1.4 idle noise

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

1.4 idle noise

Post by gaza1994 »

Hi guys,
Any ideas as to what the loud "ticking" noise is?

It has always "ticked" from the day i bought it (February) but it seems to be louder than it was back then!

Car is still under warranty (rac platinum warranty thing) so I'm hoping if it is an issue it can be covered under that!

Car starts and drives fine since day 1 so it's not affecting anything (atleast from what I know anyway)

People think I've got a diesel its that bad 😂

Worth adding: the noise doesn't change after the engine is warm and i can't really say it's noticeable when revving it! It's only at idle it's noisy! And it's done around 43k (ish)

Thanks guys
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: 1.4 idle noise

Post by RUM4MO »

Lots of people asking that question about these 1.4 16V 7>86PS petrol engines, I'd say that that is normal, sorry!

Similar question, without video in the 9N3 section, plus there was another video posted in either this forum or the seatcupra.net forum, Ibiza 6J section.

Edit:- it was on this forum, further down the page on this section.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

I've the same engine and mine's the same, 4 years and 32k later hasn't skipped a beat. Just the natural noise of the engine, should hear the mk5 ea118 engine it sounds like a sewing machine.

But as always if it's under warranty and you're worried take it in, it's free!
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Post by gaza1994 »

Thanks for your replies folks! Think I'll just leave it be! If they're naturally noisy that's fine, doesn't bother me, atleast i now know what to say to people when they ask why it sounds like a diesel 😂
Monkfish86
New
Drives: Polo 1.4 SEL 2010

Post by Monkfish86 »

Hi Gaza,
I have just purchased a 2010 polo 1.4 SEL 6R and it sounds exactly the same as yours. Sorry I know this post is pretty old but did you ever find out what it was? Did it ever cause you any issues or did you come up with a fix? By listening to the video it could literally be the same car. Any advice/info would be great.

Cheers,

Harry.