Adam’s T5.1 GP

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Adam87
Bronze Member
Drives: T5.2

Adam’s T5.1 GP

Post by Adam87 »

Thought I’d best start some kind of build thread, I know it’s not a polo but it does share the same platform and certain parts and it seems some other T5 owners come here for information as it is a great source

Here’s my 2015 T5 Highline fully standard
(Excuse the space hopper [emoji23])

3D cluster

BCM swap to 7E0 (thanks Fernando for the help)

T6 MFSW

Gloss black and chrome grilles & bumper

New bumper fitted with new loom & headlight washers

Sportline wheels, side bars, roof rails

Xenons & LED DRL’s

Discover media

Front PDC

Climatronic

Heated leather seats

T6 reverse camera

T6 heated windscreen

Brushed ali handbrake button (the small details [emoji23])

RLHS & HBA
ImageImageImage
Last edited by Adam87 on Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
ciclo
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: 6R'13/G7.5'19

Re: Adam’s T5.1 GP

Post by ciclo »

The VW Transporter T5/6 have been our source of inspiration for some of our Mods, here is one of them.

Say welcome does not make sense after sharing many things during these years. It is really good that you open your own topic here.
At your disposal...Image

(I know you have more aces up to show :lol:)
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

That is one sexy van
graylscott
Getting There!
Drives: T5GP

Post by graylscott »

Wow! Those mods tho! Beautiful van!

Three questions if I may....

1. Where did you source the instrument cluster? I want!
2. How did you overcome component protection on the Discover Media? Again, I want!
3. Did you need to change your washer bottle for the headlight washers? If so, do you have the part numbers for the bottle and the pipework?
(I already have the loom, pump, washer pops, covers and the new bumper. These are the missing parts)

Thanks in advance!

And well done sir!!! :D
Adam87
Bronze Member

Post by Adam87 »

ciclo wrote:The VW Transporter T5/6 have been our source of inspiration for some of our Mods, here is one of them.

Say welcome does not make sense after sharing many things during these years. It is really good that you open your own topic here.
At your disposal...Image

(I know you have more aces up to show :lol:)
Thanks Fernando you have helped lots with this project [emoji4][emoji106]
I will try to add more pictures of the other aces soon
iichel wrote:That is one sexy van
Thanks iichel [emoji41]

graylscott wrote:Wow! Those mods tho! Beautiful van!

Three questions if I may....

1. Where did you source the instrument cluster? I want!
2. How did you overcome component protection on the Discover Media? Again, I want!
3. Did you need to change your washer bottle for the headlight washers? If so, do you have the part numbers for the bottle and the pipework?
(I already have the loom, pump, washer pops, covers and the new bumper. These are the missing parts)

Thanks in advance!

And well done sir!!! :D
Certainly....

1. From TPS (make sure you’re sat down [emoji383][emoji22])

2.component protection requires a few parts to make to radio function without it activating (I’ll make a separate post)

3. I’ve not changed the bottle yet, just ran all the pipework near it, I just need to add the pump and wiring. I’m sure the part number was the same last time I checked but I don’t remember seeing an obvious location for it [emoji848]
Adam87
Bronze Member

Adam’s T5.1 GP

Post by Adam87 »

The discover media component protection (CP) requires the unit to firstly not have CP activated.

Then the unit then needs this little PCB soldering in place of the eeprom chip and the eeprom chip being soldered onto the new patch PCB

This patch PCB basically rewrites the original value back to the eeprom chip every time the unit is powered off/on or reset thus resetting the internal timer that activates CP when CP messages are not received from the cluster

Next there needs to be a CAN filter placed on the CAN lines to the radio to stop it receiving CP messages from the cluster and making it activate CP. (only needed with 3D and ~2015> clusters)

That’s it [emoji4]
CNK
Gold Member
Drives: 6R

Post by CNK »

Super car and great modifications! Congratulations! I'm amazed :wink:
Adam87
Bronze Member

Post by Adam87 »

CNK wrote:Super car and great modifications! Congratulations! I'm amazed :wink:
Thanks CNK [emoji4]
Adam87
Bronze Member

Post by Adam87 »

@Ciclo
Sorry I couldn’t find the post (I think it was in your build thread) where you explained about WRM needing to be SW 8xxx for folding mirror, yes this is correct as a minimum but, I have found one exception to this rule, the T5 ‘K’ revision WRM has the exact same SW & HW number as my WRM but it is missing 3 pins and once opened it is possible to see all the components that are missing
‘K’ revision with missing components

‘L’ revision with marked components
ImageImage

Maybe not very expensive to add most of the components, except for the PWM driver for the mirrors which also needs the SW copying from the L module
Adam87
Bronze Member

Post by Adam87 »

Reverse camera retrofit

This is a little more tricky for barn door as it was never an OEM option, so here goes

ImageImageImageImageImage
As you can see not much room for the camera

Next was the OEM LED number plate lights, and again was never a factory option for barn doors. I had to cut these down length and width
iichel

Post by iichel »

Looks good adam. Are you going for the highline RVC (with module and moving lines with steering angle)?
I see the green fakra, so it looks like the composite camera, the highline version.
Mine was a bit of a b***h to calibrate. You'll either need a VAS 6350 or a very good printer.

Some information I collected from all over the internet over time:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BxYPV ... DFIbXJFMDQ
Adam87
Bronze Member

Adam’s T5.1 GP

Post by Adam87 »

Thanks iichel, no it’s actually a grey plug and only a Low camera, I wasn’t too fussed about having the moving lines as the camera is over to one side anyway because it’s barn door, out of interest is the Highline camera a better picture?Image
iichel

Post by iichel »

I think the quality of the camera image is mainly dependent on the camera itself.
I'm not too impressed by the camera, the quality is not very good in low light. it's quite grainy. i'm mostly parking in parking garages where lighting is not very bright.
overall I'd say the lines are a nice addition for the retrofit-addict but not sure they're worth it. you'll be happy with the lowline cam in the barn door, for sure!

I almost forgot you have the discovery media headunit so the composite will work on your camera too. I'm not sure the highline system then will work.
the RNS lowline camera has the sRGB (4 wires) to a 26 pin connector, but the discovery series will take a composite signal (2 wires) directly to the quadlock.

my highline camera:
camera == 2 wires FAKRA (composite) === module === sRGB (4 wires) to 26 pin === RNS

lowline camera for RNS (i.e. what Fernando has)
camera ======= 4 wires FAKRA ========= sRGB (4 wires) to 26 pin === RNS

your system:
camera == 2 wires FAKRA (composite) === quadlock === DM
ag69
Silver Member
Drives: 1.2TSi 77Kw 7DSG

Post by ag69 »

Super duper car i mean van ;)!!!!!
no doubt it is an inspiration to all of us here.
CNK
Gold Member
Drives: 6R

Post by CNK »

iichel wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:02 pm I almost forgot you have the discovery media headunit so the composite will work on your camera too. I'm not sure the highline system then will work.
the RNS lowline camera has the sRGB (4 wires) to a 26 pin connector, but the discovery series will take a composite signal (2 wires) directly to the quadlock.
For now, it is a fairly high price, and it is not known what about the camera.. but.. Michel, if you want to do a Discover Media retrofit, in Poland they cost about 2,5-3K PLN. So if you want I can help with the purchase. I wrote once with several sellers, some are already activated, some require online activation..

https://allegro.pl/listing?string=disco ... t-1-2-0115
https://www.olx.pl/motoryzacja/q-discov ... rice%3Aasc

:wink: