Tyre wear

Chat about your 6R/6C model Polos here!
Fox1429
Getting There!
Drives: GTI

Tyre wear

Post by Fox1429 »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same issue.

I’ve noticed that my front tyres are wearing more on the inside quarter of both tyres.

I check the pressures and make sure they’re correct on a weekly basis.

I have the standard Bridgestones on the car (which have lasted 13000 miles thus far so can’t conplain about that) but the outside/middle tread is at 3mm but the inside is down to the markers.

Is this normal or do I have an issue?

Cheers.
iichel
Bling Bling Diamond Member
Drives: Polo 6R 2.0 TDI, Passat B8 2.0 TSI

Re: Tyre wear

Post by iichel »

what is the size you're using of both the tyres and the rims and what pressure are you using?
Dink
Platinum Member
Drives: 2015 GTI

Post by Dink »

That seems to be the way the 6c is setup is it wears the inside edge.

at least it gives gives you a reason the get rid of the awful bridgestones
Fox1429
Getting There!

Post by Fox1429 »

iichel wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:48 pm what is the size you're using of both the tyres and the rims and what pressure are you using?
Standard tyres 215/40 17 (6C GTI)
39 psi front
35 psi rear
As per instructions.

As long as it’s not something wrong with the car I’m happy enough to have got 13000 out of the tyres.

Wanted to check it wasn’t just mine - do you think it is worth mentioning during servicing (due next month)?
RUM4MO
Drives: B8 S4 & 6R/6C1 1.2TSI 110

Post by RUM4MO »

For a GTI I'd say that you are taking an awful risk running with tread depths as low as that, especially at this time of year, normally you will find that GTI versions have slightly shorter and stiffer coil springs, now with simple suspension designs like that on the Polo, shorter springs will always mean a trend towards more -VE camber, which leads to uneven tyre wear. I'm guessing if you check the factory specs for GTI against that for lesser Polos, you will find that the front camber spec will be slightly towards more -VE - that is unless VW Group are using different lower arms on GTIs in compensate for the shorter springs.

BTW there is normally a trend towards more -VE front camber on cars had have higher engine outputs as it improves road holding, but higher engine output models also tend to have wider tyres, so when taken together uneven tyre wear is one of the outcomes.

In contrast, my daughter has a late 2009 SEAT Ibiza 1.4 16V SC - so that is a normal or low powered engined car with normal length front springs and wide tyres, and it wears all its tyres evenly across the wide.
Polonut
New
Drives: 2020 Polo Match 1Litre TSI

Post by Polonut »

Wear on both tyres on the inner edges suggests that the vehicle is toeing out too much. Go to a reputable garage with modern equipment for a check and correction.
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Polonut wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:52 pm Wear on both tyres on the inner edges suggests that the vehicle is toeing out too much. Go to a reputable garage with modern equipment for a check and correction.
That would depend on if the wear was jagged/toothed or just tapered wear, I think that you would feel the difference if you rubbed your hand over the surface of these tyres.
veteran
Silver Member
Drives: TSI 90 Match Edition 1.2

Post by veteran »

Rum4mo,

What would each of those types of wear indicate?
RUM4MO

Post by RUM4MO »

Serious tracking errors normally leads to "toothed" pattern on treads, ie if you rub your hands over the tyre, round the tyre front to back or back to front, you can feel the tread pattern gripping your hand. In my experience, and you could argue that a tracking error or a camber error both end up with the tyre not being "true" to the direction of normal travel, with only a camber error, the tyre wear is uneven but "smooth" across the tyre, more like a taper/chamfer over the inner (or outer) 1/3 of the tyre width.
joe6
Bronze Member
Drives: Golf Mk6 GTI (Scirocco gone) Polo 6c GTI

Post by joe6 »

I have done 10k miles and the difference between outer and inner tread depth is 1mm. I do a lot of dual carriageway and motor way journeys so not as much cornering. Probably worth checking wheel alignment when you get new tyres. Speed bumps and potholes can throw out the tracking.
Fox1429
Getting There!

Post by Fox1429 »

Thanks for all the replies.
I’ll get the tracking / alignment checked when I change the tyres.