Which oil ???

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Cyberdog
New
Drives: Polo 60 - 1.4

Which oil ???

Post by Cyberdog »

Hi,
I have a Polo 60 - 1.4, and i want to do an oil change.
Which oil do i use ?? and how do i know if the car is Fixed or Variable servicing.

Thanks
Dave.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Which oil ???

Post by alexperkins »

5W30 longlife 3 that meets the VW specifications
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

It's probably stated somewhere in the service manual, and many of the oil sellers now let you select your car and engine and display the correct oil.

As Alex is saying, it's very likely to be a 5W30 oil with certain specs as longlife service intervals and in case of a diesel, some protection for the dpf.

Some people switch to a variable service intervals and then use a 5W40 oil. This usually doesn't last the 20.000 miles/2 years of longlife and could be an issue with warranty, if still present.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

alexperkins wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:28 pm 5W30 longlife 3 that meets the VW specifications
VW dealers mainly use quantum 5w30 longlife III so meets VW required spec. This covers fixed and variable service intervals.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Dealers actually use Castrol equivalent now in the workshop but sell the quantum on the parts counter 8)
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

alexperkins wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:51 am Dealers actually use Castrol equivalent now in the workshop but sell the quantum on the parts counter 8)
Exactly, Quantum is just some oil that meets the current VW specs rebranded for aftermarket sales.

I think across UK and all other areas, VW Group or the individual garage groups will put the supply of workshop oils and the disposal of waste oils out to tender, who ever wins the tendering process will supply the oil for a given period in a given geographical area.

For its first few services, my Audi S4 always got Mobil One 5W-30, but at its last service at another dealer, it got maybe, Shell 0W-30, I tend now to use Mobil One ESP 5W-30 on all my cars as it has been said by many people that Mobil One ESP 5W-30 offers a good balance of quality and price, ie is said to be better at most bench marking checks than Castrol and costs less. I used to be a Castrol user and proud to be so, but I think that they might well have taken their eye off the ball a bit, though any quality engine oil is probably good enough as long as it meets and has been tested and approved by VW Group to the relevant specs for that car engine - note, not all oils that claim this will have submitted samples for testing because it costs too much!

Edit:- I'm guessing that it is a petrol 86PS 1.4 16V engine that your car has, if so maybe look up opie oils and see what they recommend then try to buy it cheaply locally or on line if carriage costs do not make it too expensive, Fuchs oils are good too, maybe check up on where your local Fuchs supplier is located, I think that you can do that on the Fuchs website. The 1.4 86PS does not ask a lot from its oil as it is an older design of engine, but very reliable, I look after a late 2009 Ibiza with that engine.
Last edited by RUM4MO on Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Quantum used to be made by BP who inadvertently also own Castrol. It’s now made by Fuchs and uses their new molecular binding technology which quantum have branded QFX
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

alexperkins wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:39 am Quantum used to be made by BP who inadvertently also own Castrol. It’s now made by Fuchs and uses their new molecular binding technology which quantum have branded QFX
Oh, and I've just edited my posting to suggest Fuchs, who used to be the supplier of oils to the engine plants - I think.

To the OP:- So it could be down to Fuchs or Quantum which ever is cheaper to get to your door step! (obviously the correct version of either!)
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Cyberdog wrote: Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:22 pm Hi,
I have a Polo 60 - 1.4, and i want to do an oil change.
Which oil do i use ?? and how do i know if the car is Fixed or Variable servicing.

ThanksDave.
By the way, it is now up to you which servicing regime you apply to that car, normally with an older car, most people revert to fixed servicing for making sure that the engine is kept cleaner.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

alexperkins wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:51 am Dealers actually use Castrol equivalent now in the workshop but sell the quantum on the parts counter 8)
It was on my invoice for my last service! Did not say QFX although that would be my preference.
Cyberdog
New
Drives: Polo 60 - 1.4

Post by Cyberdog »

Hi,
Sorry for the long delay in getting back, and I appreceiate all your help. The other problem is about, Fully Synthetic / or not.??

So after a lot of head scratching i am looking at "" Castrol edge 5W/30 Fully Synthetic""

Any comments please.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Fully synthetic all day long

Edge 5W/30 is perfect.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

My VW main dealership used 5W-40 Quantum when servicing my wife's August 2015 VW Polo 1.2TSI - I did not expect that as it is on fixed time/mileage servicing, but, it is also on a "VW main dealership prepaid service plan" - so I'm guessing that they are using the cheaper oil option to save them a small amount of money, a bit like replacing the pollen filter with a basic one instead of the carbon impregnated one that VW fitted to that car in the initial build.

So, I wonder where that places the theory that all VW etc dealer's workshops only use the longlife oils to avoid confusion?

I certainly notice the extra levels of outside smells getting into the cabin, so will probably replace that with a Mann Frecious one soon, the oil, well unfortunately that will stay in the car and it will get more of the same next year, but when that service plan has ended I will back to using Mobil One ESP 5W-30.

This just seems to be what happens when you buy a "main dealership" prepaid service plan, if I had known that, I would have asked a few questions to make sure everything used at service times was correct as per VW workshop instruction, maybe something that others who are considering a prepaid service plan should clarify with their dealer at point of sale. I just thought that it was VW that was offering these prepaid, while in warranty, service plans, but it turned out that dealership chains can/will/do offer their own version of that, only thing is I don't remember the actual price difference - if there was any.