Car dented in car park

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
jb182
New
Drives: Bluegt 2015

Car dented in car park

Post by jb182 »

Unfortunately my polos passenger door was hit in the car park tonight (door swung open into it), nothing to major but has dented the door on the crease line.

Actually happened to be sitting in the car at the time, the party involved just walked off and said "sorry" dealing with that separately.

Either way any one know roughly what it might cost to repair and would it be something that could be S.M.A.R.T repaired?

Any advice much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by jb182 on Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skymera
Getting There!
Drives: 2016 R-Line TDi

Re: Car dented in car park

Post by skymera »

Wow, that's horrendous! How hard did they bash it? Hope you go their reg info.

I can't advise too much, but as this is on a crease line, it might not be good news.
jb182
New

Post by jb182 »

skymera wrote:Wow, that's horrendous! How hard did they bash it? Hope you go their reg info.

I can't advise too much, but as this is on a crease line, it might not be good news.
Tell me about it! The more I think about the more frustrated I get, I would have been calmer if they just gave me their details and discussed it.

Either way got the details of the car and will get it sorted.

I had guessed because of the crease it may not be as simple as it sounds, I guess it could be worse and no one is hurt!

Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

i had a similar thing happen to me (car parked outside house ) here's my door

just claim through their insurance. it will cost you as well but it will get repaired properly
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

I would attempt to avoid insurance if you can. Any thing so much as a call to them to discuss a claim regardless of fault will put up your premium for next year. If you can resolve it without going down that route it would be better
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

alexperkins wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:54 am I would attempt to avoid insurance if you can. Any thing so much as a call to them to discuss a claim regardless of fault will put up your premium for next year. If you can resolve it without going down that route it would be better
problem is when you ask for £500+ to get a little dent repaired, 99% of people are going to tell you to take a long walk off a short pier
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Oh i agree, but for the premium increase, its sometimes better to just sort it out yourself. Just my two pence...
jb182
New

Car dented in car park

Post by jb182 »

alexperkins wrote:I would attempt to avoid insurance if you can. Any thing so much as a call to them to discuss a claim regardless of fault will put up your premium for next year. If you can resolve it without going down that route it would be better
cheers Alex, took it to bodyshop today for a quote £250 for door respray and repair of the door, which is lower than my insurance excess, so will have them do it.

Thanks everyone for all your advice.

Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

just hope they get a good match as a different colour door is going to stand out a mile

you shouldn't have to pay excess if you are claiming against their insurance
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Now that you have a price to fix it, why not get back in touch with the offender as maybe they also would get hammered by their insurer for making a claim, and so they might settle for that small sum or most of it at worst, is that worth doing do you think? There is only one time to get money back from them and that is before you have started getting it fixed!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Dink wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 7:37 pm just hope they get a good match as a different colour door is going to stand out a mile
A good bodyshop would blend the new paint into the adjoining panels.

OP; not sure from your picture if your car is white or silver. If it's silver, then it can be quite a difficult colour to get a good colour match, but by blending the new paint with the existing paint into the adjoining panels makes it possible to 'loose' any colour shade differences between the new paint and existing paint.

Hopefully, the bodyshop confirmed that they'd blend the new paint as above. If not, might be worth checking with them that they'll do this.
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:25 pm

Hopefully, the bodyshop confirmed that they'd blend the new paint as above. If not, might be worth checking with them that they'll do this.
from the price i guessed it would be just the door that's why i said i hope they get a good match
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Any body shop I’ve ever used will blend metallic colors as standard
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

I'm sure the urge to show off all your wrestling moves in front of everyone in the car park was immense. Luckily someones only hit my door when I was in a work van at 5 in the morning so I didn't car since it wasn't my own car couldn't have been arsed dealing with it so let it slide, if it were my own police would need to be called to protect the other person.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Willni wrote: Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:07 pm I'm sure the urge to show off all your wrestling moves in front of everyone in the car park was immense. Luckily someones only hit my door when I was in a work van at 5 in the morning so I didn't car since it wasn't my own car couldn't have been arsed dealing with it so let it slide, if it were my own police would need to be called to protect the other person.
There are lots of inconsiderate parkers out there who don't seem to care if they damage some else's vehicle. I really dislike having to park in public car parks. I had someone plant a nice ding in my nearside rear wheel arch last year when I had no option but to park in a busy car park when I went to the dentist; it was the only place to park.

Fortunately the paint wasn't broken, so the local PDR guy was able to sort it and completely remove the ding. Still made me very angry though, and my wallet £70 (I think) lighter.