Auto headlight retrofit. VW Transporter. T5 (2010-2015)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Auto headlight retrofit. VW Transporter. T5 (2010-2015)

Post by ciclo »

Perfect! Thank you very much for reporting. 8)

It's not possible by coding o adaptation, ...like in your MK7 or my Wolf MK7.5
carlos_T5
New
Drives: VW T5GP

Post by carlos_T5 »

Hallo Guys, I would like to retrofit the bixenon headlights to my T5gp. I have seen you have done a good job and nearly everything is describer in this forum. But I would still have a question about pinout of AFS unit. I would like to mount the front and rear sensor and make a wiring loom but I have not found the circuit diagram or pinout of the unit and sensors. Does anybody know how this should be done? Thanks
ciclo
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

reido80
New
Drives: VW t5.1 GP bitdi 4motion

Post by reido80 »

Hello everyone,
I came across this very informative thread after researching the fitting of xenons to a T5.
I used to own a 1985 vw polo saloon (which was probably the best car I had owned) I did have an account on uk polos but cant seem to remember my old details so have created this new one. I hope you dont mind me coming on here for non polo stuff :D
I am looking for help with my RHD uk 2012 T5.1 BITDI 4motion, When I bought it I thought it had factory fit xenon headlamps, after a few days of ownership i realised a previous owner had fitted genuine VW xenon units but the conversion has been carried out badly.

It looks like they have cut the original 10pin plugs off the loom for headlamps and spliced in some 14 pin plugs and bridged a few wires together. In doing this, it means things like the sidelights don't work, the xenon lamp turns off when full beam turned on etc. Because the original loom is compromised I dont intend to use kufatec adaptors, and intend to run new wires following the original looms as much as possible.
The van also has working headlamp washers and cornering fog lamps but I dont know if these have been retro fitted or factory fitted.

I intend to fit the full Auto levelling set up, autolights (and wipers if possible but may leave this until i can afford a heated T6 windscreen with sensors). I would like AFS cornering lights if this is possible but not sure if my xenons have the function?

My van has a factory fitted trailer electrics if this will affect anything?

What I intend to do to get round not using kufatec adaptors-
Fit new 14 pin plugs for headlamp loom (originals cracked). I may have to take a closer look at the original loom as It may need extended once the bodged wiring is removed.

Left hand light loom - run any new wires following original loom along front bumper to T14 & T10 connectors behind right hand side bumper.

Right hand light loom - to also follow original loom.

I have photos of the fuse boxes etc and I have a load of parts, including BCM 090 but will need to order more parts like the level sensors. I also have VCDS.

More info to follow or if requested, Can anyone help me out please..... :D
Bizmo
Getting There!
Drives: Transporter T5GP

Post by Bizmo »

Sounds exciting!

Would get yourself a copy of ELSA and ETKA to have a look through all the OEM wiring diagrams so you know what connects where to get it to factory then you can put in the mods from this thread!
reido80
New
Drives: VW t5.1 GP bitdi 4motion

Post by reido80 »

Bizmo wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:26 am Sounds exciting!

Would get yourself a copy of ELSA and ETKA to have a look through all the OEM wiring diagrams so you know what connects where to get it to factory then you can put in the mods from this thread!
Hi Bizmo,
Thanks for your reply,
Funnily enough I downloaded loads of ERWIN information just yesterday so I will be having a thorough look at it all next week.

On looking through the PR codes etc...

The headlamp washers are factory fitted (8X1), as are the cornering fog lights (8WH).
Original headlamps were PR code 8BF = H4 units.
PR codes also show - 8K1 = Separate daytime running lights (permanently switched on during driving)- Not sure if this is supposed to be for DRL in the bumper but there are none fitted there.

I still need to buy the connectors/terminals for the various plugs and sockets, MCP, MQS, JPT etc
I am struggling to find somewhere that sells everything. Most of the places that sell them dont tend to differentiate between terminals designed for use with seal or without seal. Some places will call a SPT a JPT depending on the cable size (or vice versa). Some seem to call the same MCP 4.8mm a 6.3 or 5.8 for example, depending on where you shop. Its a bit of a minefield when your new to it!

Fun and games...
Adam87
Bronze Member
Drives: T5.2

Post by Adam87 »

If it helps the left headlight is part of the bumper loom, when I retrofitted xenon headlights I replaced the bumper loom (I was also adding from PDC which is part of that loom) then you will only need to run the extra wires to the coupling point behind the right headlight and also gives you a new plug for the left headlight
Bizmo
Getting There!
Drives: Transporter T5GP

Post by Bizmo »

I’ve bought a load from this guy before.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 1332390568

If you look on ETKA it will tell you the VW part numbers for the terminal so you can view it on his or you can just figure it out if you know what you want.

In terms of the actual plastic blocks that they plug into to form the plugs, I have got these direct from TPS for everything they are usually very cheap.
Ibanezuv777
New
Drives: T5

Post by Ibanezuv777 »

Hi Ciclo,

Are you still monitoring this thread? I am in the process of upgrading the BCM in my T5.1, from an 088 to a 090 MAX...........I’ve run into a serious problem where the CAN gateway cannot be communicated with in VCDS, to copy over the coding data I backed up from the old module. Please could you help? You guys have an awesome thread going on here :)

Many thanks
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

If you have the 088 bcm, it means you have the external gateway. You need to remove the external gateway and wire all can wires to the new 090 bcm
Ibanezuv777
New

Post by Ibanezuv777 »

Thanks for your quick reply!

Does this mean the CAN gateway is no longer needed to transmit CAN data between modules / units?
Ibanezuv777
New

Post by Ibanezuv777 »

I’ve since tried to do a full auto scan and this fails from the start. I have however isolated old can wires, and connected the can + and - lines from the cluster to the bcm directly, which has got rid of a multitude of sins.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

The new CAN gateway is located inside the BCM.
You need to route the following wires to the BCM (I don't have a schedule here for exact pin numbers)
2 wires (high and low) for CAN diagnostics to the OBD2 connector
2 wires (high and low) for CAN instruments to the instrument cluster
2 wires (high and low) for CAN powertrain to powertrain can (i.e. steering angle sender).
1 new wire (LIN) to the BCM for the LIN generator, wire is inserted now into the external CAN gateway.
Ibanezuv777
New

Post by Ibanezuv777 »

iichel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:20 pm The new CAN gateway is located inside the BCM.
You need to route the following wires to the BCM (I don't have a schedule here for exact pin numbers)
2 wires (high and low) for CAN diagnostics to the OBD2 connector
2 wires (high and low) for CAN instruments to the instrument cluster
2 wires (high and low) for CAN powertrain to powertrain can (i.e. steering angle sender).
1 new wire (LIN) to the BCM for the LIN generator, wire is inserted now into the external CAN gateway.
I see!! That makes perfect sense, thanks again for the info.

After doing a bit of research, I think these could be correct..........please correct me (when you have time) if I’m wrong:

T73B/22 (Can LOW Diagnostic) - T16/14 ???
T73B/23 (Can HIGH Diagnostic) - T16/6 ???

T73B/54 - Cluster T32/28
T73B/57 - Cluster T32/29

T73B/18 (Can LOW Powertrain) - T20/6 Gateway ???
T73B/19 (Can HIGH Powertrain) - T20/16 Gateway ???

Do you know where I can find the CAN gateway, and does this get piggy backed from the gateway to the BCM, or replaced entirely?

I think the LIN BUS on the gateway is pin 2 and LIN bus on the BCM are T73B/17,24,36??
Last edited by Ibanezuv777 on Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ibanezuv777
New

Post by Ibanezuv777 »

Ok, an update to BCM Max install.......

I can communicate directly to the BCM via VCDS, but no other module in the van. Would I be correct in saying the diagnostic can wires are already in place for the BCM > OBD?