Polo 6r 2010 heater position problem

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
sumon94
New
Drives: Polo 6r

Polo 6r 2010 heater position problem

Post by sumon94 »

I have a vw polo 2010 1.2.

Heater is working fine bot hot and cold heat works and all heat setting work but i cant change the direction. It seems like its stuck on heat towards my face but wont move to any other locations when i change the direction of the heat.

Ive also realised that when the heat setting goes to the window, the ac turns on and turns off after when changing to somewhere else.

It would be nice to know whats wrong so i can get it sorted and winter is fast approaching

Thanks
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo 6r 2010 heater position problem

Post by RUM4MO »

The window setting is a demist function, so that works more efficiently if the AC compressor (chiller) is on to strip the moisture out of the air.

Are you sure that there is no hot/cold air coming out of the foot area, I think that, well my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, is easily the worst car that I driven as regards the air being delivered to the foot area of the car - you might find similar comments elsewhere on this website, if not plenty on the Skoda Fabia website in the area for the Fabia that is the Skoda equivalent to this Polo, probably the Ibiza guys will also be having a moan on the SEAT Ibiza equivalent user's website. Her car has auto AC but I don't think that that changes much, if the ducting for the cabin air is wrong, then there is not much can be done to fix this, maybe it is only a RHD car issue?

Edit:- of course if your car has manual AC then maybe it is another, but fixable issue.
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

If its manual AC, does the position dial feel loose or does it have resistance when you turn it?
sumon94
New

Post by sumon94 »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:34 pm The window setting is a demist function, so that works more efficiently if the AC compressor (chiller) is on to strip the moisture out of the air.

Are you sure that there is no hot/cold air coming out of the foot area, I think that, well my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, is easily the worst car that I driven as regards the air being delivered to the foot area of the car - you might find similar comments elsewhere on this website, if not plenty on the Skoda Fabia website in the area for the Fabia that is the Skoda equivalent to this Polo, probably the Ibiza guys will also be having a moan on the SEAT Ibiza equivalent user's website. Her car has auto AC but I don't think that that changes much, if the ducting for the cabin air is wrong, then there is not much can be done to fix this, maybe it is only a RHD car issue?

Edit:- of course if your car has manual AC then maybe it is another, but fixable issue.
hot and cold heat comes out, the heat settings work perfectly, just cant control where the heat is directed.
sumon94
New

Post by sumon94 »

alexperkins wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 pm If its manual AC, does the position dial feel loose or does it have resistance when you turn it?
i dont seem to feel any resistance
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

sumon94 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:15 pm
RUM4MO wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:34 pm The window setting is a demist function, so that works more efficiently if the AC compressor (chiller) is on to strip the moisture out of the air.

hot and cold heat comes out, the heat settings work perfectly, just cant control where the heat is directed.
Yes, I got that bit, but I think what you are finding is that you can't get the expected flow of hot/cold air out and heading for the "foot" area.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

sumon94 wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:18 pm
alexperkins wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:10 pm If its manual AC, does the position dial feel loose or does it have resistance when you turn it?
i dont seem to feel any resistance
Well maybe you have found where the problem is, ie that knob is not connected to anything or not well enough.
PeterWestSussex
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI 110 SEL DSG in white, 2015

Post by PeterWestSussex »

RUM4MO wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 pm ... my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, is easily the worst car that I driven as regards the air being delivered to the foot area of the car -

Yes, I got that bit, but I think what you are finding is that you can't get the expected flow of hot/cold air out and heading for the "foot" area.
Yes! I had sensed that the air to the footwell on my Polo SEL 1.2 TSI 110PS (which otherwise (so far) has been totally satisfactory- as far as that's possible on any car!) was not heating up very quickly and worse that the heated air seemed to be coming up into the car rather than the footwell, I had a look into this last evening.

The reason is pretty obvious! The air outlet vents for the foot wells on each side are as far forward (into the cabin) under the dash as they can be - rather than at the back of the footwell (nearest the engine.) Without further investigation to see if it's even feasible (and visually acceptable) one solution might be to 'hang' a deflector panel each side under the dash using a suitable piece of plastic card/sheet and duct tape all round on 3 sides so the heated air get sent forward towards the engine before it emerges into the footwell.
sumon94
New

Post by sumon94 »

Right i have checked all the heater components sensors and resistor but all seems to be good. a few people went that i took find out what it is with the diagnostics tool but found nothing.

i am open for ideas still

Thanks
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

PeterWestSussex wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:51 am
RUM4MO wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:01 pm ... my wife's August 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS, is easily the worst car that I driven as regards the air being delivered to the foot area of the car -

Yes! I had sensed that the air to the footwell on my Polo SEL 1.2 TSI 110PS (which otherwise (so far) has been totally satisfactory- as far as that's possible on any car!) was not heating up very quickly and worse that the heated air seemed to be coming up into the car rather than the footwell, I had a look into this last evening.

The reason is pretty obvious! The air outlet vents for the foot wells on each side are as far forward (into the cabin) under the dash as they can be - rather than at the back of the footwell (nearest the engine.) Without further investigation to see if it's even feasible (and visually acceptable) one solution might be to 'hang' a deflector panel each side under the dash using a suitable piece of plastic card/sheet and duct tape all round on 3 sides so the heated air get sent forward towards the engine before it emerges into the footwell.
I must admit that I keep forgetting to put any effort into looking into this, so thanks for that info, it does seem crazy that in my wife's, with all the centre vents closed and the air only directed to the footwell, that even with the temperature set at 26C, it takes 20 miles of steady driving to end up with hot feet, and that was with an ambient temperature of 10C, I'd still question if enough air is being moved out into the cabin from these footwell outlets even if the outlets are too far forward. I have an anemometer somewhere, it would be interesting to check the 2015 Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL against my daughter's late 2009 Ibiza 1.4 85PS SC - I wonder if the air exits at the rear are okay, if they were not able to be blown open then that would limit the ability of the fan to pull air into the car.