VCDS clone - file .rod not found with almost all versions

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Jay-Jay
Silver Member
Drives: Polo 6R HL 1.2TSI 77kw, Audi S1 MY2018

VCDS clone - file .rod not found with almost all versions

Post by Jay-Jay »

Hi all.
I've always searched for an answer to this question: with no success. So I decided to post it on here.

I have a 6R 1.2 TSI 77kw MY2010.
I tried many VCDS clone cables (11.11.0, 12.12.0, 12.12.2, 12.12.3, 14.0.x, 15.7.1, 16.8.4, 17.1.3): with almost all of them I cannot access the Engine Control Module, because VCDS doesn't have the .rod file.

I discovered that only 11.11.0 and 15.7.1 versions have this file and can access the Engine module of my Polo.

One of my friends owns a 6R 1.2 MPI MY2014 and has a similar problem. All of the versions I tried can't enter in the Engine module of his Polo (like mine), plus they also can't enter in the ABS Module: the reason is always that the specific .rod files are missing.
In its case, the only version that works perfectly is 15.7.1.

It seems that this specific problem is related only to Engine Control Module of Polo 6R with 1.2 TSI and 1.6 TDI and ABS Control Module (Bosch 9.0i).

How it's possible that an older version has more file .rod than a newer one?
I understand that I'm talking about clone cables, but shouldn't they be "clones" of the original?

With all of the versions without the necessary .rod files, it is possible to enter into the desired modules ONLY on the first time I run VCDS. All of the next times I run the program and I try to access the same module, the file .rod is missing. I'd be obligated to uninstall and install again the program to access the module again.
This is so strange.

I really want to understand the reason of this. Especially because, if my old version cable suddenly stops working (and it has just happened), I'd be obligated to buy an old version, which is becoming always more rare.

(I know that there won't be problems like these, id I'd buy the original cable, but it's too expensive for my possibilities)

Last edited by Jay-Jay on Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 6 times in total.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: VCDS clone - file .rod not found with almost all versions

Post by iichel »

Pay peanuts, get monkeys... :oops:
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

iichel wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:47 pm Pay peanuts, get monkeys... :oops:
I tend to agree. The clone cables are often more trouble than good and all they do is push the price up of the genuine VCDS cable. You cannot beat a genuine cable, free updates for life, guaranteed to be compatible.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Guys, I know that an original cable would solve my problem. I've already written it by myself.
But can you answer to my question, please? :)
benzinkopf
Gold Member
Drives: 1.2TSI 105HP DSG7

Post by benzinkopf »

the problem with your question is making the genuine stuffs even more expensive. who in this world will support that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

It seems like by opening this topic I've become the cause of the (high) price of the original RossTech cable.
Mh, it makes sense...

Did you even read my question?
Or are you more focused on the fact that I'm talking about a clone cable/software?

If I'd have the money, I'd immediately buy the original cable: I think it's pretty clear!
I even proposed to all my friends who have a VW if they wanted to buy the original cable as a group, but I can't find anyone who is so interested like myself (the same with Netflix... stupid people).

I'm not asking for support.
I perfectly know the support is only for those who bought the original cable and there is another forum for that.

I'm asking: why a newer version of a software has less .rod files than an older one?
What do you think?
Why only few versions of VCDS can access the Engine module of my Polo?
Could it be because it's a clone software (so it's not really the same of the original)?
Or could it be because of the chip of the clone cable that can't communicate correctly with car's modules?

So, it's a software or hardware problem? Or both?

I'm not asking HOW TO FIX this. I want to understand WHY it's like this.

Answering "clone cables only make problems, etc." doesn't make any sense to me. We are not in a pub in front of a beer.

I'm asking for a technical answer.

Thank you.
benzinkopf
Gold Member

Post by benzinkopf »

my dear friend.
as far as genuine cable is concerned, all modules are accessible regardless of software versions

there is one genuine product. and there re many clones(read: from various cloners/ppl who want to duplicates the genuine product).

so technically the performance of those clones cant be compared as there are made by many. who knows really. unless u want to buy the clone products more than once from various suppliers.

I dont think theres eventually one technical answer. And I’m sure all of us here is simply making a final point that getting the genuine cable is the best you can do. rather than talking lots of lots on technicals which in the end pointing to the same answer.

iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I believe the .rod file identifies the module based on its partnumber, software and hardware version in relation to the platform. It holds the key to decipher the dtcs adaptation channels and coding labels.

Maybe your ECU had a recent update in its software and is not recognized anymore.

I have had a missing rod file or asam data many times with a new module on my polo or i.e. the acc and kessy modules that don't belong on the polo. My solution was to mail to Ross tech and they provided me with the new rod file.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Thank you for your answer! :)

In reality, no modules have been updated on my Polo in the last 4 years.

My guess is that these clone cables work with a clone software which is not an exact copy of the original. It could be possible that these clone softwares show they are a new version (16.8.4 or 17.1.3, for example), but in reality they are an older version (with old labels and .rod files) with the version number changed.

I remember that some years ago I tried a clone 12.12.2 version: it wasn't able to access my ECU.
Then I tried an original cable 12.12.2 and it was working perfectly.
I niticed that in the "homepage", in the up-right corner, the clone version was showing a lower number of codes in database than on the original one.

Inviato dal mio MHA-L09

RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

iichel wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:04 pm snip snip -------
I have had a missing rod file or asam data many times with a new module on my polo or i.e. the acc and kessy modules that don't belong on the polo. My solution was to mail to Ross tech and they provided me with the new rod file.
As above, time moves on and RossTech send out updates - no one is going to help a scammer, or a mug who have knowingly bought from a scammer.

There is normally a general understanding on all these VW Group cars owners/users forums, that anyone that starts asking for help to solve issues connected with buying ripped-off VCDS stuff is is shunned/disowned etc, I'd think that you should remember that keep quiet about your problem!
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

The fact is: I'm NOT asking for help to solve issues with my (dead) clone VCDS cable!

Are you guys able to read carefully what is written in this topic?
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Jay, I think what RUM is saying is that as you are using clone cables the software has been modified to work with that specific cable therefore even by replacing the missing rod file as iichel was mentioning, it still won’t work as it’ll throw the checksum that it’s expecting to see

The point we are all making is if you’ve tried that many different version of VCDS with clone cables, then surely you aren’t actually that far off the actual purchase cost of the genuine article. We by no means are saying don’t buy them, but more so if it’s a copy, you can’t expect it to work properly.
Jay-Jay
Silver Member

Post by Jay-Jay »

Well, that's what I call "process to intent"!
You all are jumping to some conclusions just by the fact I am talking about clone cables/software!

For your knowledge: all the clone cables I tried were not mine!
I tried them from many sellers I met at car's events around Italy.
When I found the only two versions that work with my car, I bought only 1 clone cable.
If I would have been able to afford all those clone cables, I would have already bought the original one, for sure!
But all these infos aren't related to the object of this topic!

At this point, reached the conclusion that clone software l could not be the exact copy of the original, I think this topic can be closed, since I don't believe I'll receive any other useful answer.

Thank you.
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

alexperkins wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:01 am Jay, I think what RUM is saying is that as you are using clone cables the software has been modified to work with that specific cable therefore even by replacing the missing rod file as ciclo was mentioning, it still won’t work as it’ll throw the checksum that it’s expecting to see

... :idea:

Play Image

Good morning everyone.

Michel :arrow: V Image
benzinkopf
Gold Member

Post by benzinkopf »

hahaha