6c Polo GTI loud ticking

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
helloimjammie
Bronze Member

6c Polo GTI loud ticking

Post by helloimjammie »

Hi all

Looking for help on an issue I noticed today.

Now I know the nature of a tsi engine does make it quite "ticky" on idle but today I noticed a very loud one.

So I was driving home from work not being too aggressive on the car (40 minutes journey mostly 60 roads) and parked up and left the car running to cool down as I was waiting for a friend. The car is a manual and as I parked up popped the car in neutral and lifted my foot off the clutch and there was a loud ticking noise (louder than normal at idle) when I put my foot back down on the clutch the ticking went away and went back to standard tsi noise lifted off again and there was a loud noise and this continued up until I turned the car off?

Does anyone know what this could be. Car is due a service in July anyway so was going to get this checked out but anything I should be worried about?

Car has done just under 18500 miles (if this helps)

Any help is appreciated :)

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Re: 6c Polo GTI loud ticking

Post by joe6 »

Sorry cannot help but would be interested in the outcome. Mate of mine has noticed a similar ticking noise on his 1.4 scirocco and is worried it could be gearbox related. His has done nearly 60k though.
helloimjammie
Bronze Member

Post by helloimjammie »

joe6 wrote:Sorry cannot help but would be interested in the outcome. Mate of mine has noticed a similar ticking noise on his 1.4 scirocco and is worried it could be gearbox related. His has done nearly 60k though.
Oh really? Glad I'm not alone then. I'll update the thread once it's had its service if VW find any issues. Whatever it is I'm hoping it's fixable under warranty :(

SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I would guess that If the presence of ticking noise is dependent upon whether or not the clutch pedal is depressed it'll be either clutch or gearbox related.
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

In the past I have had a similar experience with non VW cars. In both instances it was crankshaft end float. Depressing the clutch pulled the crankshaft backwards and produced the noise as the rear of the crank fouled the main bearing cap.

Those engines had shims to restrict end float which eventually wore or failed. In the most extreme instance you could see the crank pulley more backwards and forwards as you operated the clutch until after a while the fan belt broke.

If the noise was present when the clutch was engaged i.e. not pressed in the noise was usually the front of the crank fouling the crankcase around the front oil seal.

Heads you lost, tails you didn't win!

Left unrepaired it was usually terminal.

Probably not relevant to the VW engine but a cautionary tale nevertheless.
Last edited by Ricmondo on Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

Post by Jay-Jay »

If you hear the noise only when you don't press the clutch pedal and it immediately disappears when you press it, I'd think about a flywheel problem.

Inviato dal mio MHA-L09

joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

helloimjammie wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:28 pm
joe6 wrote:Sorry cannot help but would be interested in the outcome. Mate of mine has noticed a similar ticking noise on his 1.4 scirocco and is worried it could be gearbox related. His has done nearly 60k though.
Oh really? Glad I'm not alone then. I'll update the thread once it's had its service if VW find any issues. Whatever it is I'm hoping it's fixable under warranty :(

Hi Jammie did you get it sorted?