GTI

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
CALGR91
New
Drives: I dont

GTI

Post by CALGR91 »

Hi all

I have been reading the forums for a while and have finally decided to join.

I am interested in purchasing a gti, but I'm unsure what is the better option. Is it better to buy an older model (11/12 plate) or newer (14/15 plate). Bearing in mind I have read that the older model seems to have had big issues with oil consumption and engines having to be replaced.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Re: GTI

Post by SRGTD »

Personally, I’d avoid the 6r GTI with the 1.4 twin charger engine and go for the later 6c GTI with the 1.8 turbo engine. The 6c Polo 1.8 GTI also gives you the option of a manual gearbox, whereas the earlier 6r Polo 1.4 GTI is DSG only.

Worth having a read of the thread below, and the links posted in the thread which highlight many of the issues asociated with the 1.4 twin charger engine;

viewtopic.php?f=56&t=69368
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

For sure 6C beats 6R but then so does the cost. The 6Cs are becoming more affordable but they demand a hefty premium over a 6C. Depends what the budget is.

I had a Fabia vRS estate a few years ago and it was great...but admittedly I had it from new and sold it at 18 months old so never experienced the oil burning issues....mine was thrashed from new and didnt use oil like most. The Twincharger engine is great in isolation...arguably a bit more characterful (if less effective) than the EA888 in the 6C but just you never really know if you are buying a gooden or a lemon.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

I had the twin charger engine in a scirocco that I owned from new for 4 years and 60k miles that never used oil and had stage 1 tuning. Just lucky I guess although burning oil never seemed a problem on the scirocco forum - just pistons on early ones!!
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

If you can find the extra for the 6c personally I think its worth it. I'm no expert on the differences in equipment and material used compared to the r, but believe it would be worth it for that alone.

When you then compare the 2 engines and the driving experience they deliver, I think the case for the c becomes compelling even if you get lucky and get an r without oil consumption problems. As said by someone else, you have a manual option with a lot more torque than you get in the DSG in either the r or the c. I know there are a lot of r owners out there who love their car, but having been in an r ( only for a 30 min test drive to be fair ) and as the owner of a c, in my opinion the performance difference in the real world between the 2 is much greater than the official 0.5 second to 60 suggests as the mid range in the c is far much better.

Which every you choose I don't think you will be disappointed as the Polo GTI is one of motoring's best kept performance secrets and that's coming from someone who has been lucky enough to own a number of performance cars
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Post by pipsyp »

Yeah the 6C is worth the stretch as unarguably its the better car of the two. VW made quite a bit of effort with the C to ensure it was better received than the R...the engine and standard manual transmission are what ensured that.

There is a place in my heart for the 180hp twincharger, but the EA888 Gen 3 knocks it out of the park.

But when you can likely pick up a decent 6R for 6/7k....even an early basic spec 6C will still fetch 11.5/12k so they are alot more expensive. In certain respects a 6R represents better value as its certainly not half the car of the C.