Coolant Problems

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Coolant Problems

Post by gaza1994 »

Ok, this car is starting to drive me nuts haha!

I've noticed since i bought my car that the coolant was going down at a much faster rate than it should be, but not going down at an alarming rate (if that makes sense)

It's been in to numoriouus garages and they cant find where the leak is coming from.

However, recently i've noticed a bit of a smell in the cabin, a waxy/grease film on the inside of the windscreen and the fog, OMG the fog, it does not want to shift (and its a brand spankin new windshield). However The passenger side footwell doesn't feel damp

Am i right on saying its the heater core thats gone? - The car is under warranty still, so if it is, its going straight back to the garage to get it fixed - just needs opinions on what you guys think it could be.

As always, thanks guys :D
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Coolant Problems

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that you need to get that car into your local VW garage if none of the garages your warranty allows you to use can't find anything wrong. I'd image that they would pressure test the cooling system, and then take it from there.
Just a couple of things, it seems that this model of Polo/Fabia/Ibiza do tend to mist up very quickly under certain conditions, which previous versions did not, so don't use that misting/fogging issue as it is definitely leaking into the car out of the heater matrix, also greasiness on glass could be due to nasty stuff being drawn in from outside, or just general plastics out gassing.
Though a proper cooling system pressure check should prove that there is indeed a leak.
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Post by gaza1994 »

sorry, surfacing an old problem, but its FINALLY been fixed.

The problem was due to the following:
- A do-dad going into the exhaust manifold (sorry not very technical)
- Water pumps spewing their guts up (very nice)

So going on what was previously said, pressure tests where no use, because the coolant would congeal sealing up any holes (car was normally tested in the morning just as the shop opened and id leave the car with them over night)

So what ended up happening was the car got stripped to find anything that looked like it even remotely leaked!

This fixed the issue with number 1. then it leaked again, but this time we found that it was a pump sold by TMS auto parts (which i think is just a local company here) - nothing but issues with pumps from them!

So got genuine pump fitted and all seems well (it has only been 2 weeks though)

I know its probably not useful to some people, but i suppose, for anyone thats searching, its something to check i guess? :)
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Thanks for letting us know how it was resolved 8)

Genuine water pumps are the way to go. Anything else is generally poor quality.