Overheating 2015 polo 1.4 tdi bluemotion- 16k

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
cburgess906
New
Drives: Polo 2015

Overheating 2015 polo 1.4 tdi bluemotion- 16k

Post by cburgess906 »

Hi all,

Booked my car in for its first 2 yr aircon service- strangely noticed it was blowing normal air all the time and don't know if it's linked to the bigger issue...

First time was 3 days ago- oil and temperature readings go up to 120 after 15 mins of driving, hover there and then the temperature quickly returns to the usual 90 degrees- any ideas what could be up? Coolant level looks fine, radiator comes on, car seems to drive fine, just concerned if it's doing any damage- car's booked in with vw on 16 June.

Thanks in advance!
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Re: Overheating 2015 polo 1.4 tdi bluemotion- 16k

Post by joe6 »

Try leaving the heater on its highest setting from cold and see if it does it then - the heater takes warm/hot coolant before the engine thermostat opens. If it does not 'overheat' or does not get as hot then the main engine thermostat is a possible fault. Unlikely with your mileage to be an airlock in the system.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Due to me being on a few VAG forums, ie Audi, VW, SEAT and Skoda, leads me to suggest that there is an overheating issue with the 1.4TDI engines that should be getting reported to your dealer before it does some permanent damage to that engine - have you taken this up with your VW dealer while that car was still within its warranty?

Edit:- it seems that at least Skoda have been having issues with the coolant and pump on this engine, it appears that they are now using another coolant other than the "proper" G13, you should drop this car off and collect a loaner/management car to keep you mobile! Sounds like Skoda UK are sourcing loaner cars to cover this issue and have being doing so since at least March 2017.

Another Edit:- do not expect VW to do the right thing and recall all these cars, they don't need to do that as this is not a safety related issue.
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Post by skymera »

Interesting. Not had any heat issues with my 2016 1.4 TDi. It's just ticked over to 16k.

I;ll keep an eye on things!
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

It sounds like on the 1.4TDI engines, there are two coolant pumps, the main one and an auxiliary one, sounds crazy but the auxiliary one gets driven from the engine and the main one, where ever it gets its drive from, has a electric clutch on it, it is that that is failing due to an incompatibility issue between that main pump inner workings and G13 coolant - I just can't see how this has happened, you could not make that up!

I'd be swinging by the VW dealer and asking what the score is and why your car is not affected, you might get told the truth and that might be that things have been sorted out by the time your car/engine were built. For the record, while Skoda changed coolant type, the "correct" coolant for all these cars remained to be G13, so at least earlier this year, while you could get your car reworked at Skoda, there was none of the replacement coolant available to the general public!!

Maybe just another small slip up like the oil that was initially used in the DSG boxes?

Any product manufacturer can come up against these problems, but it is how they deal with the problem that counts, VW are not too good in offering up any info unless things have become a bit serious it seems!

Edit:- I'm passing on what I've stumbled upon in good faith, some or all of this might be complete b*llocks - but if I had one of these engines, I'd be trying to make sure things were okay now, and for the future.
rory7
New
Drives: 1.4 POLO SEL TDI

Post by rory7 »

Hi all,

I too have a 2015 polo 1.4 tdi bluemotion, and have experienced very similar issues. See below history:

01/15 Car bought

12/15 Vehicle overheating - water pump replaced.

08/16 Vehicle overheating - water pump replaced.

03/17 Vehicle overheating - no fault found by garage.

05/17 Vehicle overheating - water pump replaced.

01/18 Vehicle overheating - water pump replaced.

03/18 Engine died whilst driving. Failing Turbo, failing no2 cylinder valve.

To be continued...

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone help has had similar experiences - it doesn't seem like its an uncommon problem, however, now that my car is out of warranty, VW is charging £5000 for the repair, despite it being a recurring fault. Be warned...

Rx
Bollarthur666
New
Drives: 14 TDI Bluemotion

Post by Bollarthur666 »

Hi. My 14TDI overheated Sunday 2nd of August AA thought it was the thermostat. Took it to my garage there was another polo exactly the same in for the same thing. Anyone hear if this is a recall fault to do with the water pump? If anyone knows anything that would be great I’ve got it booked in with VW on the 10th.
Thanks
R.
Zeezee
New
Drives: 2014 1.4Tdi

Post by Zeezee »

Very common problem reported in the cousin vehicle Skoda Fabia. The 1.4 TDi CUSA/ CUSB has a water pump issue. Did you contact VW ? And what did they say ? I faced similar issues at my vehicle at 18k mileage . Replaced the thermostat but hasn’t resolved the issue. I just put the heater on full blow to get the temp down. Dropped an email to local VW . Skoda are recalling the same engine putting it down to the diverter shield of the main pump sticks intermittently ..hope Vw acknowledges this and replaces the new pumps free of charge
Zeezee
New
Drives: 2014 1.4Tdi

Post by Zeezee »

Bollarthur666 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 12:05 pm Hi. My 14TDI overheated Sunday 2nd of August AA thought it was the thermostat. Took it to my garage there was another polo exactly the same in for the same thing. Anyone hear if this is a recall fault to do with the water pump? If anyone knows anything that would be great I’ve got it booked in with VW on the 10th.
Thanks
R.
What did VW say?