Rear wheel bearings

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
1eighteen
New
Drives: Polo 1.2TSI

Rear wheel bearings

Post by 1eighteen »

Hi guys.

I have a 2010 1.2TSI (105ps - remapped to 130ps)

Do you need any special tools for replacing the rear wheel bearings ? I have just done the fronts, using the correct 5 stud puller tool, but have sold it on and now the local garage reckons my rears also need replacing !!! Typical !

I have a really good stock of the usual tools, but do I need any special pullers or anything ?

Cheers.
Wayne
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Rear wheel bearings

Post by iichel »

so you'll start with removing the wheel, the brake disc caliper and brake disc carrier.
then you'll chisel off the bearing cap cover and using a 30mm 12-point socket you can remove the nut holding it in place.
you should be able to just pull off the bearing.

install the new bearing according to the manual and VW recommendations and use the correct amount of torque to fasten it.

in my experience, using a puller could be useful but I didn't need it (even though i had one)
1eighteen
New
Drives: Polo 1.2TSI

Post by 1eighteen »

iichel wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 pm you should be able to just pull off the bearing.
That's what I needed to know. That's great. Thanks for the reply.
RUM4MO
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

I think maybe to clear things up, the rear hub should be replaced along with the bearing, ie buy this lot as an assembly, maybe someone can suggest a brand that you should be aiming to buy.

The new assembly should come with a new "use once selflocking nut" and new cover.