs slightly looser than you might expect. Pull the cover off and have a poke around. Mine was subject to a recall mid-2015 as the cam pulley was defective.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

So what's the general consensus on when to change these belts / chains I've a 2014 (64) 1.4 petrol (83bhp), and now sure if it needs done 46,000 miles atm.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd be playing safe and replacing it before the 5 year point, I'm trying to have this discussion with my older daughter with her late 2009 Ibiza SC 1.4 86PS - getting the message across about it hopefully being "preventative" maintenance does not seem to be working. I got all this stuff replaced on her Ibiza already at 4.5 years point, so its within 2 months of the next 5 year period.

Edit:- you do know that you might get lucky and be able to run that car for another few months/years without anything falling apart in the cam belt area - but then again you might not, and that would be a sickener and maybe be the end of that car.
lebjos
New
Drives: Polo Match 1.2 TSI

Post by lebjos »

Does anyone know if my 66 plate 1.2 TSI polo has an interference engine? I still haven't got the cambelt changed after 5 years/55k miles
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that you should assume that your engine is an interference engine, most is not all modern engines tend to be.

My wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL is now at 37K miles and I have not got the belt changed yet, I'll plan to do that at around 7.6 years old.

One thing to consider, these EA211 family of engines, in the official VW workshop manual, states that the cam belt is not a service part, in other words, there is not, at the moment, a specified time/distance point in the car's life when that belt should be replaced. After a certain service period, maybe 5 or 6 or even years, the official advice is to remove the plastic top cover and check the belt condition around its full length - and replace if it shows signs of wear/damage.

I have been doing that at service time every year since that car ran out of warranty and pre-paid service plan, so far so good.