What did you and your 6R/C do today?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: What did you and your 6R/C do today?

Post by SRGTD »

Willni wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:09 pm
SRGTD wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 am Not today, but earlier this week, gave my Polo GTI a full detail, including a two stage machine polish. Some pictures;
Lovely alloys always wanted a set but could never do it since none gti and can't lower mine :/
Thanks! I didn’t like the diamond cut alloys that my car came with and I don’t like diamond cut alloys in general. I always liked the VW Motorsport alloys, so when I found a set at a decent price I had to have them.

I really like your BBS CV alloys; IMO they really suit the Polo 6r/6c.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

SRGTD wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:26 pm
Willni wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:09 pm
SRGTD wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:43 am Not today, but earlier this week, gave my Polo GTI a full detail, including a two stage machine polish. Some pictures;
Lovely alloys always wanted a set but could never do it since none gti and can't lower mine :/
Thanks! I didn’t like the diamond cut alloys that my car came with and I don’t like diamond cut alloys in general. I always liked the VW Motorsport alloys, so when I found a set at a decent price I had to have them.

I really like your BBS CV alloys; IMO they really suit the Polo 6r/6c.
I loved the diamond cut parabolica on the GTI, but the motorsports set off the blue far better. Thanks I like them I couldn't believe them in person when I first put them on especially for the price from new I got them at, probably paid more for tyres there than I did for the alloys lol
Evo
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C DSG

Post by Evo »

Today I got a OEM+ DSG Stage 1 Tune and Front Resonator Delete. = )

Not that fond of the res delete tbh. too boomy for my liking. will give it a week then refit the box.

The tune is fantastic. keep forgetting its been tuned and spinning in second by accident.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Evo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 pm Today I got a OEM+ DSG Stage 1 Tune and Front Resonator Delete. = )

Not that fond of the res delete tbh. too boomy for my liking. will give it a week then refit the box.

The tune is fantastic. keep forgetting its been tuned and spinning in second by accident.
What specs is it putting out roughly do you know? Also if you want a louder exhaust but not the ridiculously loud kind give Powervalve a shout they did my mk5 gti catback and you don't notice it at all in the car until over 4k rpm, but from peoples faces they definitely hear it :D

I really want to try a DSG GTI I hear they're great, I've been put off by diesel autoboxs :(
Evo
New

Post by Evo »

Willni wrote: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:06 pm
Evo wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:33 pm Today I got a OEM+ DSG Stage 1 Tune and Front Resonator Delete. = )

What specs is it putting out roughly do you know? Also if you want a louder exhaust but not the ridiculously loud kind give Powervalve a shout they did my mk5 gti catback and you don't notice it at all in the car until over 4k rpm, but from peoples faces they definitely hear it :D

I really want to try a DSG GTI I hear they're great, I've been put off by diesel autoboxs :(
Hi mate. figures for Stage 1 are 141kw to 168kw and 250nm to 350nm I believe. not really interested in the figures. going from stock to stage 1 puts a massive smile on your face whilst driving for sure.
thanks mate I will give them a look. she is going back in tomorrow morning to have the resonator refitted. not a fan of cabin drone what so ever... drones around 2k rpm upwards. even gentle drives are daunting at the moment. live and learn haha. :lol:
The DSG is great. love the paddle shifts, and Sports mode is a fun thing to use! not many manuals in Australia.
Evo
New

Post by Evo »

Willni wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:13 pm Time for a tyre change got 4 x Continental Sport Contact 6s size 225/45/17 went up in profile from 40 due to building sites at the minute to protect the alloy, as well as the rims have a good rim protector now from the rubber.
is this the size suitable for the gti parabolicas? good rim protection from the curb? how is the ride noise? does it make the ride feel softer (as in suspension a little softer)? any problems running a larger profile I should be aware of? cheers mate.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Evo wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:31 am
Willni wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:13 pm Time for a tyre change got 4 x Continental Sport Contact 6s size 225/45/17 went up in profile from 40 due to building sites at the minute to protect the alloy, as well as the rims have a good rim protector now from the rubber.
is this the size suitable for the gti parabolicas? good rim protection from the curb? how is the ride noise? does it make the ride feel softer (as in suspension a little softer)? any problems running a larger profile I should be aware of? cheers mate.
Think the parabolica is 215/40 R17, so I think you should get the 225 on the alloy to add a good curb lip protection (The rim is about 2-3mm set back behind the rubber on mine so it doesn't look stupid) Ride noise and and quality it's hard quieter and comfier from 1-3 Db in noise I'd say and the extra 5 in profile changes the car so much. Only thing I'd say would be a problem with running higher profile is you can't run spacers, and a they're a tiny bit more expensive not really big problems tbh.

Obviously when it comes to tyres your local tyre shop can do a test fit on one, to make sure they'll be fine and safe and advise on sizes. :D
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Willni wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 am
Think the parabolica is 215/40 R17, so I think you should get the 225 on the alloy to add a good curb lip protection (The rim is about 2-3mm set back behind the rubber on mine so it doesn't look stupid) Ride noise and and quality it's hard quieter and comfier from 1-3 Db in noise I'd say and the extra 5 in profile changes the car so much. Only thing I'd say would be a problem with running higher profile is you can't run spacers, and a they're a tiny bit more expensive not really big problems tbh.

Obviously when it comes to tyres your local tyre shop can do a test fit on one, to make sure they'll be fine and safe and advise on sizes. :D
There’ll also be a slight speedo reading error if you change from 215/40 R17 to 225/45 R17; as the rolling radius of the new set up would be larger, the speedo will under-read by 4.81%. So at 60 mph, speedo will be showing just over 57 mph, and with speedo indicating 60 mph you’ll be travelling at just approx 63 mph.
Evo
New

Post by Evo »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:22 am
Willni wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 am

There’ll also be a slight speedo reading error if you change from 215/40 R17 to 225/45 R17; as the rolling radius of the new set up would be larger, the speedo will under-read by 4.81%. So at 60 mph, speedo will be showing just over 57 mph, and with speedo indicating 60 mph you’ll be travelling at just approx 63 mph.
thanks for the info guys. very informative. didn't even think about speed readings

is there a specific brand and model best suited for the gti users? kind of want an allrounder. but with comfortable ride. Ita mostly dry here. but when it is wet the roads are pretty slippery
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Check out this site - tests various tyres sizes and different vehicles and has wet and dry data. Different sizes perform slightly differently. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

At the end of the day people tend to have their own preference. Currently Michelin PS4 seems favourite with a lot of the Golf GTI fraternity. I am on the manufacturers Bridgestone Potenza S001 at the moment, fine in the dry and hardwearing but a bit noisy and they are not the best in the wet.

Edit: The 2017 Auto Bild Summer Tyre Test uses 17" wheels.
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Evo wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:46 pm
SRGTD wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:22 am
Willni wrote: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:41 am Think the parabolica is 215/40 R17, so I think you should get the 225 on the alloy to add a good curb lip protection (The rim is about 2-3mm set back behind the rubber on mine so it doesn't look stupid) Ride noise and and quality it's hard quieter and comfier from 1-3 Db in noise I'd say and the extra 5 in profile changes the car so much. Only thing I'd say would be a problem with running higher profile is you can't run spacers, and a they're a tiny bit more expensive not really big problems tbh.

thanks for the info guys. very informative. didn't even think about speed readings

is there a specific brand and model best suited for the gti users? kind of want an allrounder. but with comfortable ride. Ita mostly dry here. but when it is wet the roads are pretty slippery
SRGTD - Do you mean that you'll generally be going slower or faster? It wasn't the clearest at the very end, I'm going to say at 60mph you'll actually be going 57mph to reuse your example.

Depends on your budget, Pirelli, Continental, Michelin and Dunlop are the best 4 manufacturers generally, new AMG's, m3's etc are starting to come out with Dunlop's which are my personal favourites (Sport Maxx SP asymmetric 2) at the minute (running them on the gti) but bit of a harder ride. Continental are the best for grip on average, Michelin a close 2nd and tend to be known a better looking than continental. In my opinion Pirelli have slipped and are just being used for their fame now.
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Willni wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:42 pm SRGTD - Do you mean that you'll generally be going slower or faster? It wasn't the clearest at the very end, I'm going to say at 60mph you'll actually be going 57mph to reuse your example.
Willni, you’ll be travelling faster than the speedo is indicating, so at an indicated speedo reading of 60 mph you’ll be travelling at approx 63mph. There’s a handy speedo error calculator at the link below. If you input the existing and new tyre sizes, it’ll calculate the speedo error;

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre- ... calculator
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

SRGTD wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:10 pm
Willni wrote: Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:42 pm SRGTD - Do you mean that you'll generally be going slower or faster? It wasn't the clearest at the very end, I'm going to say at 60mph you'll actually be going 57mph to reuse your example.
Willni, you’ll be travelling faster than the speedo is indicating, so at an indicated speedo reading of 60 mph you’ll be travelling at approx 63mph. There’s a handy speedo error calculator at the link below. If you input the existing and new tyre sizes, it’ll calculate the speedo error;

http://www.tyresizecalculator.com/tyre- ... calculator
Ah I see just clarifying, mine says it's 4 km/h or mph off moving from 15in to 17in
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

Willni wrote: Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:29 pm Pretty certain someone hit my rear bumper with their door, just below the line where the quarter panel meets the bumper :evil: It's so small that I think only I notice it, could just be going mental though... also a rock scratched one of my BBS CV's at work (construction site can't do much about it, and I hate my standards)

I'll need to get new tyres as well as they've only got about 2-4mm left, 1 at 2mm , 2 at 4mm, 1 at 6+. Think I'll go Dunlop Sport Maxx RT 2 £106 a corner.
Know how you feel...Im quite precious about my 6C GTI...pretty much every time I clean it soemthings happened to it....if its not a dented inner sill (couldnt get the dent pulled properly so hidden by a great set of RGM sill covers), a dirty great rock chip on the bumper exposing black paint (touched in but still pissed about it), someone reversing into the back of it, cracking the bumper and lightly reshaping the side of my reversing camera (thankfully you have to be looking for it to see it) or something bouncing off the roof whilst driving leaving a pin dent by the radio antenna (again you have to look for it but I know its there) its something else......but then its often doing hundreds of miles on the Motorway :-(
Evo
New

Post by Evo »

changed my cornering lights + fog light combo to LEDS today. took 5 mins. better than the yellow h7 bulbs before.

VCDS cable ordered.
Going with the bridge stones now (friend works for them) $$
New MIB 2 Unit coming with App connect. for Retrofit
Tints booked for this week
HotDog resonator booked in for install this week