Stage 2 and DPF's

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
nathan6r
New
Drives: 6r 1.6 TDI

Stage 2 and DPF's

Post by nathan6r »

Hi Guys,

My 2010 POLO 1.6 TDI CR is remapped at around 120 bhp (Still needs putting on dyno).

Of course 120bhp isn't enough and I need to go higher and higher, Im not wanting to delete the DPF as i don't want any hassle with the popo.

Anyway for me to continue to stage 2 i've been told i need to either delete the DPF or put a Race DPF on. The part that confuses me is that if i put a Race DPF on can i delete the EGR (As far as Im aware the EGR basically throws unused fuel back in) as this would still pass the MOT and id have a improve in performance(hopefully :D ).

Also want to add popcorn limiter but was told i need to delete the DPF for it to sound right so id hope the Race DPF could sort this.

Looking on darkside developments it mentions "(vehicles with regeneration software active will need to refit the stock pressure and EGT sensors)" Can anyone explain why?

If i sound a little retarded please don't have a go, just explain it to me, Thanks :D
I understand i could save my money and upgrade my car so avoid those comments please :p
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Stage 2 and DPF's

Post by iichel »

No the EGR does not put back in unburned fuel. The way a diesel engine works, there is hardly any unburned fuel in the first place since it runs with excessive air.

the EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, you may want to have a guess as to what it does....
No, you're wrong. It cuts back emissions in the NOx region.
Disabling it will cause your car to emit more fine particles.

The DPF or Diesel Particle Filter will catch different particles, mostly unburned carbon soot.
The Diesel Particle Filter is built up out of a ceramic part to catch particles and another part that is the catalytic converter. I also holds a few temperature, pressure and lambda probes.

Removing any of these emission devices is not going to increase power and is in many countries an environmental offense and cause you to fail your MOT.