Retrofit armrest

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
marky9074
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Re: Retrofit armrest

Post by marky9074 »

How did it go? Was it the same as the Team BHP thread where you have to remove quite a bit of console to get at it?
hjgtiger
New
Drives: Dec 2016 White Gti auto

Post by hjgtiger »

Yes afraid so, but looks worse than it is - once you get going. I think the most 'frightening' bits were removing the bezel/trims around the radio - but bought some plastic trim removal tools on eBay - cheapy ones and all went well. At the time the car was only <3 months old. Specifying a factory fit armrest was £110 but as my car was bought 'as built' that was not an option so a self fit @ ~ £75 was pretty good.

I have found my pics but can't work out how to insert them - my Photobucket a/c is dead
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

Mine just turned up yesterday. Hopefully will get some time to fit soon. I've got a big trim puller, and a smaller metal one for slipping into phone cases/screens. Hoping between the two of them will be able to get it all off.
hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

I would be very careful using a metal tool on trim - the plastic is easily scratched.
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

Just learned that the hard way, after taking the gear lever trim off. No visible damage but has scratched underneath. I stopped then... (literally ten minutes ago). The plastic trim tool is too big for the dash surrounds. I was looking at Amazon and this set looks OK? It would be interesting to know what others used (specifically to get the dash trim off). Looks like I snapped one of the lugs on the pull up handbrake trim too (the easiest bit of trim to get off :roll: )

https://www.amazon.co.uk/neilsen-CT2287 ... trim+tools
hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

That Amazon set looks very much like the cheapy I got from eBay - I only had ~ 5 or 6 tools. or the radio trim I think that I used one like 3rd fro left on Amazon set. I damaged my DSG gear lever trim lug - IIRC, but still went back OK
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

More or less all fitted today. Couple of points. In my opinion, do not even both trying to get the head unit screen trim off from the top - much easier to use the trim tool from the bottom (as per the remove the head unit posts on YouTube). The heater control trim pulled off without any trim tool.

There were no screws on the left and right hand side of the main console (by the cup holders) as indicated in the TeamBHP thread (would be interested to see if others can confirm on a MY17). I found it odd that there was no real seat for the armrest to sit into (other thread implies it clicks when in place). The main nut was centred when I did it up, but there is some movement possible (5mm in each direction at a guess). With it centred all the trim lines up and seems to be in the correct place.

With the OEM armrest from Aus there was a standard trim screw that will not be able to be inserted after putting the last bit of trim on (I had to push it through a hole in the rear). This needs a long handled T20 Torx (which I don't have)...... Just about to order a long handled T20 to finish it off!

Forgot to say... I don't like the mechanism. It goes way past 90 degrees until it touches the handbrake, then when you start to pull it up it locks in place. Very odd.
hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

I also had console hold-down screws 'apparently missing' on my 66 plate GTI

My armrest seated quite firmly onto the alloy mount - no free play.

Mine also seems a liitle odd the way it goes down below horizontal, but a quick small up & down movement locks it at the desired angle. I don't move it much - but my car is DSG.
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

hjgtiger wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 8:56 pm I also had console hold-down screws 'apparently missing' on my 66 plate GTI

My armrest seated quite firmly onto the alloy mount - no free play.

Mine also seems a little odd the way it goes down below horizontal, but a quick small up & down movement locks it at the desired angle. I don't move it much - but my car is DSG.
Interesting...did you bother to fit these (the missing screws)?

As there is a slot in the mount I can push it forward around 5mm, and back 5mm. But I left it centred and the plastic trim lines up all around. I did wonder if the main mount was on the wrong way around, but I followed the instructions and made sure the shortest part was towards the back of the car. Below is how it looks fully down.

And then when pulled up a bit.

hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

I did not replace the screws as the console was very firm as it came.

I think if the alloy mount was in the wrong way round then none of the trim would line up

Mine looks just like yours. I don't find a problem with setting the armrest horizontal as I do not move it very often.

I would post my pics but can't work out how!
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

Thanks for that, its a weight off my mind! I did wonder about putting a bit of rubber or something in the mechanism to act as a stopper.... just seems odd!
hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

If you put something in the 'works' to limit how far down it goes then the built-in mechanism won't 'lock in' solidly
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

Because it has to go all the way down before it can come up? Hmm hadn't thought of that. It just seems so retarded that it would be able to go through more than 90 degrees.....
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

Actually I am thinking this is a design feature rather than a floor - with it at that odd angle I can actually change gear OK :mrgreen:
hjgtiger
New

Post by hjgtiger »

I think it is more likely that the ratchet mechanism used is common to a range of models they manufacture. It is also an inherent feature of such a mechanism (ie lockable at ~any angle) that it must move past the desired angle and brought back up to lock.
I don't have the gear change problem as I'm DSG, but I have read of several 'manual drivers' who leave the armrest fully up owing to the difficulty of getting at the gear-stick with it in the horizontal position.