Spigot rings

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Matte6r
New
Drives: 6r

Spigot rings

Post by Matte6r »

Just fitted some 17" alloys on the polo with an undetermined centre bore. I know that the car is 57.1 and test fitted the alloys hoping they'd fit. I put them on with no trouble and there's no wiggle or movement.

However I've contacted the manufacturer of the wheels and they say they have a centre bore of 72.6 which is quite a way off the cars CB. Would I not see some movement or issues with that big of a difference?

I've ordered some spigot rings just in case
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Re: Spigot rings

Post by Ricmondo »

You will probably only notice when the movement loosens or breaks the wheel nut and you become a Reliant Robin, or worse!

On modern cars the centre spigot holds the wheel in place, the wheel nuts are a secondary fitment.

Fit the adaptors or go back to the original wheels. Not wishing to be melodramatic but it's a potential killer that should not be underestimated.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Get a set of spigot rings, they're there so the weight of the car goes through the car and not the 5 bolts, hence why standard alloys don't come with spigot rings.

Ideally you'll want metal spigots but plastic work just as well
Matte6r
New

Post by Matte6r »

Ricmondo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:54 pm You will probably only notice when the movement loosens or breaks the wheel nut and you become a Reliant Robin, or worse!

On modern cars the centre spigot holds the wheel in place, the wheel nuts are a secondary fitment.

Fit the adaptors or go back to the original wheels. Not wishing to be melodramatic but it's a potential killer that should not be underestimated.
Will I be okay for a few days whilst I wait for them to be delivered?
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Legally your car is unroadworthy, your insurance is invalid, you are in danger, so am I if you drive near me....what do you think?
Matte6r
New

Post by Matte6r »

Ricmondo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 pm Legally your car is unroadworthy, your insurance is invalid, you are in danger, so am I if you drive near me....what do you think?
Okay so I got the rings today, went to put them on one of the wheels and..it didn't go in. It seems as if there's already a thick metal ring in there that won't budge. Am I right in thinking the previous owner must have fitted rings already? They won't come out at all, almost like they're welded in there
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Matte6r wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:30 pm
Ricmondo wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:46 pm Legally your car is unroadworthy, your insurance is invalid, you are in danger, so am I if you drive near me....what do you think?
Okay so I got the rings today, went to put them on one of the wheels and..it didn't go in. It seems as if there's already a thick metal ring in there that won't budge. Am I right in thinking the previous owner must have fitted rings already? They won't come out at all, almost like they're welded in there
If the wheel manufacturer advised the centre bore of your wheels is 72.6 and you said in one of your earlier threads that they were previously fitted to an older model Polo (same centre bore as your Polo 6r at 57.1) then yes, it's highly likely that your new wheels already have the correct size spigot rings fitted.

Have you measured the diameter of the centre bore (reverse side of wheel) of your new wheels with the existing metal rings fitted? Is it the same as the centre bore of your original wheels?