Exhaust Needed

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
kyle92
New
Drives: 1.2 tdi 2011

Exhaust Needed

Post by kyle92 »

I posted a previous thread regarding my polo's MPG drop, after hearing a different note from the back of the car about 60mph i investigated tonight with the idea of either the wheel bearings, brakes or exhaust being culprits, Likely to little surprise all of the exhaust i could see was rusted to f*ck, the end can/cat was physically falling apart, the outpart of the can on the top is in the process of falling off.

I am struggling to find anything more than a end can/cat, everything else is 'race' system which aside from being a complete waste on this car for me is not what i need, i haven't checked out the downpipes yet but likely will need them unless they are stainless and not mild steel unlike the rest of the exhaust,

I am more than happy to get another standard system so if anyone is able to point me in the right direction for another system or a suitable replacement of a standard one is not available it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kyle
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Re: Exhaust Needed

Post by alexperkins »

What’s your reg? I’ll dig out some TPS prices for genuine
kyle92
New

Post by kyle92 »

FY11 PGK
Much appreciated
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

You do know that the back box is double skinned and so if the outer skin is got a hole in it the system will still be okay to use - or is the noise you are hearing a blown exhaust?
kyle92
New

Post by kyle92 »

I did not know that but i cannot see if it has went through both layers unless it has only worn on top of the box, either way there is still a noise and my wheel bearings are fine, drums dragging slightly but still easily turnable by hand so i am not worrying.

I probably should have said, i am more than happy to get an aftermarket system especially if it is stainless steel over oem mild, i just want to keep the fuel performance figures and i doubt those ebay 'race' systems are going to do that lol.
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

Ok, so this engine only has a rear silencer. The front downpipe is heavy grade steel so I wouldnt worry about that, and the inbetween is a straight through intermediate pipe, again heavy steel.

The rear silencer, part number being 6R6 253 609 AN, has a list price of £198 inc vat

This is a good aftermarket replacement - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Exhaust-Rear ... Sw03lY5ME-

They use Thyssen Krupp steel which is top quality. I have one made by the same manufacturer on my mk2 golf GTI and can vouch for the quality.
kyle92
New

Post by kyle92 »

Fantastic, methinks i will get the ebay one before the year is out and hopefully see an improvement.

Thank you very much for the help,
Kyle
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Post by Willni »

Just going to say the exhaust doesn’t actually effect mpg just emissions and noise.

You could just get an exhaust from a wrecked polo and paint it, I noticed mine starting to rust so just whacked some high temp paint on it after removing the rusty bits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

If the original exhaust was an optimal design any damage would have an effect upon mpg. Having said that I doubt if the stock system is that sophisticated so if there is an effect it is likely to be minimal.

I’ve never conducted any proper tests on car exhausts, subjectively I found that replacing the OE system on a small turbocharged 1400 cc hatchback with a Scorpion system made the car rev more smoothly and seemed to improve mpg figures.

I’ve had more documented experience with motor cycles. Two strokes are very sensitive, some after market boy racer systems reduce tractability and power output whilst increasing fuel consumption, I’ve seen figures in excess of 10% variation. Four strokes are not quite as fussy but I’ve seen expensive super sport systems that are widely but illegally used on the road totally screw up torque figures and, hence rideability, the carbon fibre cans look great and cost a lot of money but identify the owner as being an absolute twit with too much money to waste.

I’m not saying that All replacement systems are bad but unless you have documented and independently produced performance data be wary.
Gee40
Bronze Member
Drives: 2016 6c GTI (manual), 1982 Mk1Golf GTI

Post by Gee40 »

kyle92 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:10 pm I posted a previous thread regarding my polo's MPG drop, after hearing a different note from the back of the car about 60mph i investigated tonight with the idea of either the wheel bearings, brakes or exhaust being culprits, Likely to little surprise all of the exhaust i could see was rusted to f*ck, the end can/cat was physically falling apart, the outpart of the can on the top is in the process of falling off.

I am struggling to find anything more than a end can/cat, everything else is 'race' system which aside from being a complete waste on this car for me is not what i need, i haven't checked out the downpipes yet but likely will need them unless they are stainless and not mild steel unlike the rest of the exhaust,

I am more than happy to get another standard system so if anyone is able to point me in the right direction for another system or a suitable replacement of a standard one is not available it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Kyle
Although Ormskirk is almost certainly too far away for you, I used a firm called Pipewerx when I need an exhaust for my wife's Alfa 159. The car is a TI estate so none of the fast fit places could help as the number of 159 estates meant the demand wasn't big enough and Alfa wanted over £300 + Vat + Fitting just for a back box. I wasnt too keen to pay such a rediculous price especially bearing in mind the car was only 3 years old so the quality of Alfa OE exhausts was another concern.

When I called Pipewerx they quoted £375 all in for a full stanless system with a life time guarantee and will build your system to your requirements - I asked them to replicate the original system as the the car is a diesel and the wife didnt want her car sounding like a 1990s Corsa.

Having had it done I cant fault the service or the product. When I took the car in I was surprised to find out that Pipewerx is owned/ part owned by Ian Birch who used to own Dubsport and was well know in the VW tuning world. Although I'm certainly no expert on welding etc but when the car was in for an MOT at the local garage, the owner came over and asked where I had got the exhaust as he was so impressed with the quality of the welding he wanted to use them for an exhaust for his classic MGA.

Thought the above might be useful for other forum members who live in NW England
Ricmondo
Gold Member
Drives: Polo Blue GT

Post by Ricmondo »

Their fame has reached down to London and beyond. Their service and quality is known to be exceptional.
kyle92
New

Post by kyle92 »

Evening gents, i finally got around to buying the aftermarket exhaust from ebay, after i got the car up on the ramps and checked out the underside after the new exhaust had arrived i have unfortunately been left stumped.
The new exhaust has a join whereas from what i can see on the old exhaust, it is one long section down to the cat and there is no joining section in between.
Is there wrong exhaust installed already? am i somehow not seeing the joining section from the rust? did i buy the wrong exhaust? (i did double check again and it should fit my model).

I have attached some photos for reference.

Any help is once again appreciated.

alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

It comes as one section from the factory. It’ll need to be cut and sleeved together
kyle92
New

Post by kyle92 »

So much for an easy replacement lol, this is why i prefer bikes...none of this sleeving hassle just bolt on and bolt off! saying that euro car parts does the centre pipe as a stand alone, would i be as well getting that and save myself the hassle of messing about with the old one?
I will have a bash tomorrow and hopefully not f*ck it up too much, any advice on this job or know of anyone else who has had to do it that can give me the measurements for where to cut etc?
alexperkins
Site Admin

Post by alexperkins »

To cut it is easy. It’s mild steel. The new one should’ve come with a U clamp. Literally hold the exhaust in place underneath. The old pipe goes into the new silencer as you’ll see it has around a 2 inch flared section. Cut the downpipe so the exhaust goes into the flared section comfortably, then put the new silencer on over the pipe with some sealant (I suggest wire brushing the rust off too) and put the u clamp on and tighten down

You could replace the Down pipe too if you wanted too but that might be more work