Fitting DRL headlights to 6C

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Fatherless One
New
Drives: GTI 6C

Fitting DRL headlights to 6C

Post by Fatherless One »

Hi all,

I’m looking at changing from my non DRL halogen headlights in my new Polo GTI (Australia) and probably looking at an aftermarket style of headlights, I’ve been looking at some 6R style headlights as I prefer this style than the U shape DRL’s that seem to be everywhere on Alibaba

Would these headlights work properly in a 6C? And what is required?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Alan.
Fatherless One
New

Re: Fitting DRL headlights to 6C

Post by Fatherless One »

These are the headlights I’m looking at, they can supply them in RHD.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/For-VOL ... 15957.html
sharan1988
New
Drives: Polo sedan

Post by sharan1988 »

Why don't you look at used oem bi xenon as there are plenty available in Uk and Germany. And would cost you the same as a replica on aliexpress.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

I would recommend a used set of oem bi xenon's too.
Eduard
Getting There!
Drives: 6C

Post by Eduard »

Trust me, I've been there, done that. You will have a ton of issues fitting the 6R OEM Xenon on a 6C .
Since you have a GTI, it's most likely that your having at least a B (H007 @ 0065) software version on the BCM ( 6C0 937 089 ) which is good news. What you'll have to do is just re-wire the DRL from the bumper into the new headlights, (or buy the 6R Xenon adapters, which will fit just fine and re-place the terminals accordingly, you can look for my threads here and/or on the RT forums, plenty of info / issues ).

If you don't have DRLs at all, don't bother with OEM, just go with the U-TYPE aftermarket stuff. I got mine to work, eventually, but, the high beams wont work, (headlamp flasher does though), and the headlights light up the mining i switch my ignition ON, while the DRLs are OFF when rotary switch is on 0 / Off position.

I might have to play with some wiring and/or some coding but.. trust me, it's a pain. Easiest is to just buy the original 6C GTI LED headlights ... if you have the money, otherwise go for the aftermarket ones.

Just remember, you wont be able to have the DRLs dim on blinking, or on fog lights, or on low beams on, whatever. No OEM stuff.

Post an AutoScan by the way. Cheers
Fatherless One
New

Post by Fatherless One »

Thanks for the input lads.

My car has the DRL’s in the lower bumper next to the fogs.

I’d ideally love to stay OEM but the 6C LED headlights are still very expensive, and I’d need washers etc.

I wasn’t looking at HID’s either for the same reasons, I just wanted projectors with LED DRL’s to give the front end a visual lift.

I wish somebody would make an OEM copy of the new 6C LED headlights, they look great, the LED headlights aren’t standard here in Oz, a real shame.
CNK
Gold Member
Drives: 6R

Post by CNK »

Hmm .. it seems to me that it is possible, there were many Polo 6C BlueGT and Cross models with Bixenon headlights or H7 from Polo 6R.

Here is 2014 Polo 6C with OEM Bixenon from factory:
https://www.autoevolution.com/news/volk ... 78121.html

There is even a topic on the forum about this :arrow: viewtopic.php?t=67284
viewtopic.php?p=500351#p500351
Last edited by CNK on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fatherless One
New

Post by Fatherless One »

They do look great imho 👍🏼
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Sometimes when a car maker stuffs projector lights into a "Halogen" head light cluster, things can look a bit strange, I had that with my 2000 VW Passat 4Motion 2.8 V6, it was ordered with HIDs so it turned quite a few heads when they spotted that curious projector lens instead a couple of bulbs - maybe not the best visual feature of that car, very good lights though!
CNK
Gold Member
Drives: 6R

Post by CNK »

Sure, Bi Xenon headlights in Polo 6R are very good, I think if it was different, ciclo would change them a long time ago :D

The best are OEM, but you can find a lot of aftermarket, some of theme have more blue light than OEM, but I belive, that OEM are best quality :)

Here you can find some more pictures of Bi Xenon in perfect ciclo's 6R:
viewtopic.php?f=56&t=58703&start=885#p493598
:wink: