Creaking on rear suspension.

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
mellos
New
Drives: polo 6c

Creaking on rear suspension.

Post by mellos »

Good day
I am new to the forum and I am looking forward to learning from you VW gurus.
I have a 2011 POLO 6C comfortline which has this annoying creaking coming from
the rear of the car.I read previous posts on this forum about this creaking noise
but no one seems to have been successful in eliminating this annoying creaking.
Is there anyone out there that has been successful in sorting this problem out
please enlighten us,I am sure I can say US because I know I am not the only one
wanting this sorted out.
Thanks for the great forum.
Waiting patiently so I can put this problem to bed.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Creaking on rear suspension.

Post by iichel »

First guess, shocks
mellos
New

Post by mellos »

Thanks for the reply.
I replaced the left rear shock because it was leaking and removed the right
shock and pushed it in and out and it does not make a noise at all.
Is it possible that it will make a noise on the car and when it is off it can be quiet?
My gut feeling tells me to just replace the right rear shock and see from there.
By the way it does not make the creaking sound when pushing the car down it only makes the
noise when driving slowly in my yard,it does not make the noise all the time.
This seems to be a common problem on these polo 6c models.
I read somewhere in this forum that a guy had this problem with his polo 6r gti 2014 model.
Has VW not figured out what or where have they gone wrong?
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

I had this problem on my 6c GTI when it had covered just a few hundred miles. The car spent a week with the dealers who diagnosed "slipped" rear bump stops. The change these including the rear top mounts and 5000 miles and 9 months later all seems well.

Hope this helps
mellos
New

Post by mellos »

Thanks for the response.
Excuse my ignorance but don't bump stops just clip into a plastic dust cover and basically fit around the shaft of the shock,so how would they slip?It could be the top shock mounts has anyone else on the forum also replaced their shock mounts and had their problem solved?Thanks again.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes I would agree with you about that!

I have not had this problem, but I thought that it was the top of the springs and how they are located in the top rubber mounting, I seem to remember reading that that was the problem some one/people were reporting as the root cause being offered by the garage and the remedy was "re-seat spring in top mounting" .

Edit:- by the way, just a small point, but important if you are discussing some other areas of the car, as a 2011 car, your car will be the original build type 6R and not the facelifted version which gets called the 6C while still being basically a 6R.
mellos
New

Post by mellos »

Thanks once again for the feedback.
I will try and reseat the spring as suggested while I am in the process of replacing the shock and see if the creaking goes away.On the topic of 6c and 6r what would the difference be between them anyways?

Cheers.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

The think that this has been covered elsewhere in this section of this forum, but, the main changes were some of the engines, the "electrical package" - which included a bigger MFD with more or enhanced options and slight changes to the bumper(s) and some wheels I'd reckon. Either way, any new types/versions of parts fitted after the change from 6R to 6C would have part numbers that started 6C0 instead of 6R0 .
mellos
New

Post by mellos »

Changed the shock absorber and shock mounting but noise is still there.
I jacked the car up and made a shocking discovery,the creaking is coming from
the rear cross member on the rear suspension.
There is no visible damage to it so how is it possible for the noise to be coming
from there,no cracks nothing.Any one experience this?
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Could be the bushes on the rear cross member. Had creaking on a previous car that I cured with waxoil!
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Now that is bad if it is the rubber bushes that the rear assembly rotates on, I've never ever heard about complaints about they causing noises at all, not even back to the early 9N Polos from 2002! So, I suppose that there is a tool available to press these bushes out and pull new ones in.

Edit:- just one thing, does your car have LED or HID headlights, if so, there will be a "height" sensor somewhere on that rear beam area, my old Passat had HID and only when jacking it up did it make a serious creaking noise from the front, it was a seizing "height" sensor, I replaced the front sensor and that stopped that noise during jacking the car up.
mellos
New

Post by mellos »

No it does not have LED or HID headlights,I suppose I am going to have to
replace those bushes as it is possible the noise is travelling through the rear
beam from the bushes.I have not looked to see if there is a height adjust
sensor on there but is it really possible for a creaking noise to come from that sensor
failing?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

I'd think that your car would only have front and rear ride height sensors if you had headlights that needed to get "tamed" so as not to cause dazzle to on coming traffic if the rear of the car was loaded down.

Do/can height sensors make a noise - well I had never considered this as being a possibility until I got a bit concerned about the serious and nasty creaking noises coming from the front of my old Passat while jacking it up, disconnected the sensor linkage, noise went away, tried to move the linkage of that sensor while one end was off the car - not possible, it was seized, but it did manage to operate/move when connected back up - I thought that it would just have snapped in two. I bought and fitted a new sensor and that sorted that out!
mellos
New

Post by mellos »

If it is the bushes that are the culprit then wouldn't the noise get a bit softer
if I manage to lubricate the bushes,what can you recommend I use on them
to lubricate them,also bearing in mind that I am in South Africa.
I have heard someone talking about red rubber grease,will it be possible to lubricate
them with this rubber grease while still in place or will it have to be stripped off?
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

Red rubber grease is a vegetable oil based lubricant so does not harm rubber and can be used for lubrication and preservation. I should try applying it to the ends of the bearings to start with - may work as most greases creep a bit. If you eventually have to replace them then go for poly type bearings.