Uneven air from centre vents

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Sunbeam1968
New
Drives: 2015 1.2 TSI SE

Uneven air from centre vents

Post by Sunbeam1968 »

Hi
My wife has a November 2015 registered 1.2 TSI SE,right hand drive, bought new.
Recently we noticed there is more air coming out of the driver's side middle vent compared to the passenger side.
I have tried both vents in various positions but it is always the drivers one that has more air coming out.
The only way to equal the airflow is to partly shut off the drivers side vent. Not a major issue, just wondered if anyone else has had this issue?
It has been back to the dealer not only for this issue but also the interior fan fluctuates during use.
I was told by the dealer that there is more air from the drivers side vent as that is nearer the motor and they found the same on a couple of other Polos in thier stock so they told me.
Is this true or are they feeding me BS to save them looking further? I would have thought a brand like V W would have thought out even air distribution irrespective of where they fit the fan? My 19 year old Punto doesnt suffer this issue :)
The fan fluctuating I was told was down to a poor earth on the air con but firstly it hasnt solved the problem and it fluctuates whether the aircon is on or off.
The car is going back to the dealer next week for another look so wondered if anyone on this forum can advise on any of the above?
Many thanks.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Uneven air from centre vents

Post by RUM4MO »

I have found that the performance of the cabin air temperature system on these, at least 6C Polos is completely inadequate, but posting that is probably opening up old wounds! Actually it is/was a well discussed topic on SEAT and Skoda forums as well since these similar models appeared in the showrooms, not good enough when compared with the previous models!
Air distribution from the main outlets is very poor especially to the driver's foot wells.
I've never noticed any problem with the dash mounted vents though as normally the centre two are closed, though I seem to have opened them up a month or so ago to sanitise the heater/cooler plenum/air mixing box.
What I don't object to is the slow/long time before you get warm air into the cabin, that is okay as the engine is being allowed to keep/use the heating up coolant to bring it up to optimum operating temperature and so low emissions.
Sunbeam1968
New

Post by Sunbeam1968 »

Thanks for the reply.
I might go to another V W dealer and ask if I can try the fan for myself to see if this is a common issue.
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

I have climatronic in my 6C GTI and I must confess I dont find it all that wonderful. On really warm days you tend to have to have it on LO with the fan fairly jacked up to not start getting warm from solar radiation from outside.

It will however start icing the screen up on colder wetter days if turned down too much.

The 2 zone climatronic ive had on larger MQB cars (Octavia and Golf) have been better...but then I guess their systems are beefier and have a bit more overall functionality.

Got two zone climate in a 2016 Zafira Tourer as well and whilst perfectly adequate I find that in order to get it super cold in warmer weather you really have to turn the temp right down and fan right up and thats a large 7 seat car
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Trouble is, I and others it seems, did not find this an issue with the 9N Polo or equivalent Fabia or Ibiza, but the Fabia folk are reporting their disappointment for the systems on the current Fabia - when comparing it with the older model, like we are doing here for the current Polos, so I'm guessing that something is not quite right design wise.
Sunbeam1968
New

Post by Sunbeam1968 »

No further forward with the different airflow level from the centre vents, still need to try another Polo of the same age and spec.
As for the fan speed fluctuationg, again this is not resolved aprt from the technichian telling me that all voltages and currents are correct. He took another Polo of the same age out and said the same thing happened with that , as in while driving and you put slight pressure on the throttle then back off, the fan speed fluctuates momentarily which on a long journey becomes tiresome. Aparently the explanation is that "possibly" the computer is monitoring the battery voltage so reduces the voltage monentarily, resulting in the fan speed issue , so looks like it is a design flaw with the Polo! Along with the design of the fuel cap which is supposed to lay on top of the fuel flap...Fine on a still day or when the car is clean but on a windy day the cap blows or falls off and if the car is dirty, grit could transfer from the cap to the fuel!!
While we like the car, it isnt a good start to V W ownership. :roll: