Please help a new owner

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

Please help a new owner

Post by Polonut »

Hi everyone.
I'm New to this forum, so please stay with me if I ask some questions that may seem to come from a 'thicko'.
I have just bought a year old polo match, and need some help 're cd and navigation.
As I have a full detailed readout of fuel data- I checked and found that the previous owner had left the data plug in situ - I am ok with that.

However, I do not have a working cd or sat nav. As I understand it, this requires a 'volkswagen sd card' to make it all happen.
If I purchase this item, do i permanently leave this' volkswagen sd card 'in the CD 'sd' slot?
My radio does not have button marked 'Nav' as some show in illustrations.
I assume that when data is downloaded - access to these will be through a menu?

I assume that a vw 2016 polo match does in fact have sat nav, despite the absense of 'nav' button.

Thanks in advance for your help
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Please help a new owner

Post by RUM4MO »

I would guess if your MMI/MFD does not have any mention of Sat Nav, then your car does not have it, I'm saying that from someone that did not spec a car to have Sat Nav.

"Data plug in situ" - will that not just be music on an SD card?
Polonut
New

Post by Polonut »

Thanks for your response
To clarify - the data plug mentioned is NOT an SD card but the larger (white) push in unit that goes into a slot under the dash on the drivers side. It came in a VW box
that is marked with a bt pin number.
The Volkswagen SD card has (as I understand it,) an entirely different role to play.
benzinkopf
Gold Member
Drives: 1.2TSI 105HP DSG7

Post by benzinkopf »

maybe some photos will help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Polonut; it sounds as if you have the standard Composition media unit in your car, which was the standard offering for all 6c Polo models, other than the Polo S which had the Composition Colour unit. I’m pretty certain that the ‘Discover’ media unit which has sat nav wasn’t standard on any 6c Polo - it would have cost the previous owner around £700 to upgrade to the ‘Discover’ unit, so quite an expensive option. The Compostion media unit does have a single CD slot in the ‘brains’ of the unit in the glovebox, but this is for playing music CD’s and not for loading sat nav data.

The different media units in the 6c Polo can be seen in the model brochure at the link below - in ‘The Future of Infotainment is Here’ section. You should be able to tell from the button layout either side of the screen in the pictures (and the description) which one you have;

https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/assets/com ... ochure.pdf

The data plug (Volkswagen Connect) is a relatively new thing for VW. I don’t have it, but understand it plugs into the OBD port and provides certain driving and vehicle data information via the VW Connect phone app.
Polonut
New

Post by Polonut »

Thank you so much SRGTD
you have understood my question, and provided all the answers that I needed.
My unit is the basic cooking one, therefore does not have Sat Nav facility - having established this point - all fell into place.

I guess that the "Genuine Volkswagen SD Card" in no way applies to my particular spec.
Thank you so much for your kind help
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

No problem; glad to have been of help.

Enjoy your new car.