Polo 6c gti retrofit parking sensors

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
polo_gti_baz
New
Drives: polo gti 6c

Polo 6c gti retrofit parking sensors

Post by polo_gti_baz »

Hi , I Just got a polo 6c gti and would like to add rear parking sensors not looking to purchase a aftermarket kit would
like to use genuine Volkswagen parts has anyone done the retrofit any guides and what part numbers would I need ?

Thanks
pipsyp
Getting There!
Drives: Pure White 6C GTi 3 door manual

Re: Polo 6c gti retrofit parking sensors

Post by pipsyp »

Its possible but not going to be cheap to do.

You need the official sensors, buzzer, wiring loom, PDC controller (and associated wiring - believe the controller likely has to be wired into the cars BCM) then the requisite coding to enable the optical parking system on the infotainment. Also you would ideally need the sensor hole punch tool, to make the OEM quality holes in the bumpers. I understand on cars without sensors the location markings for the sensors are marked on the rear of the bumper skin so its easy to punch them out as per the OE locations. I suspect this is done at the factory too, save VAG having to produce specific bumpers for sensor equipped cars.

Unless you are handy at this sort of thing and have access to a geniune VCDS cable and software its best leaving it to an expert retrofitter of which there are a number around.

The kit you need is commercially available from the likes of advanced-incar.co.uk and costs £299. You are probably looking at maybe £150/200 to fit as its not a 5 min job.

Oemretrofits.co.uk will do it for c. £450 with all VAG parts looking at their website. If you want fronts too £750.

Alot of money but agreed the best way to add sensors to one of these if you are going to bother.

The alternative is to consider having a rear view camera retrofitted instead. Whereas the 6C comes with a bumper mounted camera from the factory...retrofitters tend to fit the boot release motorised flip version ala Golf on these which is a nice touch. Something to consider anyway.
polo_gti_baz
New

Post by polo_gti_baz »

Thank you for all the information pipsyp.

Looks like a expensive retrofit may look into the reverse camera less wiring and parts required.
polo_gti_baz
New

Post by polo_gti_baz »

Had a quote from advanced-incar.co.uk and costs £299 fitting was extra at £150 workshop or £200 for mobile fitting.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

SEAT sell a Vodaphone branded kit - Cobra who supplied the previous aftermarket retro fit kits to SEAT for selling through their dealerships, were taken over by Cobra, so maybe have a look on the Vodaphone website, not here that the latest versions of these kits have sensors that look completely as factory fit.

So, I'd guess that VW also sell these kits as dealer supplied aftermarket kits.

I don't know any more than that as my wife's 2015 SEL Polo came with front and rear parking with OPS, in Audi land, you can only activate OPS if you have or fit front and rear sensors. I retro fitted front sensors to my 2011 Audi S4 which came with just rear sensors, that cost quite a lot to retro fit using as much VW Group parts as per factory - and that was with me doing all the fitting, cutting holes in a perfect bumper is fun - I bought a kit for punching/cutting so that I also had the correct aligning and bonding pieces for the bumper mounted brackets - note the SEAT aftermarket kit does come with its own self adhesive mounting brackets, but these kits were not made to integrate into the MFD so no chance of getting OPS but maybe that does that bother you, I lived for a few years without that, only a beeper in my S4 before retro fitting the front sensors etc.

Edit:- one thing, these dealer fit rear parking sensor kits are designed to be able to be fitted with the minimum of labour time, I'd guess everything is accessed from the boot area.
polo_gti_baz
New

Post by polo_gti_baz »

Decided to buy a retrofit parking sensor kit for the rears.

Where is the best place to connect to the high and low can ? behind instrument cluster or bcm ? Any diagram would be great

Also need a ignition live , would like to use the cars fuse box for this to keep oem look wheres the best connection ?

Thank you
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

if possible, always go for OEM solution.
CAN powertrain, probably at steering angle sensor, in the indicator stalk wiring loom.
polo_gti_baz
New

Post by polo_gti_baz »

Does anyone know where the can hi - low connections
are on a polo 6c gti

I have looked behind instruments and around steering wheel top cowling but no luck

Looks like the 6R is wired black/orange and brown/orange
6c seems different colours or location

Really need some advice thank you