Brake pads

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Vasey
Getting There!
Drives: Polo gt bluemotion

Brake pads

Post by Vasey »

Hi everyone the pads on my polo need changing just phoned my local vw parts department they are wanting £78 for a set of front pads,which I find a little pricey does anyone know what make the vw 1s are or the next best 1s to use I was thinking on buying Bosch as you don't get much brake dust of them any ideas.... many thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Brake pads

Post by iichel »

I've been driving around with ATE ceramics. Hardly any brakedust. They are a bit more expensive.

If you want good braking, have a look at Ferodo DS2500

OEM is usually either ATE or TRW.
Vasey
Getting There!

Post by Vasey »

If I upgrade on the pads do I not have to do the same with the discs will the standard discs be ok

iichel

Post by iichel »

Don't change the discs unless you need to...
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Maybe have a look on ECP website, they list a few brands, either cheaper "standard" pads from Brembo, Bosch, Textar or ATE - or enhanced ones like Textar Epad or ATE Ceramic.

www.eurocarparts.com

Just enter your reg number, but make sure that you also know the options code (PR code) for your front brakes to make sure you get exactly what you need.
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:02 pm Maybe have a look on ECP website, they list a few brands, either cheaper "standard" pads from Brembo, Bosch, Textar or ATE - or enhanced ones like Textar Epad or ATE Ceramic.

www.eurocarparts.com

Just enter your reg number, but make sure that you also know the options code (PR code) for your front brakes to make sure you get exactly what you need.
Eurocarparts have a Summer sale on at the moment, if you can find something that suits you. Up to 70% discount. I've just ordered a pollen filter, aircon cleaner bomb thingy and a few other bits.) Just had a quick play and it knocked £25+ off the price of a set of front disks)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I think that I was lucky when I ordered a Mann Frecious pollen filter for my S4 (Audi at least, use Mann so why buy a standard carbon one from Audi at a higher price?) and 3 cans of brake cleaner, the discount was maybe 65% - though as wolfie probably indicated, don't expect a "70%" off sale to give you 70% off every thing, though every penny counts!

I think that that sale is one until the end of the month as opposed to a weekend special.

I should now go and order up 3-off of these air system cleaner cans as I'm about to dump a couple of really old cans of cleaner - never used as these early ones had a bad name for leaving a white powdery layer all over the inside of the car, I did cast my eyes over these cans on the counter when picking up the other parts, but had my clever head on which reminded me that buying on line it is always cheaper than just walking in off the street - remember that bit! (I pass by my local ECP frequently so no extra time/fuel involved)
wolfie
Gold Member
Drives: 6R1-1.2 TSI (2011, CBZB, 77Kw, 35Kmiles)

Post by wolfie »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:04 am
I should now go and order up 3-off of these air system cleaner cans as I'm about to dump a couple of really old cans of cleaner - never used as these early ones had a bad name for leaving a white powdery layer all over the inside of the car
Which are the ones that leave a residue?

I've just picked up a "Normfest Viro One Shot Plus A/C Treatment 100ml" Thought I'd give it a go. Likewise I picked up a Mann Frecious Plus Cabin Filter.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I was just going by feedback on motoring forums from maybe 10>15 years back, I had bought a Wynn's and a year or two later Comma cleaner spray from the days when you had to break in to the air plenum and stuff a hose in there. Some years later, the motoring industry changed to making "bombs" that you just set off in the car and close the door - like the one that you have bought and I have reserved.

Edit:- altered to make sense!
Last edited by RUM4MO on Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vasey
Getting There!

Post by Vasey »

Right guys I've went for the ATE ceramic pads for the front ATE pads for the rear my next question I've changed pads on the front before but never the back is it straight forward or do you have to push n turn the piston a certain way??

RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

You should buy a piston retractor tool, ie to wind back in the rear pistons - I tend to use them on the front as well with a thin strip of wood to let the reversed adaptor rotate against the wood, that leads to you being able to move the front pistons in slowly. Most tool places will sell them for around £20 and in their standard form they are suitable for these rear callipers.
Vasey
Getting There!

Post by Vasey »

Does the pistons on the rear have to be pushed back and turned a certain way i.e. Anti-clockwise or do they just push back it's on a gt bluemotion

iichel

Post by iichel »

twist clockwise, when holding caliper in left hand, piston surface towards right hand
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Machine Mart sell one for £11.98 good enough for VW Group etc cars and a lot cheaper than most other places.

Edit:- maybe order for home delivery as you don't have a Machine Mart in Durham?

Another Edit:- Screwfix sell the Laser Tools one for £16.99 - but maybe like Machine Mart "for collection next day" it seems.