Slight rev (too about 1k) when releasing clutch and not in gear

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Bevii3
New
Drives: Polo BlueGT

Slight rev (too about 1k) when releasing clutch and not in gear

Post by Bevii3 »

For the first time today I've noticed this and it's never done it before. I have a 63 plate bluegt. I got home parked up and when taking it out of gear and releasing the clutch the car revved a bit and went straight back down to normal idle again. I tried pressing it down and releasing a few times and it kept doing it. I restarted the car not that it would change anything but It did it yet again. Anyone know what it could be? Is it a sign of the clutch starting to go? I've only recently hit 19k miles..
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Re: Slight rev (too about 1k) when releasing clutch and not in gear

Post by PoloBlueGT »

I would be surprised if the clutch was on its way out at only 19k. I have a 64 Blue GT and I’ve done almost 47k in it and the clutch is still fine and I’ve not drove like miss daisy. I have noticed it will have that little rev but it also does it sat in traffic
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

That is the way things are meant to be, the engine ECU knows when the cutch pedal is raised because there is a switch/switches on that clutch pedal. The intention is to increase the engine speed as the load is applied.
Bevii3
New

Post by Bevii3 »

Are you sure? As it's never done it before which is why I thought I'd ask here on the forums. So your car does this too?
Nirline6R
New
Drives: 6R R LINE

Post by Nirline6R »

That's how it's meant to be. You can test it yourself. Just put in 1st and slowly release the clutch a little (not even half way) without using any gas. The RPM's should increase a bit (to about 1-1.1k). If you re-press the pedal to the floor quicly you will se the RPM's increasing to 1.2-1.5k as the load is taken away from the engine and the ecu couldn't process it.Same goes if you are in a hill and want to hold the car still using the clutch-gas. You can give it some gas and release the clutch to the point the car stays still. Once it's still you can take your foot off the gas and the car holds the value needed to keep the car still.
PoloBlueGT
Bronze Member
Drives: Landrover Freelander

Post by PoloBlueGT »

Yes as RUM4MO has said previously the car is anticipating for you to press the accelerator. I’ve had no issues with it thus far 😁
Bevii3
New

Post by Bevii3 »

Right ok thanks guys you've made me feel more at ease. But it's definitely not revved just from the clutch without being in gear like that before. If it does it again tomorrow I may film it and upload it just to be sure. Thanks for the help
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

It could be a faulty clutch pedal switch. This is a known behaviour on other VW engines.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

sounds like an anti-staill system
Bevii3
New

Post by Bevii3 »

well i tried to get it to repeat it again today both before and after the journey to work and it didnt do it, so not sure what happened really, i just know its never done it before. ill just keep an eye on it and if it happens again ill give my local garage a visit and get their opinion