VW authorised Tuners

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
MczZippy
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6C - Flash Red

VW authorised Tuners

Post by MczZippy »

Do VW have "authorised" tuners? i know ford have monotune, Volvo have polestar etc but not sure if VW have one?
also i know there was some talk about the dealer being able to detect if a tuning box has been fitted, is this the case? or is it just re-maps that are detected by the ECU?

Thanks!
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: VW authorised Tuners

Post by iichel »

I think what you're looking for is ABT
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Mountune !

Daniel Abt is a Formula E driver.

ABT is represented in UK by Richter Sport if you need any info.
marky9074
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Post by marky9074 »

So is there an ABT warranty in the UK? I see on their web site they list two engine codes for the 1.8 GTI a DAJA & DAJB? One has less torque? Anybody had this ABT upgrade on their GTI?
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

One is automatic one is manual transmission
panosvet
New
Drives: Vw polo gti 6c

Post by panosvet »

marky9074 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:59 pm So is there an ABT warranty in the UK? I see on their web site they list two engine codes for the 1.8 GTI a DAJA & DAJB? One has less torque? Anybody had this ABT upgrade on their GTI?
Ι am all ears on this, too 😀.Wonder wheather 29 nm makes any notable difference from standard. This is the most conservative torque tune of all...
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

I think it will be just a limited warranty the same as other box tuners offer, which for all intents and purposes is mostly meaningless. I would be far more up for the idea if there was a Mountune-esque factory approved tune (having done enough damage in a Subaru to not want to go through that again...)
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Has anyone tried asking their local "GTI World" VW main dealer for advise on this, I'd think that ABT and AMD are as close to "VW tolerated" tuners as it gets in UK?
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

RUM4MO wrote:Has anyone tried asking their local "GTI World" VW main dealer for advise on this, I'd think that ABT and AMD are as close to "VW tolerated" tuners as it gets in UK?
Racingline are VW’s mountune, they do remaps, but their part range is generally just rebranded stuff like Eibach springs, and Milltek exhausts. Think they’re fine for warranty though as they’re seen as an authorised performance part

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

Says their OEM+ is in beta testing... promising though
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

No such thing in the UK, any remap will invalidate the VW warranty.

Some dealers did once upon a time (and may still do) sell Revo maps, but they werent affiliated with VW....I think the garages likely offered some limited warranty or would cloak and dagger make sure warranty issues would get addressed...or maybe there was a disclaimer. Some of this was before the days of the dredded TD1 flag.
MczZippy
Getting There!
Drives: Polo GTI 6C - Flash Red

Post by MczZippy »

the TD1 flag is what im trying to avoid...... i cant seem to find anywhere if the "tuning boxes" activate this flag or not?
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

This OEM+ mapping states that it can be totally reversed back to stock...
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

Tuning box wont raise the flag as is doesnt physically change anything on the ECU programming on the car, only intercepts and manipulates signals to increase fuel rail pressure, boost pressure, camshaft phase and some will influence AFR too.

Theres often the view that boxes are 2nd rate compared to a map....Id agree in certain respects they probably are over a great quality map but there are some v good boxes out there now that compete with alot of maps without the risk of TD1. To be fair you ask anything more of a car over standard whether it be by box or map and things will wear quicker...just how it is of course.

Only risk you have really is if you ask too much of the car with settings on the box and get the car to throw a related code...too much of that could be picked up by a tech that knew their salts but in normal circumstances a box shouldnt cause error codes (its all about being sensible). So long as you are sensible and take the box off before the car goes in for any warranty or servicing work the dealers will be none the wiser.

The DTUK FSR+ box gets good reviews and high quoted power figures but I dont much like how it needs its own 12v power supply off the battery.

The Burger Motorsports JB1 and JB4's offer similar gains and take more feeds from the car (JB1 influence fuel, boost and cam position; JB4 can access CANBus via ODB and also AFR from a tap on the O2 sensor).....get tremendous reviews...Ive sampled a JB1 on a Polo 6C GTI running 4.8psi extra boost and it was fantastic....took the car from being quick to getting on for stock Mk7 Golf R quick on the move.....c. 240-250hp and 300lb/ft just completely transform the car....youre then looking at a power to weight in the region of 200hp/ton.

With a box you get what you pay for...the JB1 and JB4's arent cheap but they are amazing for the gains they produce.

The JB4 is that bit better still but does require wires to be run through the firewall and the O2 sensor to be tapped....personally the JB1 is all the car would ever need. That said you can run a JB4 with an IS20 turbo (that is supported) and have a 300+hp car with just a box and turbo change.
marky9074
Getting There!

Post by marky9074 »

I just stumbled across this when on a Q5 forum...

https://www.racechip.co.uk/shop/vw/polo ... 320nm.html

Seems to have a two year warranty too...

Edit: That said, it seems to be a two channel box, whilst the DTUK is four.