Rev Hanging ??

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Alan76
New
Drives: gti

Rev Hanging ??

Post by Alan76 »

Hi All,
Recently bought a black 15 reg manual Polo GTi after getting rid of my Fiesta ST. The harsh ride, constant rattling and clunking noises done my head in so the Fiesta had to go.Though the Fiesta was more fun to drive the Polo is a more grown up hot hatch and easier to live with. Really impressed with it overall and the quality is amazing for a small Car.
I have a question for other 6C manual GTi owners. When I put my foot down on the clutch i.e. to change gears the revs seem slow to drop and occasionally the revs would ever so slightly increase, maybe a hundred RPM, before it drops down. This is with my foot completely of the gas pedal. It seems to be more evident at low revs. This makes driving/changing gears at slow speeds really jerky. At first I thought it might just be something that I needed to get used to but then done some research on the net and found something called ‘rev hanging’. Just wondering if other GTi owners (or non Gti owners) experience this. I thought it might be my driving style but others have experienced this when driving my car. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks !
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Re: Rev Hanging ??

Post by pipsyp »

I have a 15 GTi manual too and cant say Ive really noticed this. I wouldnt say the revs drop very quickly when stepping off the clutch...particularly if its been revved out but certainly the revs dont increase..sounds a little odd.

They arent particularly smooth at low speeds when stepping on and off the gas and need a bit of technique to drive smoothly...figure the clutch has to be quite beefy to deal with all the torque and so its probably not so user friendly. I also find my gearbox/diff whines a little bit at low speeds too but then it always has.
Alan76
New

Post by Alan76 »

Thanks for the reply. The revs would maybe hang for about half a second before it drops and I wouldnt say it drops really slowly, Just slower than my golf. The Revs occasionally increase at low revs when depressing the clutch and it’s only ever so slightly so not really a problem. Was just wondering if it was a characteristic of the car. For peace of mind I might take it into the dealership before the warranty expires.
I also hear the whine noise at low speeds and agree trying to drive the car at slow speeds is difficult. Thought i was just a rubbish driver.
pipsyp
Getting There!

Post by pipsyp »

Yeah I suspect theres probably nought wrong with the car , but if its for peace of mind pop it in the steelers for a second opinion.
graeme
New
Drives: 2017 6C GTI, 3 door, Pure White

Post by graeme »

I know what you mean with the hanging when getting off the gas and onto the clutch, I reckon it's just how the car is.
Alan76
New

Post by Alan76 »

takes a bit of getting used to. I find that if I change gears quickly its more noticeable and not as smooth. So I have had to adapt to changing gears more slowly and getting on the gas a fraction later than normal.
pipsyp
Getting There!

Post by pipsyp »

Agreed its most noticable going 1st to 2nd I find...once on the move its fine.

Also to drive it smoothly (sedately) in the lower gears you cant rush the changes as you do get a bit of driveline shunt otherwise. That said its fine and doesnt do it if you rag it from standstill.

Again its just much the way the manual 6C's are I think....probably down to them needing a pretty beefy (i.e unforgiving) clutch assembly to deal with the high stock torque output. Interestingly the car also shares the same MQ350 gearbox as the Golf GTI/R probably in part for the same reasons.