Dash Cam Installation

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Re: Dash Cam Installation

Post by wolfie »

I seem to vaguely remember reading something about that.

From what I can recall it's predominantly related to DAB radios. The issue isn't down to the camera per se, its related to 12v-5v voltage regulators. The cheap ones are notoriously noisy electrically. So long as you buy a reputable make, and ensure that you ground it securely to a good earth. Then fit the ferrite inductor to the cable run you shouldn't have a problem.

I only have an FM radio anyway, but I've had no issues whatsoever.
Igf1234
New
Drives: 1.2 mk9

Post by Igf1234 »

I am tentative about sticking the GPS mount to the windscreen. How difficult is it to remove afterwards?
Has anyone come up with any “cunning” modified solutions to mount the Viofo A119 GPS mount on the windscreen without using the adhesive attached to the mount? Thanks
Igf1234
New
Drives: 1.2 mk9

Post by Igf1234 »

Just to update. I sourced an alternative sucker mount from amazon. One which would allow me to stick the Viofo A119 to the new sucker mount. Unfortunately, I wasn’t happy with the solution. The dashcam was still too visible by the driver in my opinion. I will be returning the new sucker mount to Amazon.

So I took the plunge and fixed the A119 GPS mount to the windscreen. It fits superbly behind the mirror and you wouldn’t know it was there.

Thanks for all of the advice. The Viofo A119 with GPS mount is a great dashcam solution for the Polo.

If you don’t mind not having GPS, the Viofo sucker mount is also unobtrusive. I just thought GPS was important for us.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

Good to hear you got it sorted.

To be honest I faffed about with mine way more than the job required. Now it's in place it's all but forgotten about. As a by-the-by, mine went through an MOT last week with my VioFo in place and they didn't even comment about it. To be honest, I don't think they noticed it.