Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
poloag
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo 1.2 TSI (CJZC) 2017 '66" plate

Buying Cat D

Post by poloag »

Hi,

First post!

I was looking at buying this Polo, it drives okay, but is a Cat D repaired, you can see that the gap between the bonnet and grill/badge/lights is a bit larger than normal.
Any idea if this is an easy fix?

How can I post some pics if it?

Great forum.

Thanks
poloag
Getting There!

Re: Buying Cat D

Post by poloag »

Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

It's a matter of pulling the panels off and putting them back on to get them to fit how you want, but note a lot of garages and dealerships can struggle with it and since it's know to have been in an accident the mountings etc can have been bent preventing the proper fit or wrong parts used causing this.
poloag
Getting There!

Post by poloag »

so roughly how much to put right?
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

poloag wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 pm so roughly how much to put right?
Couldn't say depends on what's causing it not to fit, could end up costly or could be cheap
Bevii3
New
Drives: Polo BlueGT

Post by Bevii3 »

id personally stay clear of a car thats been written off/repaired. ive recently been in an accident, 5k worth of damage on my car and it was repaired by insurance, ive had quite a few issues which i had to keep taking it back for after, unless you know what happened in accident and where all the damage was then I wouldnt touch it. Just my opinion though. had thoughts of even selling my car as I didnt trust it after the accident, but then again im more paranoid then others haha
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

Willni wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:40 pm
poloag wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2017 8:31 pm so roughly how much to put right?
Couldn't say depends on what's causing it not to fit, could end up costly or could be cheap
OP; you could ask a body shop to give you a best-case / worst-case idea of cost. As Willni has said, depending on the reason(s) for the misalignment, it might be a quick, cheap fix. Alternatively, if removing the panels reveal further panel straightening work is required to panels behind the front wings, headlights/grille/bumper and bonnet, any money you might save on buying a cat D car might need to be spent on further repairs.
Bevii3 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:12 pm id personally stay clear of a car thats been written off/repaired.
This would be my view too. Also bear in mind that when you eventually come to sell the car, some buyers may be put off, so you might find it difficult to sell. You also need to consider the insurance implications of insuring a car D car;

https://www.comparethemarket.com/car-in ... ory-d-car/
Stormtrooper1967
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match Edition 5 Door Pure White

Post by Stormtrooper1967 »

I'd walk away.

If they can't get the panel alignment right on the repair imagine what other corners may have been cut to get it back on the road.