In precise terms, what's the difference between a 6C and a 6R, for a 2014 - 17 Polo?

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

In precise terms, what's the difference between a 6C and a 6R, for a 2014 - 17 Polo?

Post by veteran »

Yup, I'm asking this question because I keep being told in these forums that my 2017 Match Edition is a 6C. That, however, contradicts the fact that the registration document (V5c) shows it as a 6R.

The VW dealer from whom the vehicle was bought registered it, so maybe he/she made a mistake and called it a 6R? If in truth it's a 6C, I'll likely need to get in touch with DVLA to get the registration document amended.

Structurally and functionally, what differences exist between a 6R and a 6C, for a Match Edition 1.2 produced this year?
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: In precise terms, what's the difference between a 6C and a 6R, for a 2014 - 17 Polo?

Post by RUM4MO »

Completely different platforms I think, but biggest difference is in the electronics package - oh and the at least petrol engines, the 1.2TSI 6R petrol engines are chain driven camshaft with 8 valves, whereas the 1.2TSI 6C petrol engines are belt driven camshaft with 16 valves.

So other changes as well.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: In precise terms, what's the difference between a 6C and a 6R, for a 2014 - 17 Polo?

Post by SRGTD »

The Polo 6r was launched in 2009. It was given a facelift towards the end of 2014 when it became known as the 6c, so yours is a 6c. The reason it’s shown as a 6r on your V5 is it uses the same chassis as the 6r, so the dealer didn’t make a mistake and there’s no need to get the DVLA to change your V5 (my 2016 Polo 6c GTI is also shown as a 6r on the V5).

I don’t know what specific differences exist between the 6r and 6c versions of the Match Edition, but the main changes that were introduced as part of the facelift across the Polo model range included the revision of some of the power plants (e.g. the 1.4 twin charge engine in the GTI was replaced by a 1.8 turbocharged engine and some of the smaller engines using a cam belt rather than a timing chain), revised bumper design, revised front and rear light units, different design of steering wheel, new electronic technology - updated (touch screen) infotainment units and introduction of Automatic Post Collision Braking..
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

" ...... and some of the smaller engines using a cam belt rather than a timing chain), revised bumper design, revised front and rear light units, different design of steering wheel, new electronic technology - updated (touch screen) infotainment units and introduction of Automatic Post Collision Braking..".

Yeh, that sounds like my new Polo. I think that, before 2016/17, a 90 bhp TSI 1.2 engine (mine) didn't exist with this body-shape. On mine, I think they also introduced discs at the rear, though I'm not sure quite when. Mine's a CJZC engine; on the V5 it says 'variant ABCJZC'. It also states a 'version no.', which is a very long alphanumeric string.

So, in your view, how should I refer to my Polo, in polite social company? As a 6C? Maybe, 6C variant? Or 6C/6R?
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

In ‘polite social company’, I’d refer to it as a Polo Match Edition, as the uninitiated are unlikely to understand the significance of it being a 6c (facelift) model. In discussions on the forum, I’d refer to it as a 6c Polo Match Edition 1.2.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

It is quite difficult to say, but most will say 6C as that ties it down to being the later version of Polo, even some of the official parts listing uses the term "6C" for cars made after the facelift point in late 2013 early 2014.
So, your car is a 1.2TSI, I thought that all these new build Polo 6C would be 1.0TSI by now. My wife's Polo is the CJZD variant of that 1.2TSI so is a 110PS rating engine and 6MT. I'm surprised that VW have included rear discs to a 90PS car, maybe progress or they are running out what stock of 6C parts they have on the shelf. Strangely, back in 2002 the 9N Polo with a 1.4 16V petrol engine with an output of 75PS had rear discs when in SE trim, then these rear discs vanished of these lower powered Polos when the 9N3 facelift appeared and again when the first of the 6R Polo appeared very few variants had rear discs, but things have changed a bit.

One thing though, with my wife's 1.2TSI 110PS Polo, the front discs and calliper are the same size as my old 2000 VW Passat 4Motion with the 2.8 30V 197PS engine, so that is progress for you, certainly the larger discs on the 110PS engine cars do give a better braking experience than they did on the old Passat!
PeterWestSussex
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI 110 SEL DSG in white, 2015

Post by PeterWestSussex »

RUM4MO wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2017 4:16 pm ..... I'm surprised that VW have included rear discs to a 90PS car, ....
Whilst rear brakes experience much lower percentage braking force than front ones, drums have become VERY troublesome. Some say it's because of restrictions on modern lining composition
I had trouble with rear drums on my 2013 High up!. Just go to the up! members Forum and read the reams of posts on rear brake drum woes!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I agree with you on that in general, but 99% of that is not down to changing friction materials, that changed 10s of years ago, what in my mind has changed and is causing these issues is, service content is being cut back to reduce servicing costs, and this as far as VW Group are concerned means no more removing brake drums, every second year wheels are meant to get removed and brakes visually checked - but if any need for work is thought, all you get is "re-book the car in and a brake clean up will cost you £??? - I've been there and said no. Most if not all proper trained techs in main dealerships will tell you that (rear) drum brakes are best, they are cheapest to fit to a car, adequate to provide rear braking and remain working very well if serviced every other year.

Now, I do prefer rear disc brakes as they are easy to work on, but they also need regular servicing and invariably, the rear discs need replaced due to corrosion - due to lack of use, which is before they are always, on small VW Group cars, over sized so over spec'd for that task.

In the DIYer world, it is only too easy to forget about servicing the rear drum brakes - basically because, if you are lazy/stupid/lacking knowledge, they always look okay on the outside!

Edit:- the only thing that I forgot to include is, servicing rear drum brakes is a very nice little earner for garages?
PeterWestSussex
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI 110 SEL DSG in white, 2015

Post by PeterWestSussex »

Indeed! I was mortified after my three year service to be told that rear drum removal never been done in 3 years. It is no longer included at ANY stage. There's an inspection hole ...!!

So I booked it in for a rear drum service. Initially quoted £170, then £100. On collection was told No Charge - but I suspect something came out of my Service Plan.

Whatever they did, it lasted a week before sticking again after overnight parking (in house garage at that.) and not even after a drive in the wet. So parking in gear, with handbrake OFF (only acts on rear shoes anyway, I believe. It's a 'Parking brake') solved the issue.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

My daughter's late 2009 Ibiza SC was just over a year old when she found the handbrake seized after leaving it parked, in winter for a couple of days, my advice then was to call the AA out as it would be quicker/easier than me driving to her flat with a hammer!

While I was looking after that car, as she was working in KL, I built up a slope of gravel in the driveway and it was always left just resting against that.

I discovered, when I took the drums off that car, that there was an area of "black" - that was just where it had been rusting at some time in the past, I used a wire brush on a drill on that until it was all shining sliver again, problem solved for the time being! At least the linings on the shoes were not cracked as they had been on her previous Ibiza 6K no doubt from a few instances of lightly seized brakes being driven free!
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

for the disc brake calipers, there are these return springs that can be fitted on the polos 230 and 256mm rear calipers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151606803031

VW part numbers 1K0615295 and 1K0615296
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I've always used the Sharan/Alhambra version as it works very well and I've used them on a Polo since 2004 and again with this 2015 Polo - personally, I found the Golf version too heavy a spring action after buying both to evaluate them back in 2004 before fitting the Sharan version.

Edit:- in case someone is confused by my message, 1K0 is the Golf version, 7M0 version is the Sharan etc, that might not be what that ebay listing says, but is true!
Evo
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C DSG

Post by Evo »

wondered this also. I picked up my 2015 GTI DSG last week. looks like a 6C but my (Australian) Rego shows as a 6R
SRGTD

Post by SRGTD »

Evo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 am wondered this also. I picked up my 2015 GTI DSG last week. looks like a 6C but my (Australian) Rego shows as a 6R
If it’s a 2015, it should be a 6c. A 6c GTI will have the 1.8 turbocharged engine and not the 1.4 twin charge engine that was fitted to the 6r GTI. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the 6c uses the same chassis as the 6r, so that’s why it’s shown as a 6r on your Rego (your registration document?). You should also have a touchscreen infotainment unit with 4 vertical buttons on either side of the screen. For functions such as stop start, rear window heater, hazard warning lights etc, 6c has a row of either;
(a) 9 buttons/switches above the infotainment unit
or
(b) 6 buttons/switches and 2 slots to the right of the 6 buttons for credit card/car park entry pass-type cards above the infotainment unit

the 6r had 7 buttons/switches above the infotainment unit.
Evo
New
Drives: Polo GTI 6C DSG

Post by Evo »

SRGTD wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:45 pm
Evo wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:42 am wondered this also. I picked up my 2015 GTI DSG last week. looks like a 6C but my (Australian) Rego shows as a 6R
If it’s a 2015, it should be a 6c. A 6c GTI will have the 1.8 turbocharged engine and not the 1.4 twin charge engine that was fitted to the 6r GTI. As mentioned earlier in this thread, the 6c uses the same chassis as the 6r, so that’s why it’s shown as a 6r on your Rego (your registration document?). You should also have a touchscreen infotainment unit with 4 vertical buttons on either side of the screen. For functions such as stop start, rear window heater, hazard warning lights etc, 6c has a row of either;
(a) 9 buttons/switches above the infotainment unit
or
(b) 6 buttons/switches and 2 slots to the right of the 6 buttons for credit card/car park entry pass-type cards above the infotainment unit

the 6r had 7 buttons/switches above the infotainment unit.
thanks for the info!

thats all ticks for the 6C then. :D
I just got bummed with no CarPlay on my Mib unit then unfortunately