10k/nearly a year with the 6C GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

10k/nearly a year with the 6C GTI

Post by pipsyp »

So Ive had my 6C GTI for over 10k miles now (really about 11) and approaching a year end of Dec.

I just wanted to give a brief right-up on what I think of the car, how its been over that period and the pros and cons of owning one. Hopefully it'll make a reasonable tead for someone buying one or thinking about it.

So my car is a May 2015 3 door manual. I didnt buy it new then....no it was about 19 months old with 29k miles on the clock....but it represented excellent value for money and had been very well looked after by its 1st keeper. Real draw to this particular car was partly being a 3 door (I wasnt bothered about practicality), a manual (with its extra torque and likely engagement) but mainly its massive spec. Literally bar curtain airbags, sunroof and front armrest it has everything else ticked incl. The hot topic sports performance pack. Id struggle to find such a tidy, well equipped one again I think; particularly for what it cost.

I bought the car for work.....I travel a fair amount and wanted something I could enjoy, that wouldnt cost me mega bucks in running costs (note depreciation as well as fuel/servicing) and provide me relative comfort for some long journeys I typically have to undertake. I like VAG cars and had many prior to this (last few 2 x Mk7 GTDs and a Mk3 Octavia 150TDI Elegance estate) so it had a few v good cars to live up to in ways other than performance.

So to get to it.....v impressed indeed. Its been completely reliable and dependable with two big standouts for me......it feels far more refined and grown up than I expected it to. Its actually v comfortable and I wouldnt say any more or less wearing to drive than a Mk7 Golf or Mk3 Octavia. I do get a bit of clutch leg ache now and again on a particularly ballbreaking drive but I would have done in my Golfs and Octavia too. The ride whilst firm is generally excellent and having the DCC dampers makes a difference. V composed in Normal, rock hard (really too stiff) in Sport but Ill get to that.

The other standout is fuel economy.......the thing driven v sensibly will do well into the 40's....for someone very determined I dont doubt that 50mpg would be achievable on a steady run with few interuptions. Even flogged it will return mid to high 30's on a decent run. Given the performance on tap it doesnt have the right to be as efficient as it is IMHO and that part has really impressed.

In terms of how it is to drive, I really like it very much. Its probably overall the best car Ive owned. It handles well (enough...again Ill get to that), stops great and the motor steals the show....its a lesson in smooth, punchy, relentless and lag free mid range power. It feels as though its overpowering the car at times and its all the better for it. Stick it in sport it all gets a bit skitty and mad and its really really fun on the right bit of mood on the right road.

But its not all perfect. Though what car really is.

The suspension is a bit tall and has a little too much travel in it....so it does have a bit of a looseness to it and has a bit more body roll than I expected. Its not terrible by any stretch but sometimes it just doesnt feel as planted as it should do....still corners like on rails in real terms but I find sometimes Im putting blind faith in the car and its electronics to get me through some bends...rather than the composure of the car reassuring me. The sports button firms things up but doesnt really counter that looseness. Its nothing a decent set of lowering springs wont sort. That said sometimes you get the feeling its trying to drive you, rather than you driving it and that challenge can often be enjoyed....that whole small car with a little too much power thing isnt always a bad thing. Those with one in standard form I am sure mostly will get what I mean.

The gearchange isnt wonderful.....its pleasant enough in normal driving but really get cracking and its just not short or direct enough for my liking. Far from the worst ive experienced but it could be better. I dont know if there is a shortshift kit available for the 6C GTI but one would improve things no end I am sure. Also (and I suspect its somewhat down to the relatively large torque output) you get a bit of gearbox whine at low speeds and the clutch can act a little like and on/off switch in stop start traffic if not payint attention....made far worse when the car is in Sport. Though its is more an observation than a complaint....the Mk7 GTDs werent much better.

Other minor things....the sat nav isnt wonderful...well more so its dynamic routing capabilities. If forced to change a route it tends to insist on U turns. Sometimes it just makes some very odd routing decisions. The infotainment was also very glitchy but has been much improved courtesy of a recent TPI fix at the dealers.

Also some of the plastics are a bit easy to scratch....scuff your foot on the door trim getting out for example...most often it will leave a permanent mark. My glovebox is also quite badly scratched, seems you only need breath on it and it picks up marks.

Finally the Parabolica alloys....love them as I might already they are starting to corrode. If I keep the car longer term I will get them painted....diamond cut wheels just arent practical on a daily drive IMHO.

Also servicing isnt cheap...well I dont particularly think so. A 40k major service with AC service cost me 409 quid. Ive had company cars or cars with service packs for years so perhaps Im a bit out of touch?

Improvements.....well Id lower it for a start, a JB1 would be considered for more power (with c. 240hp and 300lb/ft torque itd be a monster) and Id consider a mid-silencer removal to create a bit more noise maybe. If a short shift kit were available Id look into one of those too.

Otherwise brilliant car. For me shines above the ST, Clio RS and 208GTI in its ability to be heaps of fun but exude a level of quality and maturity these cars cant muster. For me I prefer the look of it to the Golf GTI. Just a fantastic little car, that could perhaps handle just a touch better from the factory.

Would I have paid the thick end of 22k for it new.....I doubt it but for what its cost it to me represents about the best fast hatch I could buy. I'll probably be keeping it a while and putting some miles on...though the release of the Hyundai i30n has me interested....never thought id ever say that if a Korean car!!
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: 10k/nearly a year with the 6C GTI

Post by SRGTD »

Nice review pipsyp.

I’ve had my Polo GTI 19 months now and still really enjoy it. It’s also one of the most enjoyable cars I’ve owned.

I agree with you on the sports performance pack and I don’t often use the sport setting as I find it a little to firm for everyday driving on the routes I normally drive. I agree that the ride height also looks a little high but I’ve no plans to lower mine - I’m too old for that sort of thing these days :lol:. I also find mine to be very good on fuel consumption and regularly see 40+ mpg; my long term average according to the car’s fuel computer is currently 41-42 mpg - much of that is down to the congested roads I travel on where there’s rarely an opportunity to do anything other than go with the flow of the traffic at a fairly leisurely pace!

I bought a 2 year service plan which cost £287.82 for the first two services, which I think is pretty good value.

I had a mk6 Golf GTD before the Polo GTI and there are more hard scratchy plastics on the lower panels in the Polo compared to the Golf. I didn’t find downsizing from a Golf to a Polo brought any significant disadvantages - yes, the boot is a little small, but big enough for what I need to put in it.

I agree with you on the diamond cut alloys. I really dislike diamond cut wheels, and they’re not suited to the UK winter weather when the roads are covered in salt and grit. I looked after the diamond cut alloys on my Golf - regularly sealing and waxing them and a couple of them still suffered from white worm corrosion at 2.5 years old. I put a set of VW Motorsport alloys (anthracite powder coated finish) on the Polo within 3-4 months of getting the car which IMO look better and are much more durable and practical.

I’ve still got the diamond cut alloys, which will go back on when the time comes to sell the car - not any time soon as I’m enjoying it too much and normally keep my cars 4-5 years.
pipsyp
Getting There!

Post by pipsyp »

Cheers SRGTD.

It really is a fabulous little car despite some of its arguably very minor shortcomings; I nearly bought a Mk3 Octavia vRS TDI instead of it.....probably would have made more sense in some ways (even better on fuel for one) but glad I didnt.

I had been umming and arring over changing it as doing so many long journeys an auto probably would suit me better.....had the 125d, M135i and 330d in mind but the more I looked into it the less it made sense. Id want a facelift 125d really (as I didnt want the notorious N47 engine) and youre talking 20k minimum. Lovely as they are they are hardly any faster and being a diesel I doubt half as enjoyable. Somewhat the similar problem for the 3 series....a 3/4 year old car with a few miles still command strong money and whilst its impressive its still a diesel. Love a 135i but I just know the fuel economy will suck by comparison. It then becomes a case of what isa worthy replacement....there at this time arent any in my mind...certainly nothing that will give me the same benefits and more performance.

I think the GTI needs the Sports Performance pack to be really complete. I dont much care for the ride quality when its on, but it so changes the character of the car that I know I would miss it if I didnt have it. Naughty of VW really...for the sake of a few hundred quid they probably should have just made it standard equipment. One bug shame is that its all or nothing, be nice if it were possible to have an individual setting as Id probably drive it around with everything in sport bar the dampers all the time otherwise....that'd be the perfect compromise.

Agreed the boot is tiny but its sufficient for mosts needs Id have thought. Certainly it'll take a reasonable shop and plenty of space with seats folded. I have a 7 seater as the other family car though so of course not a concern :-)

The diamond cut wheels are terrible though...I half considered trying to claim for them but I know replace them and another 18/24 months they'll just go again. I'll get them done gloss black at some point if they get much worse. Like the Motorsport alloys they are v cool.
Algeo007
New
Drives: Gti 1.8 tsi mk 6 66 plate

Post by Algeo007 »

Having owned and run a M135i, the fuel economy is around 50 miles a tank different. Shows how good the mpg is n the Bimmer for what power is on offer
Sustanon250
New
Drives: 2015 gti

Post by Sustanon250 »

Get your car mapped, a set of eibach springs and an exhaust and it will be 50% better, trust me... :)

I've come from an M135, a stage 4.25 GT-R and a 720bhp E63amg and I absolutely love my polo now I've done the above mods. Standard the car is , well , a tad dull....
pipsyp
Getting There!

Post by pipsyp »

Algeo007 wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:41 pm Having owned and run a M135i, the fuel economy is around 50 miles a tank different. Shows how good the mpg is n the Bimmer for what power is on offer
Yeah for a 315hp 3.0 turbo six you really cant grumble.

I absolutely love the things and v familiar as my Dad had one up until he died a couple of years ago....was a 2013 5 door auto in Black with most of the options on it....a lovely car which had my circumstances been different at the time (I was in another job and lumbered with a company car/car allowance with low CO2 emmisions) Id have probably bought it off my Mum. Shame but such is life.

Polo is a brilliant car, just the mix of performance, entertainment and running costs even as a standard car (given most running on good fuel seem to dyno into the early 200hp's) not alot touches them.
pipsyp
Getting There!

Post by pipsyp »

Sustanon250 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:46 pm Get your car mapped, a set of eibach springs and an exhaust and it will be 50% better, trust me... :)

I've come from an M135, a stage 4.25 GT-R and a 720bhp E63amg and I absolutely love my polo now I've done the above mods. Standard the car is , well , a tad dull....
Yeah quite believe it as Ive sampled a JB1 box on one, making c. 240-250hp and it was hugely impressive. Takes the car from being pokey to genuinely very fast...for a Polo.

In fairness though a 200 brake Polo will feel pretty shart after the cars you list above..no disrespect but they simply are not comparable.

A JB1 or decent map from the likes of Revo or APR, a set of lowering springs....maybe some better brake pads its about there. The exhaust noise stock I can arguably live with as I spend alot of time on the M-way but it would be nice at times to have more sound. A valved cat-back might be a way to go?