Spare Key not working

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Tombirch95
Getting There!
Drives: 2011 Polo Match 1.2 TDI

Spare Key not working

Post by Tombirch95 »

Hello,

ive come to need to use my spare Key as my partner wants to drive the car, but the key doesn't work at all.

it fits the ignition and will start the car but it doesn't seem to be programmed it says no key, remote does not function.

does any know how to reprogram? I have access to VCDS & Vag Tacho

is there a way to get the remote paired?

ive googled it and cannot get it to work following the instructions:

1) Unlock the door to your car using the key blade

2) Insert your old key blade into the ignition and turn it to the "on" position, but do not start the car.
3) Roll down your driver's side window

4) Step out of the car and insert your new key into the driver's door lock, now turn the key to the left and hold it in that position for 10 seconds.

5) Now press the lock button on the FOB

6) Now press the unlock button on the FOB

can anyone shed any light?

car is a polo 2011 1.2 TDI

Tom
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Spare Key not working

Post by iichel »

you could try this procedure with vcds:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... l_Matching

also, check the battery of the remote
Stormtrooper1967
New
Drives: 1.2 TSI Match Edition 5 Door Pure White

Post by Stormtrooper1967 »

When you press the remote button do you see a red light? If not then the battery needs replacing - be careful as we had a remote not working and replaced the battery with a Duracell 2032. Still wouldn't work so we asked dealership when we were in and they simply put a VW 2032 battery in which worked. They said the remotes can be fussy about which batteries will and won't work. :shock:
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

iichel wrote: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:20 pm you could try this procedure with vcds:
http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.ph ... l_Matching

also, check the battery of the remote
This worked perfectly, thank you I couldn't find these details on ross-tech.

Tom
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

Stormtrooper1967 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:21 pm When you press the remote button do you see a red light? If not then the battery needs replacing - be careful as we had a remote not working and replaced the battery with a Duracell 2032. Still wouldn't work so we asked dealership when we were in and they simply put a VW 2032 battery in which worked. They said the remotes can be fussy about which batteries will and won't work. :shock:
hello yes, batteries had been changed but I couldn't get the remote to work , it still does not turn the car on due to what im guessing is the immo chip lost its sync?

the remote is working spot on now im not sure how its happened but in all fairness ive not used the spare key since I bought the car.

Tom
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

VW used to fit only Sony batteries at factory.
I don't know what happens to a transponder chip if it is left unused for a very long period, it is in no way connected to the remote battery - if it is a normal key, but what I do know is, I used to own a 2000 VW Passat 4Motion 2.8V6 193PS, and my wife only ever used her key maybe once a year at most, and that key always worked okay. With my current car, a 2011 Audi S4, my wife has never driven it and I have only used her key twice, once soon after buying that car to make sure that that key worked okay, and then a couple of years later after replacing the missing plastic key, so all the keys had to be reintroduced to the car, and I wanted to check that they all worked. Within that car's security system, each key will have its own memory slot so that each key has its own rolling random code fed back to it after being used, so maybe you are right and now you need to unfortunately pay to get all your keys "aligned" to that car.
Tombirch95
Getting There!

Post by Tombirch95 »

Thanks for you reply, I took the car into the dealer, they are boggled by it they have me booked in for Friday to have a look and probably reprogram the car 🤷🏼‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk