Unlocking doors

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
poloag
Getting There!
Drives: VW Polo 1.2 TSI (CJZC) 2017 '66" plate

Unlocking doors

Post by poloag »

Hi,

On my car if I press the fob once it opens only the drivers door, and have to press it again to unlock the passenger door.
I would like to ask if it is possible for all doors to open with 1 press of the fob please?

Thanks
Willni
Silver Member
Drives: Polo '14 6R, Golf 07' Edition 30

Re: Unlocking doors

Post by Willni »

Yes, you have to use vcds or carista obd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
poloag
Getting There!

Post by poloag »

oh ok via a computer. thanks
graeme
New
Drives: 2017 6C GTI, 3 door, Pure White

Post by graeme »

This is something I am able to change in the settings through the infotainment system, have a look there.
poloag
Getting There!

Post by poloag »

excellent thanks, dont seem to have the book for the infotainment system, is one available in pdf please?
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

graeme wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:12 pm This is something I am able to change in the settings through the infotainment system, have a look there.
You can with the Polo 6c, but if the OP’s car is a Polo 6r, i think you need vcds, obd11 or carista as Willni has said in the 2nd post in this discussion thread to make this change.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

I've a 2017 6C/6R (see details to the right of this Reply) and I have to press the remote (fob) twice in fairly quick succession every time I lock or unlock the entire vehicle (all doors and boot). I'd like to be able to do it with just one press but from my early analysis of what's possible on my vehicle this is set in stone according to whether or not the Polo uses VW's 'Safelock' system, and mine unfortunately doesn't have that. This depends on the vehicle's 'equipment level'. If Safelock is provided, there'll be settings in the Infotainment system for turning it on and off. Safelock is explained on p70 of my Polo's owner's manual. If it isn't provided, it can only be introduced by programming it in by a VW workshop technician or, as has been suggested by others, via something like VCDS or Carista.

Certainly, with the way I've things set up on my Polo, I don't have to go through a completely separate exercise to open the passenger door(s). I've found that, after a time, I've become accustomed to pressing the fob twice (twice to lock everything, and also twice also to unlock) and do it instinctively now. Most owners would want everything locked when leaving the car unattended and then everything unlocked when returning to it, and this is what happens. It's no big deal, I find, to have to press the fob a second time. In one way, it adds a bit of extra security.
d-ash
Getting There!
Drives: 6C 2016 R-Line 1.2 90PS - Blue Silk

Post by d-ash »

veteran wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:39 am I've found that, after a time, I've become accustomed to pressing the fob twice (twice to lock everything, and also twice also to unlock) and do it instinctively now.
Something wrong there. When locking the car, one press should lock everything (regardless of security settings on the passenger doors).

You might find the second press upon locking actually disables the internal security and deadlocks.
SRGTD
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

d-ash wrote: Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:12 am
veteran wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:39 am I've found that, after a time, I've become accustomed to pressing the fob twice (twice to lock everything, and also twice also to unlock) and do it instinctively now.
Something wrong there. When locking the car, one press should lock everything (regardless of security settings on the passenger doors).

You might find the second press upon locking actually disables the internal security and deadlocks.
That’s my understanding too; one press activates the deadlocks, two presses will lock the car but without the deadlocks activated.
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

You may have a point; I might not have read the manual's wording carefully enough. Errh, doh! For locking the vehicle, though (as opposed to also unlocking), the manual does state that unless the vehicle has the Safelock feature, the fob has to be pressed twice. I can even recall the occasion when I first went to pick my Polo up from the dealer and the salesguy himself pointed out that the fob had to be pressed twice, which he then duly demonstrated. Here's what the manual actually says:

Depending on the vehicle equipment level, the vehicle may have a SAFELOCK mechanism and an anti-theft alarm - p71.

The SAFELOCK deactivates the door release levers if the vehicle has been locked. This makes it more difficult to break into the vehicle. The doors can no longer be opened from the inside.

Locking a vehicle with SAFELOCK -
Press the <lock icon> button on the vehicle key once.

Locking a vehicle without SAFELOCK -
Press the <lock icon> button on the vehicle key twice in quick succession.
Press the central locking button <lock icon> in the driver door once.

Depending on the vehicle equipment level, there may be an indication of the activated SAFELOCK in the display of the instrument cluster (Check SAFELOCK! or SAFELOCK!).

Deactivating SAFELOCK -

The SAFELOCK can be deactivated in one of the following ways -

Press the <lock icon> on the vehicle key twice - p68.
Switch on the ignition.

Before locking the vehicle, press the button for switching off interior monitoring and anti-tow alarm once - p71.

The following applies when SAFELOCK is deactivated:

The vehicle can be unlocked and opened from the inside using the door release lever.
The anti-theft alarm is active - p71.
The interior monitoring system and anti-tow alarm are deactivated.
The interior monitoring system and anti-tow alarm can be reactivated by pressing the <interior monitoring > button again.

I think that, together, you've unearthed an oversight of mine. Thanks.

Not sure if poloag is still managing to follow this.
Last edited by veteran on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
d-ash
Getting There!

Post by d-ash »

I just can’t believe VW would be so remiss as to require the fob button to be pressed twice to lock the car. The outcome would be that nearly all similarly equipped Polos would be left partly unlocked by unsuspecting owners who press the button once only...

The second press upon unlocking has been a long standing VW feature which allows the drivers door to be unlocked independently of other doors, but never the converse (upon locking)

Having read your edit, it is obvious that the manual is not very clear. Glad we got there in the end though :wink:
Last edited by d-ash on Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

What's now confused me further on this is that, on p69 of the manual it says:

Locking and unlocking the vehicle from the outside -

Unlock: press the <unlock icon> button. Press and hold for convenience opening.
Lock: press the <lock icon> button. Press and hold for convenience closing.
Press the <boot icon> button. The boot lid is unlocked - p.76.

In vehicles with SAFELOCK, press the <lock icon> button once to lock the vehicle using the SAFELOCK mechanism - p70. Press the <lock icon> button twice to lock the vehicle without SAFELOCK.

Please note: all doors and the boot lid will be unlocked only by pressing the <unlock icon> button twice, depending on the central locking function activated by a qualified workshop.

(the section finishes by describing the flashing of the turn signals).

I think it's because I don't have SAFELOCK on mine that I've therefore got used instead to just pressing the fob's unlock icon twice whenever I return to the car. As it states above, this guarantees that all doors and the boot are then unlocked and are free to open.

(Looks like I'm going to have to delve into this further, as I need to properly understand all the options and to use the best one).

Afterthought: it could be that, in my case, when I first went to pick the car up the dealer didn't fully understand all of this and perhaps the workshop had set mine up to unlock all the doors only by two presses of the fob. I've been happily using two presses ever since, assuming that that was necessary, since there's no indication anywhere that my Polo has the SAFELOCK feature. I remember on one occasion trying just one press when wanting to unlock everything, but that left the boot still locked.
d-ash
Getting There!

Post by d-ash »

So long as you press once to lock then all will be fully secured (deadlocked). You would only press twice upon locking if you wish to lock the car with someone inside (with deadlocks being disabled in this case the occupants are able to open doors from the inside should they need to get out).

By pressing and holding the lock or unlock button for ‘convenience’ closing/opening, sunroof and electric windows are closed/opened (dependent upon equipment level). Upon locking, this ensures everything is closed in case a window, for example, is still part open.
veteran
Silver Member

Post by veteran »

Okay then. Following that methodology, what about unlocking? Everything, ie. all doors and the boot? One press, or two? I'm pretty sure that on my Polo, once does not unlock everything.

I'm engaged in other activities over the next few days but later I'll experiment a bit more with the central locking system on my Polo and will report back my findings. It's imperative I get this sorted and straight in my mind.
d-ash
Getting There!

Post by d-ash »

Locking - One press will lock everything no matter how your system is encoded

Unlocking - In your case, the coding seems such that, upon unlocking, one press unlocks the driver's door only and two presses unlocks all doors and tailgate