Polo GTI - Squeaking Brakes Recall

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
EDI GTI
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI 6C

Polo GTI - Squeaking Brakes Recall

Post by EDI GTI »

Hello,

Since getting my Polo GTI from brand new my brakes have always squeaked when light breaking.

I have been complaining about this to my dealer for quite a while, so when it went in for its service in September they decided to finally have a look.

They blamed the squeaking on corrosion on the brake discs, but seeing as they have been squeaking since new that was debunked quite quickly. The garage did pay to strip and clean them but this never fixed the issue (as expected).

After the service I continued to complain and eventually (after a few calls with the sales manager) got informed of a 'Non-Mandatory Recall'. Simply put I was told that VW know there is an issue with GTI brakes squeaking so have put out a recall to replace the brake shoes and pads, but seeing as its not threatening it isn't mandatory for them to do so.

Finally Eastern Western took the car back and replaced the parts as detailed in the recall - but for me personally, this still hasn't worked (fully). The brakes no longer seem to squeak when going forward - but still squeak when in reverse.

I have a test drive booked in with the Used Sales manager next week to let him hear the squeaking so that we can see where to go next - I will be able to update you then on what they think the cause is.

This was basically to ask;
1. Has anyone else with a GTI experienced this squeaking and managed to solve it? If I have some 'ideas' I might be able to help point them in that direction.
2. If you have a GTI and your brakes are squeaking - you can go in and (with enough complaining) get your car taken in as part of the recall to get new brake shoes and pads.
Last edited by EDI GTI on Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo GTI - Squeaking Breaks Recall

Post by RUM4MO »

Just one question, remember it is brakes not breaks, does the noise when reversing only come from the rear brakes, also no shoes in these cars just pads.
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

i think every single 6c gti has had this.

most of the time is goes on it's own.

if you can get a new set of pads and discs off vw for free then i'd take them up on it.
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

The brakes on my March 2016 GTI squealed during the first few weeks of ownership under light braking, but after that initial period they stopped doing it and haven’t done it since.
EDI GTI
New
Drives: 2016 Polo GTI 6C

Re: Polo GTI - Squeaking Brakes Recall

Post by EDI GTI »

RUM4MO wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:40 pm Just one question, remember it is brakes not breaks, does the noise when reversing only come from the rear brakes, also no shoes in these cars just pads.
Thanks can't believe I spelt that wrong about 50x lol. It does sound like its only from the rear, and I thought that myself but the sales manager is adamant they replaced 'the brake shoes' - worrying.

I was hoping that eventually it would go away but for mine it never, after getting the pads replaced on the recall I was told there was another 200 mile bedding in period - but after that the squeaking was (and is) still there.
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Polo GTI - Squeaking Brakes Recall

Post by RUM4MO »

Ha Ha, I like many other people always notice other people's mistakes - but never my own!!

Squeaking rear brakes, as soon as I took delivery of my wife's Polo 1.2TSI 110PS SEL back in August 2015, I fitted additional external handbrake lever return springs, I don't think that that is needed with these current rear callipers with built in handbrakes, but I was not taking any chances based on my previous experience of Polos - so far so good!

Edit:- I remember when I bought a new 2000 Passat 2.8V6 4Motion, after driving for the first time long distance on heavily salted roads and finding that the initial brake bit had vanished, never a good feeling, VW told me to always prepare for braking and so keep the braking surfaces clear and dry? Next suggestion was "buy a set of the latest improved pads from Audi to minimise that happening again - goodbye!" a very helpful suggestion, they just would not discuss any of this in writing, only by phone call. Your issue is annoying, mine was down right dangerous, Audi had addressed this issue but VW just waited until the B5 platform was updated to B5.5 and ignored all the cars on the road with that issue. It was a letter in Auto Express from an Audi A4 B5 using in Dundee that made me see that I was not alone - VW were and still are a messy lazy crowd of clowns.