Anyone tuned 6c gti beyond stage 1?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Sustanon250
New
Drives: 2015 gti

Anyone tuned 6c gti beyond stage 1?

Post by Sustanon250 »

Interested in feedback from anyone who has gone beyond stage 1 , I currently have AMD software and cobra non res exhaust + eibach springs and the car is damn near perfect, but I'm tempted to do de-cat, even air box and stage 2 software , anyone gone this far ?
How does it drive? Any issues ?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: Anyone tuned 6c gti beyond stage 1?

Post by SRGTD »

Presumably you use your car on the road? If so then I'd say one of the issues is that a de-cat isn't legal for road use in the UK. As you'll need to declare your de-cat mod to your insurer, they (or any other insurer) are highly unlikely to insure a car with a de-cat exhaust that's used on public roads.
Sustanon250
New

Post by Sustanon250 »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:46 am Presumably you use your car on the road? If so then I'd say one of the issues is that a de-cat isn't legal for road use in the UK. As you'll need to declare your de-cat mod to your insurer, they (or any other insurer) are highly unlikely to insure a car with a de-cat exhaust that's used on public roads.
I'm not so sure I agree . Just tell your insurance company you have a non standard, turbo back exhaust. In the event of an accident, even if the did check (unlikely ) I very much doubt they can get out of paying .
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

I daresay the 6c Polo GTI wouldn't have been granted type approval without a cat being fitted. It would also be unlikely to pass an emissions test with the cat removed, which from an MOT perspective would make it unroadworthy and my insurer (and I suspect pretty much all insurers in the UK) have a roadworthiness requirement in their insurance policy; not complying with this requirement could invalidate your insurance policy.

Would your insurer check in the event of an accident? I think if a car's been modified, they're more likely to examine the car much more thoroughly in the event of an accident for any undeclared mods than they would examine a non-modified car.
Sustanon250
New

Post by Sustanon250 »

We shall have to agree to disagree! (And the thousands of other performance car owners that decat their car !)

To keep the peace, let's just say im fitting a 200 cell sports-cat , so , has anyone here gone down that route? I guess the first thing to go will be the clutch
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

looking at the intercooler that is the first thing i will be changing.

i'm looking to get as many mods as i can do without having to get it mapped

then go down the full IS38 upgrade route
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

You can't really agree to disagree a cat is a legal requirement for UK road use if one was fitted at the time of manufacture.

Black and white no room to disagree.

You may choose to ignore the law and accept the consequences, many motorists do without really understanding the implications.
Sustanon250
New

Post by Sustanon250 »

Dink wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:59 pm looking at the intercooler that is the first thing i will be changing.

i'm looking to get as many mods as i can do without having to get it mapped

then go down the full IS38 upgrade route

What is the IS38 ? Is that the turbo from the golf ?

Car is booked in now for stage 2 with decat, revo airbox and turbo muffler delete.

Will upgrade intercooler early next year.
sakavicius
New
Drives: 6c gti

Post by sakavicius »

Hey guys please remember the original question. Anything above stage one, if your unsure about insurance check the policys and legislations in your country. Simple. Now back onto topic, 6c gti here stage one apr tune will be doing miltek non res high flow turbo back with stage 2 apr cold air intake, bov, clutch and possibly brakes and intercooler. Sadly they do not provide stage 3, so if you think you want to go higher than that. Choose a different company tuner to go with. An expensive mistake i am making myself. Should have had the work done a month ago however the company im dealing with are slow to respond at the best if times and is frustrating.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

Sustanon250 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:38 am
What is the IS38 ? Is that the turbo from the golf ?

Car is booked in now for stage 2 with decat, revo airbox and turbo muffler delete.

Will upgrade intercooler early next year.
yep turbo off a golf R. Pretty much a bolt on upgrade.
Sustanon250
New

Post by Sustanon250 »

Nice. I have seen them going for £400 odd on eBay. Good for around 340bhp on our cars I guess . Im guessing you'd need to take a look at upgrading injectors/fuel pump and a custom map, def. Intercooler and clutch!
Dink
Platinum Member

Post by Dink »

Sustanon250 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 pm Nice. I have seen them going for £400 odd on eBay. Good for around 340bhp on our cars I guess . Im guessing you'd need to take a look at upgrading injectors/fuel pump and a custom map, def. Intercooler and clutch!
i'd definitely be getting brand new one as there has been issues with them in the past.

JBS have got 380 BHP out of it.

oh yeah intercooler and clutch required but the 8 injectors and fuel pump is enough
Sustanon250
New

Post by Sustanon250 »

Dink wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:52 pm
Sustanon250 wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:48 pm Nice. I have seen them going for £400 odd on eBay. Good for around 340bhp on our cars I guess . Im guessing you'd need to take a look at upgrading injectors/fuel pump and a custom map, def. Intercooler and clutch!
i'd definitely be getting brand new one as there has been issues with them in the past.

oh yeah intercooler and clutch required but the 8 injectors and fuel pump is enough
380 in a polo is nuts ! Maybe too much ? Mine is rapid at 240odd 8)
sakavicius
New
Drives: 6c gti

Post by sakavicius »

Sustanon250 wrote:
Dink wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:52 pm

380 in a polo is nuts ! Maybe too much ? Mine is rapid at 240odd 8)
Is it ever enough ;)

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk