Lowering just the rear?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Matte6r
New
Drives: 6r

Lowering just the rear?

Post by Matte6r »

im interested in buying some 25/40mm springs from someone for a good price. I got a quote of £150 for installation which I'm not really looking to spend. Ive been looking up how to install yourself and am considering doing so.

However if worse comes to worst, because the rears are so much easier to install, would I be able to just install the read springs and leave the fronts stock?

Would that cause any issues? Just not comfortable with my mechanical skills
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Re: Lowering just the rear?

Post by gaza1994 »

Matte6r wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:43 am im interested in buying some 25/40mm springs from someone for a good price. I got a quote of £150 for installation which I'm not really looking to spend. Ive been looking up how to install yourself and am considering doing so.

However if worse comes to worst, because the rears are so much easier to install, would I be able to just install the read springs and leave the fronts stock?

wouldnt that make your car "wonky" with heights?
Matte6r
New
Drives: 6r

Post by Matte6r »

gaza1994 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:20 am
Matte6r wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:43 am im interested in buying some 25/40mm springs from someone for a good price. I got a quote of £150 for installation which I'm not really looking to spend. Ive been looking up how to install yourself and am considering doing so.

wouldnt that make your car "wonky" with heights?
Is it not already wonky though? My rear sits much higher than my fronts. If anything wouldn't dropping the rear make it more even?
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

Personally I wouldn't lower just the rears as it has the potential to cause a number of issues

First and most important is its likely to alter the handling of the car and not for the better. Vehicle manufacturers in particular ( and to a degree after market parts suppliers ) spend millions on research and development to ensure their products are safe, reliable, predictable etc. Lowering just the rear is likely to compromise all that and so could have safety implications if your car handles differently, particularly in unforeseen situations.

If you do upset the geometry which is likely, you'll almost certainly see increased tyre wear.

Insurance companies are not keen on any modifications even those approved by manufactures or supplied and fitted by reputable suppliers (hence the premium increases) as a standard car allows them to make an accurate assessment of risk as they know the performance of the car. Modifying just the rear as you are thinking of will almost certainly end with your insurer refusing to cover you on standard terms if at all.

You mentioned about not being comfortable with your mechanical skills ( like me) so I would attempt a DIY spring change as this will require the springs to be safely compressed to remove and install, something that could end in tragedy if you get it wrong.

At the end of the day the above are just my thoughts