Head unit change

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Myk
New
Drives: Polo

Head unit change

Post by Myk »

Hi,

Just wondering if their are any simple changes for the head unit (currently have the basic one). Is their an option to upgrade to an oem screen with Bluetooth for phone?

The car is a 2011 polo, the head unit is the same as this....

Not sure what is needed. Would prefer to stick oem if possible but not sure what options I have or what would be needed.

Thanks!
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Re: Head unit change

Post by joe6 »

Currently you have a RCD310 head unit. Some come with DAB but not sure if yours has that. You can do a straight swop for a RCD510 (with or without DAB). The RCD 510 is touch-screen radio/MP3 compatible 6 CD autochanger features a large 6 1/2 inch colour display. Should fit straight in and be plug and play. If you are upgrading to DAB you will need to change the antenna amplifier to FM and DAB. You can get RCD510 on ebay but beware the Chinese ones do not have all the UK spec features. You can add a Bluetooth module but this will require coding to work and wiring.
Sankan
New
Drives: Polo 6R 1,4 -14

Post by Sankan »

I got an RNS 510 and Volkswagen original Iphone 5 (fits 5S and SE to) cradle to sell but you need to have the holder for the cradle and Bluetooth module installed in the car for it to work.
Myk
New

Post by Myk »

I'll have a look on eBay for one then!

Will these be compatible with the USB stick that goes in the glove box?

Do they come with bluetooth built in? Or do they require anything other than just the head unit being ordered?

I've seen a couple on eBay that were the rns315? but not sure if they would fit. Some come with built in bluetooth as well.

Thanks everyone!!
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

The RNS range have SatNav built in. By all means buy one but to use the SatNav you will need to upgrade your antenna with GPS.

It all depends what you are looking for. I went from the RCD310 (which you have) to an RCD510 DAB. Upgraded my antenna system and its fantastic.

However, for looks, the RCD510 Non DAB will be cheap but looks awesome because of the screen.

All will work with the multi media in the glove box. Its all plug-n-play - pop the surround off carefully, unscrew the unit, slide out and unplug. To install, its the reverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
chrispy.
Gold Member

Post by chrispy. »

For bluetooth, you will need a module installed. This can be an additional £200 for the kit if you do not have Bluetooth already installed. If you have the RCD310 2011 Polo, chances are you wont have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Myk
New

Post by Myk »

guess it will need the bluetooth adapter!

would one of these not do... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/bluetooth-mod ... -l4eVDGj0Q ?

I wouldn't mind the satnav built in. Will save leaving the satnav in the car haha. The new laws that have just come in are making me want to be able to answer the phone via that unit.

The car doesn't have an buttons on the steering wheel either but guess that isn't upgradeable ?

I might look at the 315 unit because some of them have bluetooth built into the unit itself, that and the GPS antennas can be picked up for about £10 on eBay and I think I may have a spare from my pioneer unit that i had in the last car.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

what about a RCD330/RCD360?
Myk
New

Post by Myk »

The RCD 330 does look very nice - but - with it being chinese (on eBay) i was unsure if it would work with UK radio stations...

Anyone used one before? They do look pretty good though!!

So they can support CarPlay. EG goo.gl/n2Xt47

Can this still use the Aux in in the glovebox does anyone know?

This could be a good option - and cheap!!
Hoppy77
New
Drives: Not yet

Post by Hoppy77 »

If I have an RCD310 with parking sensors will this just be a cable that I could plug into an RNS510 if I am to upgrade? Also has DAB so assume that would be the same. Thanks
vc-10
Silver Member
Drives: 2019 Seat Ibiza 1.0 TSI Xcellence Lux

Post by vc-10 »

There was an eBay seller that was selling RNS 315 units with built-in Bluetooth on eBay a while back. These have a smaller screen than the RNS/RCD 510s, but with the built-in Bluetooth module, they can be a fair bit cheaper.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Myk wrote:The RCD 330 does look very nice - but - with it being chinese (on eBay) i was unsure if it would work with UK radio stations...

For the RCD330 you need to upgrade the wiring etc for the MQB from MIB-2 (i think), they'll work but you can't see radio station names or save them.

should be able to still use the aux in glove box.

Best one is RNS 310, you get bluetooth, sta nav, dab, sd card slot and an AUX on the radio they're better prices now £240-340 will get you a used one, to retrofit the aerial for the sat nav you just plug it in and leave it on the back of the radio it can get signal there too, you don't need to change the roof one.
Myk
New

Post by Myk »

Willni wrote:
Myk wrote:The RCD 330 does look very nice - but - with it being chinese (on eBay) i was unsure if it would work with UK radio stations...

For the RCD330 you need to upgrade the wiring etc for the MQB from MIB-2 (i think), they'll work but you can't see radio station names or save them.

Best one is RNS 310, you get bluetooth, sta nav, dab, sd card slot and an AUX on the radio they're better prices now £240-340 will get you a used one, to retrofit the aerial for the sat nav you just plug it in and leave it on the back of the radio it can get signal there too, you don't need to change the roof one.

Does the RNS come with blueototh built in or is it something I would need to add?

And does the DAB require anything aftermarket to install as don't have it at the moment!

Thanks.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Myk wrote:
Willni wrote:

Does the RNS come with blueototh built in or is it something I would need to add?

And does the DAB require anything aftermarket to install as don't have it at the moment!

Thanks.
RNS 310 comes with bluetooth and dab, you'd need a dab aerial dunno about placement though you might get away with it in the dash like the sat nav
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

RNS315 has an option for BT and DAB
RNS310 does not