Glowplug Warning light + Power Loss

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
LightSV
New
Drives: VW Polo 6R

Glowplug Warning light + Power Loss

Post by LightSV »

Hi There,

Just bought a 1.2 BlueMotion TDI 2011 Polo 6R and I'm having an odd issue. I'll be honest, I haven't done a VCDS scan yet, but here's what's going on:

Glowplug warning light is flashing... I know that could mean a load of things.
Lack of power past around 40 and just cannot get past 70mph without the help of a hill.

I should also note, this car never got the software update after the whole emissions thing.

Any Ideas on what it could be?

Really appreciate any help!

Sorry if I'm breaking any rules here.

- T
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

Re: Glowplug Warning light + Power Loss

Post by Polonut »

regrettably sounds like EGR / DPF issues - VCDS scan will confirm this. How long have you had the car? Did it come from a VW dealer? Was it issued with a warranty?
There are rare cases where the wiring loom has given problems.
Very often, just turning off the engine will return things to 'normal' but this is very short lived before the problem re-appears.
With the performance as you described, obviously the car is in limp mode so stay out of outside lanes until fixed!!

The software / emissions issue update is a separate matter to the above.
LightSV
New

Post by LightSV »

Ah no I was hoping it wouldn’t be that. It’s a pity cause from my experience EGRs have been pretty easy to change in other cars but in this particular Polo I believe it’s tucked behind the engine a bit.

Thanks for your reply. I’ll get it scanned tomorrow and see what comes up!

Cheers
LightSV
New

Post by LightSV »

Got the diagnostics today. Coming up with an underboost error in the turbocharger. P0299

It’s also coming up these errors in the engine:

Any idea what those mean?

Thanks
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

Leaky airhose from turbocharger?
LightSV
New

Post by LightSV »

Thanks iichel I've checked that now and it doesn't seem to be the problem.

I've had the car in the garage and the DPF cleaned out. Watched them do the whole thing and they didn't skip anything so I know that wen't okay.

But now i have the fault code P2002 basically meaning the DPF is low efficiency. I realise this is a temporary code but i've driven the car at high RPM for about 20 minutes and the code hasn't gone away.

The Code: P2002 - Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1

Any ideas for a cure? Just more driving?

I also don't seem to be able to get the car above 3000 RPM

Thanks for all the helps guys!
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

Post by Polonut »

Hi there LightSV

please clarify 'cant get over 3000rpm' - if you are stationary, there is a limiter that prevents over revving - the instant the car has movement this restriction is negated.

If you mean that whilst on the move you cannot get past 3000 rpm - then the problem has not been identified yet.

There is a mystery here as you say "but i've driven the car at HIGH RPM for about 20 minutes" - this is somewhat confusing, as you have also said you cannot go over 3000 RPM?
Please clarify
LightSV
New

Post by LightSV »

Sorry I should have clarified. I can get above 3000 RPM when moving, and not when i'm stationary. But clearly that's normal behaviour.

Any idea about the codes P2002 and under what conditions they'll clear after a DPF clean?

Cheers
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

This happened to a friend of mines. The engine was ultimately toast as it had an injector failure. It flooded the engine with diesel and damaged a piston due to extreme combustion

Had to have a new engine, DPF and cat under warranty
iichel

Post by iichel »

G450 particle filter differential pressure sensor is prone to failure on the 6R diesels. I'd replace it.
LightSV
New

Post by LightSV »

Hi Guys,

So things have moved forward quite a lot since i last posted:

- I've taken the car to a "garage" to get "fixed" and they told me that they soaked the DPF in a chemical bath overnight and then rinsed it out and reinstalled it in the car
- The car still went into limp mode after this, and has also consistently had the engine management light on
- I took the car to a garage i've known for a long while and they took one look at the car with a smoke machine and said that there was a leak in one of the hoses from the turbo, just as iichel suggested ages ago (I should have listened)... anyway I can now see the leek. I'm going to get that fixed tomorrow
- Whilst at my old garage, the guys showed me the weld across the back of the DPF, clearly not a factory weld. The weird thing is that it appears as though they've just removed a panel on the back of the DPF... and we both know that's pretty much the process you'd go through to chip out the filter inside the DPF.

Baring in mind, I bought this car about 2 weeks ago, then had to get a repair from the people i bought it from... so i really don't trust anything they've said

The question is though... why has the DPF been cut and welded like that... when the usual method for that pressure washer sort of clean is just to cut off the top and bottom of the DPF.

I've not got any first hand experience doing such repairs so I'm wondering would any mechanic ever decide to just chip out the filter instead of cleaning it?

On top of that, diagnostics is returning the following codes:

P2002 - Diesel Particulate Filter Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1
P0299 - Turbocharger/Supercharger "A" Underboost Condition
P0101 - Mass or Volume Air Flow "A" Circuit Range/Performance

Could these error codes be the result of an un-remaped ECU after removing the DPF filter?

Here's a picture of the back of the dpf... it should at least illustrate what i mean by the panel having been cut out and welded back in place.
https://puu.sh/yOTaq/1e084baf60.jpg
iichel

Post by iichel »

I'd go with a en empty DPF, adjustment of the software of the ECU and maybe a bad chiptuning.

Did you ask the first garage/mechanic whether the DPF filter element was still present?
It could be a simple repair rather than a DPF off. But it's hard to say.
I'd fix the hose, remove error codes, have a trip and see what happens.

Usually after cleaning out the DPF, it needs to be adjusted in the ECU parameters with a diagnostic tool. Has this been done?
LightSV
New

Post by LightSV »

By empty DPF you mean the DPF with the filter inside removed?

And the garage who cleaned the DPF originally are saying that they cut the side open, soaked it in the chemical and then put the side back on and did a DPF regen. Does this sound like a mechanic trying to fob me off? or a genuine procedure a garage might use to clean a DPF?

Anyways, i'll be getting the hose fixed tomorrow and I'll clear the error codes like you say and see if they come back.

Thanks iichel, really appreciate the help.
iichel

Post by iichel »

Ah okay, I missed the part of the first garage making the welds. Are you sure the first garage is responsible for this?
They could have just taken the DPF out from the car and filled it through one of the openings, either the exhaust side or the turbocharger side.

I can't say whether they are ripping you off, and unless there is foundation for such a claim, better not make it.

So my questions:
- Did the first garage notice whether the DPF was still filled with a filter element or just a hollow tube? Maybe double-check with the second garage
- Has the DPF been initialized after cleaning it out?

My advice:
- Fix the turbocharger hose and see which error codes return. This should solve the P0299 and P0101
- Initialize the DPF with a diagnostic tool. This could solve the P2002
LightSV
New

Post by LightSV »

I'm pretty much certain they're responsible for it in this particular case... also the welds on the back of the DPF are quite fresh and clean still... can't be more than a week or two old. Also the car came from them in the first place. But of course I can't be 100% sure. The mechanic doesn't speak english very well which makes it all a little more difficult.

The first garage hasn't mentioned anything about initialising or reseting the DPF values through diagnostics. So I'm assuming they haven't

On the agenda for tomorrow is:
- Ask the second garage to check if there's a filter element inside
- Get the DPF initialized
- and of course, fix the turbocharger hose

Hopefully all will be sorted tomorrow.