Jack slipped

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Asamoli
Getting There!
Drives: 1.2 TSI (105) SEL polo 6r

Jack slipped

Post by Asamoli »

I was jacking my car earlier to paint the callipers. I was in the process of putting an axle. Stand underneath the car when the jack slipped and the car fell onto the stand when it was only partially under my car so it hit the sill and has dented it. Anyone hazard a guess as to how much this is going to put right? Is it going to be a big job ect? Thanks in advance. ImageImage

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Jack slipped

Post by RUM4MO »

I can't give you an answer on costs, but it will be biggish, so why not put that down to experience and accept it as being a battle scar?

I tend to fit Audi TT jacking point protectors to the four points for jacking up using a trolley jack - has always worked for me since round about 2002 when working on my wife's cars.
geo stronach
New
Drives: 2003 polo

Post by geo stronach »

Get a smart repair done to it half the price same outcome looks like nothing had happend

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
geo stronach
New
Drives: 2003 polo

Post by geo stronach »

Approximately £150

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Asamoli
Getting There!

Post by Asamoli »

What's a smart repair? Never heard of it, how does it differ from just getting it repaired?

Bigtam
Bronze Member
Drives: Polo GTI 2016

Post by Bigtam »

What jack did you use? If your doing jobs at the house why not invest in 1 of these http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj2-2-tr ... Gwod5wsMUg
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Smart (Small Medium Area Repair Technology) repairs have been around for some time. They are repairs to small areas of damage that can be undertaken without having to use a traditional body shop for the repair; in many instances, they will come to you, although as your car will require dent removal, it might not be suitable for home repair (but might still be suitable for a Smart repair). Types of repairs suitable for Smart repairs are small dents, bumper scuffs, paintwork chips, scuffed alloys etc. and they can usually be completed in a day.

There's loads of information on the internet if you do a search on 'car SMART repairs'. One of the more well known companies that undertake Smart repairs is Chips Away. Never used them myself so can't vouch for the quality of their work. I have used an independent smart repairer who repaired the front plastic bumper on my previous car and based on my experience, their work was excellent. My car had to go into their workshop for 1 day and they plastic welded and resprayed the damaged area. You wouldn't have known the bumper had ever been damaged after it had been repaired. This firm did Smart repair work for many of the larger franchised motor dealers in the area where I live and they also did quite a lot of end of lease work; repairing minor damage to cars prior to them going back to the lease companies. I'd recommend them to anyone in the Norfolk area.
derkie54
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 Polo 1.0 110PS TSI SEL 5 Door

Post by derkie54 »

I used Chips Away in Gloucester and can highly recommend them.
My previous car had scrapes and dents in rear door and wheel arch following a visit to Tesco and you could not tell it had been repaired when it was finished and it was half the price of a body shop.
CNK
Gold Member
Drives: 6R

Post by CNK »

It can be easily repaired. In this place under threshold there is special hole to maintenance chassis. In Poland each tinsmith can fix it, price: about 100-150 PLN :wink:
Asamoli
Getting There!

Post by Asamoli »

I've got someone from chips away ringing me today for a quote. And easily repaired is exactly what I wanted to hear haha

d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Post by d-ash »

Can't see how chipsaway are going to sort that damage.

Another option is to obtain/paint/install R-Line/GTI extended sills

Did the same when I damaged the sill on a Golf many years ago. Cheaper than a repair at the bodyshop
Robby71
Bronze Member
Drives: 2019 Golf R-Line EVO

Post by Robby71 »

Wouldn't want chips away putting lots of filler on there - you really need a bodyshop to pull most of the dent out first
Asamoli
Getting There!

Post by Asamoli »

I've found a body show that will pull it out for £120 so it's looking likely that's where she's off

dtuk_polo
New
Drives: DTUK Tuned Polo GTI

Post by dtuk_polo »

I done the same thing... cost me £80 to get it sorted by my local bodyshop :)
Andy1273
Bronze Member
Drives: 1.2 tsi polo

Post by Andy1273 »

Asamoli wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:53 am I've found a body show that will pull it out for £120 so it's looking likely that's where she's off

How did the repair go, was it a success?

How did they pull it out?