Polo steering wheel retrofit

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Casoman82
New
Drives: 2011 Mk5 1.4 petrol

Post by Casoman82 »

Hiya, I recently got a 2011 polo 6c 1.4 petrol, and I love it.

My question is to do with the steering wheel, as I have the standard steering wheel, with no controls at all, and j wanted to retrofit a gti steering wheel, with all of the controls on it (I have no clue how to add images but it's this one https://m.ebay.com/itm/VW-Golf-MK6-VI-G ... mwBanner=1)

The only thing I don't know is whether the controls would work in my car, or do I need something special to make it work?

Thanks.
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Re: Polo steering wheel retrofit

Post by Willni »

2011 would be the 6R, and it’ll be a straight fit just needs coded in but expect to pay a lot as the mk6 wheels are expensive and rare around the £350 mark then £120 for an airbag. (Polo and golf airbags are not the same despite the same shape)

Your car should already have the right clock spring and swcm.

A cheaper option would be the mk7/6C gti/gtd/r-line steering wheel it’s £350 for the wheel and airbag i’m not sure on the level of work to get it to work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

2011 would be the 6R, and it’ll be a straight fit just needs coded in but expect to pay a lot as the mk6 wheels are expensive and rare around the £350 mark then £120 for an airbag. (Polo and golf airbags are not the same despite the same shape)

Your car should already have the right clock spring and swcm.

A cheaper option would be the mk7/6C gti/gtd/r-line steering wheel it’s £350 for the wheel and airbag i’m not sure on the level of work to get it to work

Casoman82
New
Drives: 2011 Mk5 1.4 petrol

Post by Casoman82 »

Sorry, I meant to say 6r

Disregarding the price though, which one would be easier to fir and to make it work properly?

Also are there any guides to coding it in, or should I get it done professionally?

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Willni
Silver Member

Post by Willni »

Easier one would be the mk6golf/polo6rgti steering wheel.

None of it is hard to do, just need the right tools a spline set, a torque wrench with extension to fit said splines, a med length flat screwdriver, couple of torx probably just t25 but could be 20 or 30, a trim removal tool and vcds/vag-com is all you need.

Vcd/vag-com isn’t hard to use but it is expensive £215-£400 new or you can chance a 2nd hand one. Don’t bother with the knock offs they can destroy your CECM.

It’s just a matter of plugging it in and ticking a box saying multifunction steering wheel essentially