Auto headlight retrofit. VW Transporter. T5 (2010-2015)

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
graylscott
Getting There!
Drives: T5GP

Re: Auto headlight retrofit

Post by graylscott »

Hey ciclo

Adaptation channels CSV as requested :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43k9ym8m0mwq5 ... D.CSV?dl=0
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Post by ciclo »

Excellent!, thanks graylscott (I am aware that you have to do an extra effort to transport the data on the USB pen drive to your Mac).
Shortly I post some diagrams so that you do the obligatory first step. (Bixenon-BCM wires)
graylscott
Getting There!

Post by graylscott »

It's no longer a problem now I have a backward compatible USB. I just couldn't find one before :lol:

Thank you so much ciclo! I look forward to getting stuck in! :wink:
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

T5 Bixenon headlights.

Left. MX1

Right. MX2

J519 = BCM

Signals (see arrows in the MX1 diagram)
- 31= ground.
- 49l = turn signal.
- 56b = low beam.
- 56a = high beam.
- TFL = DRL.
- 58 (R/L) = parking/side lights, interior lights, etc. 58d = after Dimmer.

- NSW = front fog lights.

-------

What do you have to do in your T5?

In the Kufatec harness you have to add two 0.5 mm2 thick wires.
- Left Bixenon headlight : a wire from T14g/12 connector to T73b/3 BCM white connector.
- Right Bixenon headlight: a wire from T14c/12 connector to T73a/5 BCM black connector.

-------

What terminals should you use for these connectors?

First a very useful link: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=42713#p466570

- For T14 connectors (Kufatec model) and for the DRL wire to be added in the slot /12:
Micro timer

- For T73 BCM connectors and these DRL wires:
MCP 1.5

NOTE: This work will have no effect yet on your DRLs (Bixenon headlights) :) , it is necessary to add a new wire (signal) from the T17 light switch connector - or T10 coupling in the automatic light wiring - to the BCM, but this is part of the next phases/steps.
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

For the next step I need you to take some images from your T5 like the next ones:

From the light switch connector, two. I need to see the color of the wires, both sides. Please good quality. :)

From the fuse box.

As you have removed the wiring for automatic lights at this moment, please post a couple of images of the wiring, general view and close to the couplings (connectors). Do not worry about the appearance, nobody is perfect and it's difficult to take good images of this type of wiring. :wink:

----
I take the opportunity to upload some images captured from the net that I think are very interesting for this next step.

:arrow: http://vwgolfr32.co.uk/shop/CCS-VW-T5-GP-BCM.htm

graylscott
Getting There!

Post by graylscott »

Thanks ciclo!

I'll get on that wiring today. I have a terrible feeling that MCP1.5 is the only contact I have run out of! I'll order some more just in case!

I'll go and take photos now and post shortly!
graylscott
Getting There!

Post by graylscott »

Hi Ciclo

I have just checked the Kufatec harness and T14/12 is already populated by a wire running to T10/4 (original headlight harness)

This is the case on both sides.

Can you advise?

Thanks
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

The Kufatec harness is correct for T5 8K3/8K8, but your T5 is 8K0/8K1, therefore you have to remove and isolate the T14/12 Kufatec wires from both connectors and install the new wires as previously stated. :wink:

- Left Bixenon headlight : a wire from T14g/12 connector to T73b/3 BCM white connector.
- Right Bixenon headlight: a wire from T14c/12 connector to T73a/5 BCM black connector.

With the following steps everything will have an efficient logic. Wait to see ... :wink:
graylscott
Getting There!

Post by graylscott »

No problem. I just didn't want to start pulling wires unless I was sure! :lol:

I have run the wires from the engine bay, but my fears were confirmed. I only had 1 MCP1.5 left, so I have only been able to connect one of the wires to the BCM. (Right BiXenon light to T73a/5) :|

Here are the photos you requested!

Apologies for the state of my T17 connector. It has degraded as I have added and removed the new harness so many times! :oops:

T17 (1-9)

T17 (10-17) T17/15 is Red with a Black stripe. It is shrink-wrapped where power was taken for MFSW retrofit)

BCM

Relays

Fusebox

The following photos are of the light switch harness I made.

Harness

10pin light switch connector

T10+T2 with connectors

Relay Holder

BCM pins

You'll notice it is sat on my new bumper for headlight washer retrofit (next job)
graylscott
Getting There!

Post by graylscott »

It's just occurred to me that the wire colours of the light switch are identical to the example photo you posted.

I could have avoided showing you my embarrassing connector :lol:
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Thank you very much for all the effort you are doing, you will see that worth it 100%.

graylscott wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:20 pm No problem. I just didn't want to start pulling wires unless I was sure! :lol:
It's not going to happen with me around here ... you can be sure.
graylscott wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:20 pm I only had 1 MCP1.5 left.
I have a lot... think why I say this at this time (a gift approaches for you), but we must continue to build this topic.

No problem about the T17 connector, it will disappear forever. (IIRC its price is 3-5€ at the VW dealer)
graylscott wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:20 pm You'll notice it is sat on my new bumper for headlight washer retrofit (next job)
8)
graylscott wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:31 pm It's just occurred to me that the wire colours of the light switch are identical to the example photo you posted.
I could have avoided showing you my embarrassing connector :lol:
... the fuse box too. :lol:

-----

Well, after seeing the images that you have posted, several questions arise, some of them are very important, I beg you for accuracy in the answers.

1. H4 headlights from factory? i.e, with the same H4 bulb for high and low beam.

2. The original wire red-black 2.5mm2 (+30 signal) is very important in this installation, what is the function of each wire shown with arrows in the following image?

This splice where you take the power for other devices must be perfect.

The MFSW works with a +15 signal. It might have been better to take the power from T17/1 or T17/2.
OEM? from fuse SC34b output, but SC34a input wire it's not present in your T5, logically. (SC34 = 5Amp)

3. What's the wiring length according to the points marked in the following image?

4. Continuing with the wiring for automatic lights, what do you think about this?

---
After your answers I will post two new diagrams that I have made for the automatic light wiring in T5 8K0 / 8K1, with H4 or H7 headlights. :lol:
Adam87
Bronze Member
Drives: T5.2

Auto headlight retrofit

Post by Adam87 »

Good work Fernando [emoji106] well done to notice the the issues, hopefully that fixes it for graylscott

@graylscott, I don’t think I’m too far from you in Warrington, if you get stuck with anything feel free to give me a call or pop over
ciclo

Post by ciclo »

Thanks Adam. :wink:
I love your T5, after your latest mod's :lol: . Have you mentioned it in any forum?
graylscott
Getting There!

Post by graylscott »

ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm Thank you very much for all the effort you are doing, you will see that worth it 100%.
Are you serious? It's me who needs to thank you!!! Thank you so much for helping me with this!!
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm not going to happen with me around here ... you can be sure.
Oh I am sure! :D
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pmI have a lot... think why I say this at this time (a gift approaches for you), but we must continue to build this topic.
I've ordered a load of parts on Friday. They should be he by Monday or Tuesday! :)
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pmNo problem about the T17 connector, it will disappear forever. (IIRC its price is 3-5€ at the VW dealer)
This is why I may have taken a little less care the first time I removed it! :lol:
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm1. H4 headlights from factory? i.e, with the same H4 bulb for high and low beam.
Correct, they are H4 High/Low!
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm2. The original wire red-black 2.5mm2 (+30 signal) is very important in this installation, what is the function of each wire shown with arrows in the following image?
The thick red wire (which is 0.5mm2 believe it or not, it just has very thick insulation) provides power to the MFSW.

The grey wire provides power to the Rain/Light Sensor. My best effort at googling at the time revealed as the best source of 'constant live' power.
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pmThis splice where you take the power for other devices must be perfect.
I soldered these wires into place so I think they should be good.
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pmThe MFSW works with a +15 signal. It might have been better to take the power from T17/1 or T17/2.
OEM? from fuse SC34b output, but SC34a input wire it's not present in your T5, logically. (SC34 = 5Amp)
Of course, this would have been preferable, as this is how I installed RLS and MFSW in my Passat B6 (there were suitable fuse spares in the fuse box).

I checked the T5's fuse box prior to making these connections, but I could not find any pre-wired spare fuses.

I am happy to move these to the fuse box if you think this is for the best (and can advise how) :wink:
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm3. What's the wiring length according to the points marked in the following image?
The length is 1 meter (maybe just under)
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pm4. Continuing with the wiring for automatic lights, what do you think about this?
Sorry, I'm not 100% sure what you mean? :oops:
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:55 pmAfter your answers I will post two new diagrams that I have made for the automatic light wiring in T5 8K0 / 8K1, with H4 or H7 headlights. :lol:
I think I know already where I have gone wrong. Have I created a loom meant for H7 headlight only?? :oops: :lol:
graylscott
Getting There!

Post by graylscott »

Adam87 wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 8:58 pm Good work Fernando [emoji106] well done to notice the the issues, hopefully that fixes it for graylscott

@graylscott, I don’t think I’m too far from you in Warrington, if you get stuck with anything feel free to give me a call or pop over
Thanks Adam! It does sound like I need to have a look at your van! 8)
ciclo wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:10 pm Thanks Adam. :wink:
I love your T5, after your latest mod's :lol: . Have you mentioned it in any forum?
:wink: