Insurance

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Insurance

Post by Willni »

Is anyone elses polo getting a ridiculous insurance quote? I'm on the 1.4 n/a 85 bhp insurance group 9, yet on the golf which has near 3 times the power and is insurance group 36 is £40 more for the year... anyone else find this utterly ridiculous?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Insurance

Post by SRGTD »

I renewed with my insurance with my existing insurer in April; from memory, my premium increased by less than £10 compared to last year.

Are your two cars insured with the same insurer and on a like for like basis? If not, then bear in mind the way different insurers calculate their premiums, and the various factors they take into account in their calculations can vary considerably from one insurer to the next and vehicle group and engine bhp are only two of the factors they will use.

Also, the Polo is likely to appeal more to young drivers than the Golf, so if the insurer of your Polo has had poor claims experience of the Polo in general within their car insurance portfolio because of a younger, more inexperienced driver profile, then they may have increased their premium rates for Polos.

There are many alternative insurers out there, so if you're unhappy with the premium you've been quoted, there's the option to move to an alternative insurer offering a more competitive premium. Just make sure the cover they offer gives you what you need.
Dave_C
New
Drives: 1.2TSi Match

Post by Dave_C »

My wife had a year's free insurance with VW when she bought it new. The renewal premium with VW was more than twice as much as Churchill, her precious insurer. Check around!
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

That just shows how stupid VW Group are when it comes to picking up insurance business, they just assume that we will pay up and not question it!

I bought an approved used Audi S4 from an Audi main dealer, and it came with the normal 7 day insurance, that car was being sold with a "sports" exhaust, which was a Milltek, seemed to have been fitted when that car was almost brand new (!), when I investigated moving across to Audi's insurance, I noticed right away that no funny stuff like performance exhausts were tolerated - which seemed a bit strange considering that they "gave" me a "free" 7 day version of that policy with the car, muppets!
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

SRGTD wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:17 pm I renewed with my insurance with my existing insurer in April; from memory, my premium increased by less than £10 compared to last year.

Are your two cars insured with the same insurer and on a like for like basis? If not, then bear in mind the way different insurers calculate their premiums, and the various factors they take into account in their calculations can vary considerably from one insurer to the next and vehicle group and engine bhp are only two of the factors they will use.

Also, the Polo is likely to appeal more to young drivers than the Golf, so if the insurer of your Polo has had poor claims experience of the Polo in general within their car insurance portfolio because of a younger, more inexperienced driver profile, then they may have increased their premium rates for Polos.

There are many alternative insurers out there, so if you're unhappy with the premium you've been quoted, there's the option to move to an alternative insurer offering a more competitive premium. Just make sure the cover they offer gives you what you need.
Both were quotes from admiral, and then I go to an independent broker that either matches or beats it. It's cheap insurance for my age so I'm not complaining but it's the fact that the older equivalent of a golf clubsport is £40 more to ensure than a not gonna lie a slow polo. I'll just bare with it in the meantime and look into getting a GTD or A3 next year as a run around.
RUM4MO wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:47 am That just shows how stupid VW Group are when it comes to picking up insurance business, they just assume that we will pay up and not question it!

I bought an approved used Audi S4 from an Audi main dealer, and it came with the normal 7 day insurance, that car was being sold with a "sports" exhaust, which was a Milltek, seemed to have been fitted when that car was almost brand new (!), when I investigated moving across to Audi's insurance, I noticed right away that no funny stuff like performance exhausts were tolerated - which seemed a bit strange considering that they "gave" me a "free" 7 day version of that policy with the car, muppets!
Seems pretty stupid considering Milltek are their sports exhaust provider so it's essentially audi performance parts. I got 5 days free insurance with the golf, but I think it's more just 'travel time' insurance so you allow you to get the car back to home from dealership to anywhere in the country. (lovely car the s4 btw)
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Jul 16, 2017 11:47 am That just shows how stupid VW Group are when it comes to picking up insurance business, they just assume that we will pay up and not question it!

Seems pretty stupid considering Milltek are their sports exhaust provider so it's essentially audi performance parts. I got 5 days free insurance with the golf, but I think it's more just 'travel time' insurance so you allow you to get the car back to home from dealership to anywhere in the country. (lovely car the s4 btw)
[/quote]

I think that initially I considered, in ignorance, that that car had an Audi Sports Exhaust fitted, either way I maybe fell for the large black oval single outlet on each side! After getting it home, I got underneath and discovered the Milltek idents that they tack weld on. It sounds like a lot of Audi S4 owners find them too quiet so swop exhausts so that they can hear the engine working - for me the fact that Milltek exhausts are stainless steel works well, having said that, me old 2000 Passat lasted me 13 years and 85K miles on its factory fitted exhaust and wife's old 2002 Polo lasted her 13 years and 105K with the factory fitted exhaust. Daughter's current SEAT Ibiza late 2009 has a nasty looking tailbox, I might buy a length of Jubilee clipping from Halfords to stop any comment at MOT time as it is just the outer skin that has rusted through.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:49 am

I think that initially I considered, in ignorance, that that car had an Audi Sports Exhaust fitted, either way I maybe fell for the large black oval single outlet on each side! After getting it home, I got underneath and discovered the Milltek idents that they tack weld on. It sounds like a lot of Audi S4 owners find them too quiet so swop exhausts so that they can hear the engine working - for me the fact that Milltek exhausts are stainless steel works well, having said that, me old 2000 Passat lasted me 13 years and 85K miles on its factory fitted exhaust and wife's old 2002 Polo lasted her 13 years and 105K with the factory fitted exhaust. Daughter's current SEAT Ibiza late 2009 has a nasty looking tailbox, I might buy a length of Jubilee clipping from Halfords to stop any comment at MOT time as it is just the outer skin that has rusted through.
[/quote]

A sander and primer and black high temp paint will sort out her exhaust. and it's funny how a nice exhaust tip and a good noise can affect buying :P I'm after a milltek atm.