Car is an iceblock

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
gaza1994
Bronze Member
Drives: Match 1.4 2012 (6r) (85ps)

Car is an iceblock

Post by gaza1994 »

Hi guys,
Car has been left for 3 days (and its quite cold -3 to -5 ish for the past few days)

Now - i went to unlock my car, grabbed the handle and the handle wouldnt budge, finally got the door handle to unfreeze then the car door wouldnt open (this was the case for all 4 doors - the boot worked however)

Got inside the car all 4 doors where condesned up and the windscreen had a thin layer of ice over it (inside the car).

Am i right on saying, this should not be happening? and what can i do to prevent this in the future.

Worth adding: car isnt wet nor is anything wet inside the car and i couldnt find any puddles (or frozen puddles in this case) inside the car)
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Re: Car is an iceblock

Post by RUM4MO »

Hum, that should only happen if there was significant moisture in the air in the car and that moisture, ie water vapour, has headed for the coldest areas.

The sticking doors, I'd reckon that it will be the rubber door seals, you now need to "dress" them with a suitable compound/grease to stop them holding onto moisture on their surfaces.

The compound/grease used by VW etc on "soft tops" is said to work well and can be bought via the internet/ebay, I have some of the original manufacturer's version of that "fairy dust" - but I can't quite remember its name, and yes it still looks a bit cold out there!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:18 am Hum, that should only happen if there was significant moisture in the air in the car and that moisture, ie water vapour, has headed for the coldest areas.

The sticking doors, I'd reckon that it will be the rubber door seals, you now need to "dress" them with a suitable compound/grease to stop them holding onto moisture on their surfaces.

The compound/grease used by VW etc on "soft tops" is said to work well and can be bought via the internet/ebay, I have some of the original manufacturer's version of that "fairy dust" - but I can't quite remember its name, and yes it still looks a bit cold out there!
It’s Krytox. VW used to use it on the roof seals on the hardtop/convertible roof of the Eos. I’ve not used Krytox but seem to remember It’s quite expensive from discussions on other forums, although you only need to use a little so it lasts a long time. An alternative that does much the same thing that I have used is Gummi Pflege and is readily available on eBay and Amazon. The effects may not last quite as long as Krytox but it’s quite a bit cheaper. Both Krytox and Gummi Pflege are very good at curing noisy, creaking door seals too, which is what I’ve used it for on my Polo and my previous Golf.
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

RUM4MO wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:18 am Hum, that should only happen if there was significant moisture in the air in the car and that moisture, ie water vapour, has headed for the coldest areas.

I'm not really too sure where the moisture is held in the car though!

Nothing is damp or wet when i leave it, and i always try "airing the car out" before turning it off for the nite!
SRGTD
Drives: 2020 AW Polo GTI+, Pure White.

Post by SRGTD »

A wet/blocked pollen filter can cause the symptoms you describe. I had this happen to me many years ago in a non-VW car. New pollen filter fitted, and no more steamy windows.

I personally haven’t experienced condensation/moisture problems in my car. I do use my air con 24/7 which does help to keep the air dry inside the car.
gaza1994
Bronze Member

Post by gaza1994 »

SRGTD wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:54 am A wet/blocked pollen filter can cause the symptoms you describe. I had this happen to me many years ago in a non-VW car. New pollen filter fitted, and no more steamy windows.

I personally haven’t experienced condensation/moisture problems in my car. I do use my air con 24/7 which does help to keep the air dry inside the car.
My car is due a service, so that would maybe be the cause of it :)