Removing front suspension issues. HELP NEEDED!

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Sam Murray
New
Drives: 6r

Re: Removing front suspension issues. HELP NEEDED!

Post by Sam Murray »

Where can I buy the nuts from? and if not will I be ok temporarily using the old ones ? I understand that there self locking but if I tighten them up to about 100nm will it be ok ? I mean I don’t want it to fall appart but I really don’t like cycling to work.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Like any other parts, VW, SEAT or Skoda dealership.

Remember to wait until Alex has confirmed or disputed my 100Nm figure as that is quite "big" for an M8 fastener.
iichel
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Post by iichel »

from the factory repair manual
alexperkins
Site Admin
Drives: 91 Golf GTI, 01 TT 225, 54 T5 174

Post by alexperkins »

Michel beat me :lol:

I will add that the TT has M8s on the balljoint and they are also 100nm. Crazy tight but hey they set the rules
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

Yes, gulp!

I have just checked my records for replacing the front springs etc on a late 2009 Ibiza, same car in that area, and I'd stupidly recorded that I torqued them up to 40Nm + 45 degrees as per the 6R Polo workshop manual and then added an exclamation mark, so I can only guess that I did use 100Nm as per the 6R Polo workshop manual as I can't think of any other reason why I would find the need to add an exclamation mark after that comment. (tip to myself, if you are going to record doing work, then record it accurately!)

Edit:- I think that some of that "extra" torque is being used to overcome the resistance that the nut with its built in spreader washer causes against the wishbone. So, only ever use the same pattern of nut if applying that torque and don't any lubricant to be anywhere near that captive bolt or where that nut bears against on the wishbone.